Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default PA Steel Shooters League

Hey all..

Is anyone involved with the PA Steel Shooters League?

http://www.steelshooters.com

I'm interested in joining the league and competing in the rimfire division (at least to start). I've never shot any type of competition before, and I was just hoping to get a sense of what the league is like, the attitudes of the shooters towards new people, etc.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Chris

(Delaware County)

Default Re: PA Steel Shooters League

I shot it for several years before I decided that it was teaching me bad habits and I decided to dedicate my limited time to USPSA and ICORE.

The matches go pretty quickly, so if time is an issue you can be in and out. I would usually "shoot for fun" and run an auto in the morning and a revolver in the afternoon flight. The staff were efficient and always put on a quality match.

Like every shooting game I've tried, the shooters understand that new blood is the future of the sport. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Suggestions if you want them and the good sense to keep quiet if you don't. After you get to know everyone, there will be plenty of atta boys for the good runs and good natured ribbing for the bad.

For the first matches, go with gun in hand starts, and then move to a draw when you're more comfortable. Make sure you have at least 5 magazines or speed loaders. 6 is better. Show up early for your first match and announce yourself as a new shooter. They'll want to do a safety check before they let you shoot. That's just making sure you can load, unload, not sweep yourself or others and follow range commands. You'll need to do the same the first time you go from a holster.

All in all it was plenty of fun and inexpensive to boot. I'd shoot it again if I had more time.

Remember... Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!