Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help each other save $$$

As most of us have cars/trucks we are all concerned about gas prices...So it is only natural we would want to save where we can. Here is a link that may help you save some of your hard earned money/ http://www.internetautoguide.com/gas-prices/31-int/pennsylvania/index.html

Prices of every thing seem to be going up these days. So every penny counts mostly if you are planning on a new gun related purchase So help keep up the site, they take updates on a regular basis and post the top (low) gas prices by state, county and even city!!!
    At 20 MPG, and a $60+ fillup price, if I can save $4.00 per fillup, I can buy more bullets!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Help each other save $$$

I take the train to classes, saves me 40 miles of driving every weekday and trying to find parking in philly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I take the train to classes, saves me 40 miles of driving every weekday and trying to find parking in philly.
    Must be nice to have that luxury. From where I live, if you dont have a car/truck you dont go very far, to where I work, there is no other means then by car, closest bus stops about 4 miles from there and only a few times per day. I cant remember the last time I seen a bus there.
    But based on the schedules, I would need to take a bus about 3 miles from here to transfer to a bus that goes to Pittsburgh. Then the bus from Pittsburgh to where (close to where) I work (4 more transfers) , this means by the schedule, I would need to leave around 3 am to get to work by 7 am, and get back home around 8 pm. Not what i considder a saving (time wise) compared to the 20 minute drive if I go directly to where I work rather then take a bus 20 miles to Pittsburgh only to go 12 miles from my home. Not to mention, if I was to only consider bus routes, I would probably get there faster walking to work, as the walk to and from the bus stop would actually be as long.

I see on the bus schedule how the Bus suposedly goes near where I work, but in reality, I have never seen a bus there and very rarely see any near where I live.

I was actually thinking about getting a scooter for comuting to work at one point, but with the hills around here I could see that being a pain as well.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood

(Philadelphia County)

heh, it's not a luxury riding septa. In fact, septa's so fucking expensive i don't think i actually save any money. On the bright side, i never have to sit in traffic and can get work done on the train.

(Mercer County)

It must be nice to have the option public transportation, the area which I live has none, no train, bus, or taxi service and I am stuck with a 194 mile round trip daily round to work (due to a forced transfer).

I won't even talk about my gas bill---tried the "share-a-ride" and was still driving over 60 miles daily--gave that up, as too many hassles.

A couple of years ago when prices for gas got close $3.00 a gallon to save money I just "re-located" my motor home closer to my work and live out of it for 3 or 4 days a week. Not a great solution but sure saved me a bundle.

People I know have sugguested moving to area that I work, but when transfered I only had 4 years till I retirement, the hassle of selling my home, moving, then moving again went I retire that's not an option for me.

Will be retiring for the second and last time this October or November...

oracle
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; September 4th, 2007 at 05:35 AM. Reason: content
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

I was actually thinking about getting a scooter for comuting to work at one point, but with the hills around here I could see that being a pain as well.

Yep. I have never seen a bus up my way either.
    My Jeep gets about 15 mpg and it was killing me! I broke down and got a bike. To be fair I really wanted one anyways, but 60+ mpg just made it worthwhile. Consider a little Ninja, you can get them new for 3k, used for about 1.5-2. Cheap runners and fine for commuting. I can't tell you the last time I took the Jeep into work, must be around two weeks. That's a huge savings!

You can follow the adventure of getting my bike :Here and it contains a LOT of good tips from the resident pros.

Brian

(Washington County)

If you have Giant Eagle and and Get-Go's near you, get a Giant Eagle advantage card. For every $50 you spend, you get $0.10 off per gallon on fuel at Get-Go. Up to 30 gallons, and one vehicle only. It shuts off at 30 gallons, but they never notice if you bring two vehicles. We usually wait until it's up to a dollar or so off, then save $30 plus at the pump.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

The Giant Eagle deal is great if you buy those gift cards, but if you shop there... Lets just say that an average basket at Giant Eagle compared to any other store grocery is high, but if you compare it to Wal-Mart grocery, its outrageous. Wife loves them frozen meals, Giant Eagle, $378 Wal-Mart $1.25

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    If you have Giant Eagle and and Get-Go's near you, get a Giant Eagle advantage card. For every $50 you spend, you get $0.10 off per gallon on fuel at Get-Go. Up to 30 gallons, and one vehicle only. It shuts off at 30 gallons, but they never notice if you bring two vehicles. We usually wait until it's up to a dollar or so off, then save $30 plus at the pump.

Vince
    My amex card gives me 5% cash back on gas, groceries and drug stores. No strings attached. Can't beat that.

(Lancaster County)

Wow that must suck...The prelude I am buying gets close to 40 Mpg...How about them apples!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast