Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default School shootings..ARM the Teachers!

The recent school shootings bring up a point related to the LTCF....ask yourself...what if that teacher had been armed? I'd feel SAFER with my child if such were the case!! Its a LOW cost solution too!!

Teachers (at Public Schools at least) should have the RIGHT to be armed at work. Technically the law seems to indicate it IS legal since obviously teachers do have "legitimate purpose" for being on premises. Of course none of us have dared to be a test case for fear of persecution by LawEnforcement/DA's and the anti-gun Democratic run schools.

My wife is a teacher and I have taught before. The paperwork and background checks are extensive and include fingerprinting....teachers are assuredly not criminals! Ideally carry should be extended just on a LTCF. How about bringing Eddie Eagle to the schools to teach proper safety....like that would EVER happen!
    With the constantly increasing threat of terrorism our schools are a HIGHLY likely target...yet security is a joke. I'm seriously considering home schooling when my kid is of school age if they continue to leave my child vulnerable to terrorists and predators. All the locks, door buzzers, metal detectors and cameras are BS if there is no one to respond Immediately to a threat. Schools cops? No thanks...not big on raising my kid in a "police state". Besides...like on the street they cant be everywhere and even with one at each school reaction time is CRITICAL...just not as fast as Teacher with a gun.
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
    T I'm seriously considering home schooling when my kid is of school age if they continue to leave my child vulnerable to terrorists and predators.
    I would encourage you to home school your kid, not based on security measures, but based on arming your kid with a decent education.

It goes beyond my comprehension, how the public education system can be so atrocious given that the budget is astronomical.

Im can say this, because I did a couple of years of highschool in Argentina, and four years of highschool in the U.S. (FYI, I was never held back, its just the way the schedules work).

Just go talk to some kids, they can't do math, most are not aware there's a world outside the borders, they can barely read & write, ect.

Back on topic though, I agree that teachers should be able to CCW at school if they choose to do so, and are provided with the training to do it safely.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    It goes beyond my comprehension, how the public education system can be so atrocious given that the budget is astronomical.
    It shouldn't come as any suprise since the public education system is just another rotting branch of an overbloated government...

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Back on topic though, I agree that teachers should be able to CCW at school if they choose to do so, and are provided with the training to do it safely.
    As I alluded to in the other thread there is no way to get this done. The logisitcs alone are impractical.

A) You have to pass legislation.

B) The Governor must sign the Bill and if he vetoes it, you have a political dogfight or worse, the issue BECOMES politicized.

C) You have to provide funding for training.

D) The training has to be meaningful.

E) The competency standards MUST reflect the realities of armed carry / armed intervention.

F) Unless the teacher is motivated the training, funding and political capital spent on passing the legislation will have been wasted.
    Last edited by TonyF; October 5th, 2006 at 01:12 PM.

(Luzerne County)

School children vulnerable to terrorists and predators? Well, better lock them in the basement because they are just as vulnerable at the playground, park, corner candy store and even your own back yard.

If someone is hell bent on doing a horrific deed, there is almost nothing that can be done to stop it. Arm teachers? No thanks. I've seen plenty of teachers in my day and I would not want any of my kids to be around them knowing they might be armed.

If he decided to drive his tanker truck through the school, what then? Build schools in underground bunkers?

(Montgomery County)

Jest heard on the radio that some legislator just proposed to allow teachers who have carry permits the right to carry at school. I don't know what state. I only caught a snipped of the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    As I alluded to in the other thread there is no way to get this done. The logisitcs alone are impractical.

A) You have to pass legislation.

B) The Governor must sign the Bill and if he vetoes it, you have a political dogfight or worse, the issue BECOMES politicized.

C) You have to provide funding for training.

D) The training has to be meaningful.

E) The competency standards MUST reflect the realities of armed carry / armed intervention.

F) Unless the teacher is motivated the training, funding and political capital spent on passing the legislation will have been wasted.

Not only that. You have a much bigger problem. There is no way, no how, even if you pass all the laws allowing teachers to carry and even if you fund it. No atty for any school district would ever dream of allowing any of the teachers to carry. The liability is way too great. Heck, I am not even talking about a teacher blowing a bystanding kid as she tries to hit a BG, or a high school student grabbing a gun from a teacher and exacting his revenge on another student. I asure you that if there is a 6-yo kid that comes from a very anti-gun family and he sees a gun that his teacher has, then he is going to freak out, have nightmares, etc.-- the parents would likely be victorious in suit for NIED.

And do you really think that the teachers' union would ever support any of their members carrying?

Yes, I'd love to see a teacher being hailed a hero for blowing away some BGs. But no matter how much I or you think that it would be a great idea, in today's world it is simply impossible.
    Last edited by TotalNewbie; October 6th, 2006 at 11:02 PM.

Default Just arm the students!

CMP Club & Competition Tracker
    Name: Ambridge High School
    URL:

Type of Organization: Marine JROTC Unit with Marksmanship
    Open Membership: This club is accepting new members

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubInfo.cgi?clubID=1569
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Union County)

I usually avoid these types of discussions. I have been told that my politically beliefs are to the right of Attila the Hun or Joe Stalin.

NO you don't arm the school teachers in either public or private schools, you don't arm the airline pilots, you don't arm the judges in their court rooms, etc.

This is creating a elite groups, people who are above the laws that John Q. Public has to abide by.

You can arm the school teachers (school teachers can't even control their students and you want to arm them) when I can walk into a school armed.

You can arm the airline pilots (what good is arming the pilot when he is sitting in the planes cabin behind a locked door) when I can carry on a domestic flight.

You can arm the judge when I can walk into the court house armed.

Another problem this would cause is having unqualified people running around with firearms when the SHTF creating more problems for law enforcement.

Ok have fun and flame me, I can take it.

grizz

(Montgomery County)

No, your right. Don't arm anyone. Just allow the ones who have permits to carry. Teachers, students in college, visiting parents, etc.

We don't need everyone carrying. We just need the thugs to have to guess who is. And for the thugs to know that when they do bad things someone might fight back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast