Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Ruger LCP

(Lehigh County)

Default New Ruger LCP

I just picked one up last week. Haven't shot it yet but I cycled a few mags of 90gr Gold Dots racking the slide sharply & there were a few FTE's. I see the feed ramp is not polished & either the copper from the GDHP's is being deposited on the feed ramp. I have not yet fired a shot from it yet.

My question: I was wondering if I took to polishing the feed ramp on my own, how would this effect any warranty on the pistol? Here is a pic:

I have a dremel & I have poished stuff before but I just don't want to have an issue in case I need to send this back for any reason.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HeXeD775; March 1st, 2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Forgot my manners

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New Ruger LCP

I had the same thing happen to me when I got my LCP. However, I took it out and shot a couple of boxes through it, as I have seen recommended, and had no failures. In retrospect, I might have been too gentle in racking the slide by hand -- the ammo was much more effective.

It's not much fun to shoot -- long, heavy trigger and hard to get a good grip, so practice would seem essential. The sights are hardly visible even in the daylight -- I bought the Crimson Trace laser LG431 ~$160 which is very functional. Most holster makers sell a version to accommodate the laser.

Happy shooting.

got my lcp a year ago, had some ftf problems by it went away. however always had light primer strikes with Hollowpoints, all the major brand i've tried. anyway i recently just got it back from ruger, they replace all the springs in the gun. feels new, so far i've fed it hornady and it ate it up.

(Northampton County)

I wouldn't try polishing it rite away, espically with a dremel. Try puttin a couple hundred rounds down range and let the FMJ's polish that ramp for you.And at the end of your range session try some HP ammo and see how it feeds.If you really want to polish it, Go to advance auto parts store and get some 2000 grit wet dry papper, and get a empty shell case,wrap it around the empty case and rub it up and down to you get a nice shine.(remember your not changing the shape just making it shine). This advice was givin to me before and does work. I polished the barrel on my XD 40, even though it eats anything i put in it. I wanted to try it out.

Good luck
    Mathews Z7

(York County)

Don't polish anything until you determine it suffers FTE's when shooting. It's pretty tough to grab that slide and cycle manually.
    The slide travel is so short, even if you think you're releasing it quickly, I think manual release (or cycling) slows it down just enough to cause failures.
    When I load mine, if I pull the slide back and release it, I'll get occasional failures to feed. If I use the slide release, it feeds fine.
    BTW, I dn't use them, but I expect wide mouthed hollowpoints may not feed reliably either. I use Hornady Critical Defense which cycles quite nicely.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Lehigh County)

Thank you for all the information. I will have a chance for a range session this weekend & we shall see what happens. I was really concered about alot of owners on elsiepeaforum.com that had posted FTE's during shooting & many had recommended using felt & jewler's rouge/dremel polish compound for a nice mirror polish. Then tere were some new owners that did not list any problems.

I have heard this is was not made for pleasurable shooting & I fully expect the worst when i goto pull the trigger. I plan on a CT LG-431 & a crossbreed (either minituck or micro clip) So far I love the concealability that LCP provides.

Thanks again.

Remember when you manually cycle the pistol your trying to eject the whole bullet not just the caseing. Shoot 200 rounds through it then check back with us with your findings.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HeXeD775 View Post
    Thank you for all the information. I will have a chance for a range session this weekend & we shall see what happens. I was really concered about alot of owners on elsiepeaforum.com that had posted FTE's during shooting & many had recommended using felt & jewler's rouge/dremel polish compound for a nice mirror polish. Then tere were some new owners that did not list any problems.

I have heard this is was not made for pleasurable shooting & I fully expect the worst when i goto pull the trigger. I plan on a CT LG-431 & a crossbreed (either minituck or micro clip) So far I love the concealability that LCP provides.

Thanks again.
    Geez....it's no biggie....if you shoot enough you don't pay any attention to recoil. You pay attention to shooting. But a Hogue Jr. slip on will be a BIG help for controlability.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by HeXeD775 View Post
    I have heard this is was not made for pleasurable shooting...
    It's not made for "pleasurable" shooting as the LCP has, for all intents and purposes, no sights. Not a target pistol...more of a point and shoot gun.
    As far as shooting, it's not bad at all (remember, no +P ammo in this gun).
    You do want a firm grip though. The polymer frame probably isn't as susceptable to limpwristing as much as a gun the size of a Glock, but it'll still flex more then steel.
    With Hornady Critical Defense rounds, recoil isn't bad at all.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Jefferson County)

I had a couple stovepipes in the first box I shot through my LCP. Either it got worked in or I was limp wristing. The recoil on the LCP is pretty snappy, I imagine you just aren't racking it hard enough.

Hope you're not running mags through with live ammo.