Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limp wrist?

(Delaware County)

Default Limp wrist?

I have been shooting my springfield XD45 for about a year now, and lately maybe every 20 rounds I get a jam, I was told by the RO at the range that I was not holding the gun correctly and that my problem was Limp wrist, never had the problem before so could he be right? anybody else have or have had this problem?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Limp wrist?

Limp Wristing a pistol means that you are not allowing your body to absorb the recoil. Your wrists are flexing too soon. This is causing the slide to not go all the way back. This is what we call short stroking.

Next time you go to the range try to lock your wrists and elbows so the recoil pushes your entire upper body. If you want to check the pistol you can allow a shooter who is more familiar with your pistol try it out. If they don't have an issue, and you continue to, then limp wristing is the issue.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(York County)

You need to tell us more about the jam. Is it a stovepipe type of jam? Is the fired round still in the chamber and another is forced into the first?

More info please.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    You need to tell us more about the jam. Is it a stovepipe type of jam? Is the fired round still in the chamber and another is forced into the first?

More info please.
    No the fired round is gone and the next one is only partially moved upwards,

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by harley104 View Post

I also have an XD45 and the only time this ever happened to me was when shooting cheapie Winchester white box hollow points from WalMart.

So... what were you shooting?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post

More info please.
    My thoughts. Sounds like something else can be going on.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I also have an XD45 and the only time this ever happened to me was when shooting cheapie Winchester white box hollow points from WalMart.

So... what were you shooting?
    Remington hollow points (new)

(Chester County)

How long have you owned/shot the gun? If this is a new problem, then it's highly improbable it's to do with limp wristing.

Get someone else to fire it and see if they have the same problem.

I also find new pistols can fail to chamber a round and usually put a dab of lubricant on the feed ramp for the first couple of hundred rounds.

EDIT: I re-read the OP. Try a different mag, maybe the one you are using is damaged at the top.

Also, are you trying a new type of ammo you've never put through the gun before?

I would start with the magazine. Is a single mag the culpret? Try only using one mag for several rounds and look for problems. Try the other. If you can't isolate it to a single mag, maybe you could try changing out the recoil spring. If those don't help, then I would say you are limping it.
    Jules

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by harley104 View Post
    As in the top of the 'bullet' is hitting the top of the barrel, and the 'case' is touching the feed ramp?

Assuming that your NOT limp wristing:

It could be that brand of ammo (underpowered or too short) like Crumudgen said, try different ammo after cleaning.

Your XD may not like shorter (over all length) rounds. If you were a reloader you could adjust this and make it go away.

I personally would give the gun a thourough cleaning, including your magazines (tear them down and lightly oil them). After a good cleaning, if it persists, then look into a different ammo (try to go longer if you can).

Chances are good that you are Limp Wristing though
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast