Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Darn Lawrence County sheriff...

So my buddy just bought his first firearm for carry purposes. (a GEORGEOUS Springfield armory 1911 A1) I'm jealous. AAAAAAANYWAYS... before he bought the gun, he got his ltcf. He got the same form letter I got, and posted here a while back, which makes it SOUND like carrying a firearm openly after recieving the ltcf was illegal!

I quickly dispatched his fears, because that's his intended style of carry. I gave him all the information i could find on here about the situation, and he seemed satisfied with that. Well, i guess his wife got to him because he called the sheriffs office after i spoke with him. Quickly after his chat with the sheriff, he called me back almost in a hissy fit. He started screaming about how the sheriff told him that if he open carries in the county of lawrence, the police WILL ARREST HIM, CHARGE HIM WITH A MISDEMEANER, AND REVOKE HIS LTCF!!!! And how he got very upset about the topic. I guess the sheriff isn't very open carry friendly. My friend said he read that open carry was legal in PA to the sheriff, and his responce was, "don't believe everything you read."

I wanted to contact the sheriff myself, and maybe get him on the right track of open carry friendliness, but I'm not a very good wordsmith like some of the people here are. If you could either help me out by giving me suggestions as to what i could say to him, or if you want to contact him yourselves, go for it. It's the Lawrence County Sheriffs office.

Sheriff Perry L. Quahliero
    430 Court Street
    New Castle, PA 16101
    724-658-2541
    Last edited by Bmarshall91; March 2nd, 2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: had to edit to correct a false statement.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Darn Lawrence County sheriff...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    I wanted to contact the sheriff myself, and maybe get him on the right track of open carry friendliness, but I'm not a very good wordsmith like some of the people here are.
    Dear Sheriff Quahliero,

Open carry is legal, so go suck it.

Sincerely,
    gnbrotz

The above is meant as sarcastic humor, because the OP asked for someone who could draft a well-worded letter to the Sheriff. Obviously, taking the above tact is not the appropriate way to realistically address this type of issue.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; March 3rd, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Blair County)

Did he ask him what the charge would be?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Dear Sheriff Quahliero,

Sincerely,
    gnbrotz
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. Coming from you GN i about spit my pop all over my laptop! hahaha. You were one of the people on here whom i expected to hop in and give a nice long paragraph about how i can go about this more informed. Giving examples of court cases stating such action is legal, stating the uniform training act (er whatever that training you guys here are always saying the police need to read)... and so-on and so-forth... haha.. never expected "Go suck it!"

nice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    So my buddy just bought his first firearm for carry purposes. (a GEORGEOUS Springfield armory 1911 A1) I'm jealous. AAAAAAANYWAYS... before he bought the gun, he got his ltcf. He got the same form letter I got, and posted here a while back, which makes it SOUND like carrying a firearm openly after recieving the ltcf was illegal!

I quickly dispatched his fears, because that's his intended style of carry. I gave him all the information i could find on here about the situation, and he seemed satisfied with that. Well, i guess his wife got to him because he called the sheriffs office after i spoke with him. Quickly after his chat with the sheriff, he called me back almost in a hissy fit. He started screaming about how the sheriff told him that if he open carries in the county of lawrence, the police WILL ARREST HIM, CHARGE HIM WITH A MISDEMEANER, AND REVOKE HIS LTCF!!!! And how he got very upset about the topic. I guess the sheriff isn't very open carry friendly. My friend read the pamflet to the sheriff, and his responce was, "don't believe everything you read."

I wanted to contact the sheriff myself, and maybe get him on the right track of open carry friendliness, but I'm not a very good wordsmith like some of the people here are. If you could either help me out by giving me suggestions as to what i could say to him, or if you want to contact him yourselves, go for it. It's the Lawrence County Sheriffs office.

Sheriff Perry L. Quahliero
    430 Court Street
    New Castle, PA 16101
    724-658-2541
    If you post the letter, and can relate exactly what was said to your friend (i.e. reason for arrest, what the subsequent charge would be, etc) then I can write an open records request letter to the sheriff regarding the Open Carry policy he's stated. I will also take the time to call the Sheriff tomorrow.

(Chester County)

Maybe you should respectfully provide him with a copy of the recent MPOETC training on the carry issue. Specifically suggest he read questions #1 thru 3.

http://www.lildobe.net/PAFOA_Docs/MP...pdate_2009.pdf
    IANAL

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Maybe you should respectfully provide him with a copy of the recent MPOETC training on the carry issue. Specifically suggest he read questions #1 thru 3.

http://www.lildobe.net/PAFOA_Docs/MP...pdate_2009.pdf
    As well as 6120, so he doesn't assume he can implement his own additional regulations on mode of carry in his county.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Did he ask him what the charge would be?
    I do not believe he did. He was just awestruck because he was told by me that it was legal, and by the sheriff that it wasn't....

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Dear Sheriff Quahliero,

Sincerely,
    gnbrotz
    you're being unusually verbose.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    you're being unusually verbose.
    I felt it was worthwhile to comprehensively expound on the clear differences of legal interpretation held be the esteemed constabulary and myself.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast