Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Non-plated bullets for .45 ACP

What are the major disadvantages (if any) in using non-plated bullets for .45 ACP. I'm looking at the prices for plated vs plain cast bullets and the difference is significant.

If it matters I'm shooting with an XD and this is simply for target practice.

Follow-up: Does anyone have any positive or negative thoughts about this particular bullet

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Non-plated bullets for .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    What are the major disadvantages (if any) in using non-plated bullets for .45 ACP. I'm looking at the prices for plated vs plain cast bullets and the difference is significant.

If it matters I'm shooting with an XD and this is simply for target practice.

Follow-up: Does anyone have any positive or negative thoughts about this particular bullet
    IMO there is no disadvantage for using a cast bullet ! cartridges like the 38 spl. and the 45acp are a perfect match for them as working pressures are low. That bullet you link to would probably work fine.

Tim

(York County)

I switched to cast bullets a little while ago. I had some issues with shaving the bullet and then they didn't want to let the pistol go into battery. After that growing pain though, I have been completly happy with the cast. I was talking to another reloader the other day that casts his own and got to thinking about trying that.

Interestingly enough (I havent verified this as of yet), this individual was telling me that if you lube your cast bullets with Alox, (instead of the lube that goes in the groove, similar to the bullets in your link) that your cast bullets will not smoke when you fire them.

the smoke hasn't been much of an issue for me yet but I do plan to do some indoor shooting and without ventilation this can be bad for you. (so I hear)
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Lebanon County)

about all i shoot in 45 is cast lead.
    in the 45 you can pretty much get them to levels matching jacketed rounds, without having issues with leading. my favorite load is around 810ft/s.
    it's about the perfect round to start loading lead with, low pressure, lower velocities. it just works well with the stuff.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

The only potential disadvantage is a slight increase in cleaning due to the lead. Fwiw, I have switched completely to lead cast bullets in 9mm and .45 acp. I cast for four different pistols and that is all they shoot now.

Almost all I ever shoot is cast. Just keep below 1000FPS and they will do fine if the lead is not real soft. Pure lead will give you fits but hard cast does fine. Alox will smoke as much as most lubes. The hard lubes, where you need a heater on your sizer work best. Stay away from the Moly lubes. They are a mess.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    Almost all I ever shoot is cast. Just keep below 1000FPS and they will do fine if the lead is not real soft. Pure lead will give you fits but hard cast does fine. Alox will smoke as much as most lubes. The hard lubes, where you need a heater on your sizer work best. Stay away from the Moly lubes. They are a mess.
    The gold standard for lube is still alox/beeswax 50/50. Yes, there is a little smoke, but there is also from any bullet and any lube. Sometime, look at just how much smoke you get from your favorite powder when you switch to a jacketed bullet.

Heck, if it wasn't fr the gunsmoke, what would be the fun? Huh?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Centre County)

Follow-up question: Are there any good loads for 200gr LRN? Most of the manuals I've found list 230gr LRN and 200gr LSWC, but not much for 200gr LRN.

I've seen lots of people say that LSWC don't feed properly in an XD so I'll probably avoid that. Now I just need to figure out if I want 200gr or 230gr bullets.

(Westmoreland County)

Follow-up question: Are there any good loads for 200gr LRN? Most of the manuals I've found list 230gr LRN and 200gr LSWC, but not much for 200gr LRN.

I've seen lots of people say that LSWC don't feed properly in an XD so I'll probably avoid that. Now I just need to figure out if I want 200gr or 230gr bullets.
    Just pick a middle of the road loading for the 200gr SWC and substitute the RN bullet. Seat it so that approx. 1/32 of the front drive band is above the case mouth and see if it will chamber freely if not seat it a hair deeper and try again. BTW W231 has always been my go to powder for cast in the 45 for target loads,Its hard to find a load that wouldnt shoot well with it.

Tim

(Susquehanna County)

You can use the same data for any 200 gr lead bullet. Truncated Cone, Round Nose Flat Point, Semi-WadCutter or Copper Plated like the Ranier bullets. So if you're using Win 231 you'll find something between 4.5 and 5.0 grains is a very good target load (HP-38 should be about the same also) and you can go higher in velocity if you want (see the Hodgden Powder Data). Accurate Arms #2 appears to produce good results for below 900 fps and AA#5 for over 900 FPS. Refer to Accurate Arms Co. Data. BTW do not expect to get the velocities Hodgdon reports out of your pistols, you won't get close because Ho reports the velocities from the pressure test barrels, not typical pistols.

Both Hodgden and Accurate have web-based reloading data available, I suggest you look them up yourself.

The last little piece of advice I'll give you (and all others that haven't) is to be sure to go to Missouri Bullets' website and hit thier "technical setion" and read what they have to say about "Hardness Optimized Bullets". See http://www.missouribullet.com/technical.php

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast