Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Pointers for Competition Newbie?

Background:

I've had my LTCF for about 8+ years now, and am completely happy w/ my current carry piece, holster, setup, etc.

I have only had basic safety and technique instruction over the years, but I am most certainly comfortable and confident with my level of handgun safety and responsibility.

I am about to participate for the first time in my local club's action pistol shooting program, but only for purposes of gaining confidence in the slightly more realistic use of my carry piece, an H&K P7M8 (please no debate on my handgun choice - I know it's not the "ideal" pistol for competition - But it IS what I just prefer to carry).

I'm not interested (currently) in actually "competing" with the other guys, really - Only with honing my skills w/ what I carry regularly ("run whatcha brung") is my mentality...

I have all the mags and ammo I will need, as well as eyes and ears of course, proper holster and mag pouches, but I am nonetheless a bit intimidated.

So, what tips can you more experienced guys give to someone who is a newbie to "gun games" in general?

I have already been in contact w/ the gentleman who runs my club's league, and have reviewed all safety documentation, requirements, etc., and will hopefully be doing my requisite safety check this weekend. He has been great in helping me feel more comfortable during this process, but any insight/advice from the fine members of the Forum would also be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bones

PS - It is not IDPA or IPSC, but seems to be a slightly more informal type of action shoot, based on my conversation with the director.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Pointers for Competition Newbie?

Just relax, have fun and make some new friends! Everyone started exactly the same way you are.It's like firing a gun for the first time, your not really concerned with hitting the target, just not dropping it when you pull the trigger! Just remember the safety stuff and the rest will come. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You will kick yourself for not doing this 8 yrs ago. I just got into IDPA last year and I am completely obsessed. Everyone I've been involved with in shooting sports has been awesome. They are all glad to see new shooters and really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. First time I was really nervous. I shot slow and deliberately trying to hit all zero's and to be safe. After you go to a couple shoots you won't even worry about it. You'll find you probably will beat someone even the first time out which is a pretty big boost of confidence. You'll also realize how much you have to learn about really shooting. Don't be intimidated, I guarantee everyone will be really helpful. By the way, my friend shoots a P7M13 at IDPA and does just fine. Really accurate little gun.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the replies, guys... Much appreciated.

I'm all ears if anyone else has any experiences they are willing to share about their first time out.

Yoder: Yeah, I have heard of the occasional guy shooting an M13 in IDPA - The extra 5 rds. over the M8 seems to keep it a bit more competitively matched up I guess? Thanks for the encouragement!

Basically I just wanted to avoid anyone replying saying "Why a P7M8?!" B/c my reply would be "It's what I carry and prefer."

So any way, thanks again guys...

Regards,

Bones

(Perry County)

Bones;
    Sounds like you are on the right track. Try to get good hits and avoid excessive speed. If there are top shooters there the speed will be intoxicating. OK for them but do not drink yet. concentrate on getting center hits at whatever speed you are comfortable at. This is hard for men, but you do not have to be as fast as the big kids, yet.

In IDPA the carry gun you use is, theoretically, the gun you should use. Now, some (he says glancing uncomfortably into the mirror) have been known to use pistols that were not regularly carried. Shame on Us, you are within the spirit of the sport. When you are ready to try to win, then your spirit can change, but for now, "good on ya".

Welcome to the sport, I am confident you will love it.

(Bucks County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...xperience.html

That's a link to a thread I started after my first shoot down at Classic Pistol in Southampton. It was a great experience and I recommend it for you to give it a try. Work schedule has prohibited me from making it back down but I will again I'm sure. I'm also going to do Wednesday night action shoots at my gun club so those will take precedence.

Classic Pistol's website has plenty of details on it. Good luck!

(Allegheny County)

relax, have fun, slow down, pay attention, watch others