Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Interaction with state policeman

I've been debating whether to post this or not because of what happened to my girlfriend. I talked it over with her, and she was fine with me posting the story.

Last Tuesday, we went to the King of Prussia Mall after picking up some paperwork she needed in Philly. On our way back to Allentown, I was basically falling asleep at the wheel, so I asked her to switch places with me. I pulled over to the side of the NE Extension of the turnpike, halfway between the Mid-County and Lansdale tolls. Somehow, as we both got out of the car at the same time, one of us must have hit the lock button, and we locked ourselves out of the car. Here's the kicker...her 21-month old was locked locked in the car, asleep! Unfortunately, this was the night that the weather was real crappy...practically freezing rain. We were locked out of the car without coats, freezing wet and getting very upset waiting for help that was taking too long. Here's where the story turns to carrying. The first to arrive was a state trooper. He asked to see my driver's license. When I removed it from my wallet, he also noticed my LTCF.

Trooper: You carrying now?
    Me: Yes, sir.
    Trooper: Where is it?
    Me: On my right hip, under my shirt.
    Trooper: Okay, let me see that license, too.

He didn't check the weapon, didn't try to disarm me. As a matter of fact, he never even mentioned it the rest of the time on the side of the road.

To finish the story, we got in eventually with the help of a tow truck driver...over an hour later! Unfortunately, what happened to my girlfriend really destroyed the night. She had a panic attack because of not being able to get to her daughter, which then caused her to have an asthma attack. She spent the evening in the Lansdale Hospital ER. We make light of it now, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

(Berks County)

Default Re: Interaction with state policeman

I'm glad everyone is ok in the end.

(Lackawanna County)

i'm glad the both of you are okay. how long did they have her on a nebulizer? and, the state trooper didn't have a slimjim set in his car? i find that odd.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i'm glad the both of you are okay. how long did they have her on a nebulizer? and, the state trooper didn't have a slimjim set in his car? i find that odd.
    I thought most LEOs stopped carrying the slim jim sets because of costs...I had to put quite a few lock rods back on after troopers popped them off while trying to get into a car. When the customer found out this isn't covered under warranty because the cop didn't know what he/she was doing.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

You mean the first words out of your mouth were not "Am I being detained"...sarcasm...

(Allegheny County)

I've been told that cops will only open cars in a life threatening situations (95 degrees, closed windows, child in car) and that is usually by breaking a window.

I managed to lock the keys of a car not my own in the car a little while ago. Fortunately, I knew that the owner of the store I was at had the right tools and he got the door open in about ten minutes.

For my car, I carry a key on the chain around my neck. I used to carry the spare key in my wallet but I used to camp a fair bit and I'd usually lock my wallet in the car.

Glad to hear that you didn't have to break a window.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Glad to hear that you didn't have to break a window.
    Trust me, she wanted to.
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I have heard rumors...only rumors...of police not being able to do lock outs because of modern cars having side airbags that can be deployed by the use of a slim jim. An officer apparently took a slim jim to the neck....Again only a rumor, but I can't discount it as being a semi true urban legend. I am thinking liability is a more reasonable answer. Even tow truck drivers are now using inflatable wedges etc...
    Jules

(Delaware County)

An hour later with a 2 year old in the car?

That window wouldve been smashed in 10 mins.

Your car sitting on the side of the road in a storm at night is just asking to be hit.

(Jefferson County)

Locking one's self out is why I keep a spare key in my wallet. No need for the rubber/plastic grip on it, just cut it off so it's slimmer, and put it in a fold.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast