Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Thumbs down University of Tennessee bans guns of athletes

UT guns policy differs for students vs. student-athletes

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 5:52 PM EST

When former UT star basketball player Tyler Smith pleaded guilty on weapons charges Friday, it was just the most recent case involving an athlete with guns. When former UT star basketball player Tyler Smith pleaded guilty on weapons charges Friday, it was just the most recent case involving an athlete with guns.

"Right now we can't afford to have an incident related to [guns]," UT Athletics Director Mike Hamilton said. "Right now we can't afford to have an incident related to [guns]," UT Athletics Director Mike Hamilton said.

By HARLOW SUMERFORD
    6 News Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- After a couple of troublesome events involving University of Tennessee athletes with guns, the athletics department has put in place a new policy.

Athletics Director Mike Hamilton says the school will not tolerate bad behavior.

"We have stood in front of all the head coaches and student-athletes and said, 'No guns,'" Hamilton said.

The new, zero tolerance policy says if a student-athlete is in possession of a weapon, he or she faces automatic dismissal.

The athletics department's policy is more strict than the university policy for all students, which simply says, "Possession of a weapon is not allowed on campus or at university sponsored events."

Students other than athletes still have the right to own a gun, athletes do not. Hamilton says it doesn't matter if the athlete has a gun carry permit or is a hunter.

"If you want to go hunt, go hunt with your dad when you go home for break or whatever, if it is that particular season," Hamilton said, "but right now we can't afford to have an incident related to that."

Former UT star basketball player Tyler Smith pleaded guilty on weapons charges Friday. His case is just the most recent of incidents involving football and basketball players with guns.

Two Tennessee football players pleaded guilty after their arrests in November for an attempted armed robbery with a pellet gun.

Hamilton points to the dismissal of the players from their teams as an indication of how serious the athletics department is taking the problem of guns.

He says athletes do not need to carry guns for protection. If they feel threatened, he points out, the UT police department should handle the matter.

Despite the headlines, Hamilton says the issue of guns is not a problem unique to athletics.

"I can only tell you what I have been told and what I have been told is that the percentage of student-athletes that end up in situations is not appreciably different from the student population," he said. "It is certainly more highly publicized, but how do we know that, because you don't keep numbers? I'm not saying that I know it, I'm saying what I have been told by those that have affiliation with that, law enforcement, student affairs those kinds of things."

Hamilton's sole responsibility is the athletics program. He says he's hoping the no tolerance policy will keep players on the court and out of the courtroom.

The zero tolerance gun policy is already being enforced, but it will not become part of the athletic department's written policy until July.

Hamilton's policy decision may not put an end to the matter of guns and athletes. 6 News legal analyst Greg Isaacs points out the new rules raise constitutional issues.

"You're not looking at the intent of the individual, but you're looking at their conduct," Isaacs says. "This policy does not differentiate between a car load of people with semi-automatic weapons that are drinking and smoking marijuana, versus athletes with legally permitted guns going to Loudon County to hunt deer as they've done their whole life."

Isaacs says the policy raises significant issues with the Second Amendment and that each situation should be looked at individually.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11988690

(Luzerne County)

Angry Re: University of Tennessee bans guns of athletes

Quote Originally Posted by snoman View Post
    Hamilton points to the dismissal of the players from their teams as an indication of how serious the athletics department is taking the problem of guns[/URL]
    Those damn GUNS forcing those sweet kids to commit crimes.I bet it's the cars fault for drunk driving too.
    People are such tools.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: University of Tennessee bans guns of athletes

Oh the evil guns!!! Guns just bring the scum bag out in everyone! Not that they were scumbags before they got guns.

Fucking Libtards!

(Allegheny County)

Could the real problem be that the athletic departments are recruiting scum for the big money sports? Do colleges have many problems with swimmers or gymnasts?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Could the real problem be that the athletic departments are recruiting scum for the big money sports? Do colleges have many problems with swimmers or gymnasts?
    Of course NOT. People aren't the problem!!!!! God forbid anyone takes responsibility for their actions. Oh, and maybe I should apologize for interjecting a spiritual reference .

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by nycems22 View Post
    Of course NOT. People aren't the problem!!!!! God forbid anyone takes responsibility for their actions. Oh, and maybe I should apologize for interjecting a spiritual reference .
    That is the problem (Bold) And I am not talking about the God reference. But I should report you for pushing the Lord on me!!!

(Delaware County)

This is not good. How would you like to be wearing that much gold on your body and now someone tell you can't be toting a gun? They should not have to put up with those kinds of injustices.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Hummmm! Whatever do you mean?

(Allegheny County)

A friendly reminder from the staff...

Keep the racist crap to yourselves.

"Cleverly hidden" racial comments are no different than just coming out and saying it.

Thank you.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

The "no guns" for athletes thing is absurd, insulting, and un-American.

It's so ridiculous, I don't even know where to begin.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast