Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Anyone OC with a duty belt?

My OC set up is basically a serpa holster and pistol only. Extra mag is usually in pocket. I was wondering does anyone use a duty belt set up? Pistol, flashlight, pepper spray and the likes. Also can non leo legally carry a set of handcuffs? Would this be walking a fine line of impersonating a leo? Thanks.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Anyone OC with a duty belt?

I use a leather belt specifically designed to support the weight of a firearm. I usually have my firearm strong side; phone, extra mag and flashlight on my weak side, and occasionally 1 oz. OC spray hanging from a front belt loop from a small caribiner. I also carry a folder in my strong side front pocket.

It's legal to carry handcuffs, but I personally don't, because I don't want to get that close to a BG, especially if I'm alone.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 28th, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Ive seen hundreds of people wearing a duty belt OC rig.....course, they were all police officers. You will look like a big toolbag walking around with a full duty rig on. And no it is not illegal to carry handcuffs, just been discussed as a bad idea. Duty belts are like 2 1/2 inches wide and dont look too comfortable to me.

The Serpa is a nice rig, buy a couple of Blackhawk mag carriers and put a folder knife in your pocket. Should be all you need, except a flashlight. Surefure makes a nice little light with a clip on it, stick it in your other pocket.

Do you know Mickey? LOL

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I use a leather belt specifically designed to support the weight of a firearm. I usually have my firearm strong side; phone, extra mag and flashlight on my weak side, and occasionally 1 oz. OC spray hanging from a front belt loop from a small caribiner.
    Ditto... but we are twins after all...

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Also can non leo legally carry a set of handcuffs? Would this be walking a fine line of impersonating a leo? Thanks.
    Only impersonating if you use it to convince someone you are LEO. Just like wearing a shirt that says "POLICE" Not illegal unless you use it to convey you are LEO.

While not illegal, handcuffs are useless to the non LEO. Your objective is to flee or fight if you can not retreat safely. Putting someone in cuffs is counter to remaining safe. Once you can escape the threat that is what you should do.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 28th, 2010 at 06:54 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Ditto... but we are twins after all...

Only impersonating if you use it to convince someone you are LEO. Just like wearing a shirt that says "POLICE" Not illegal unless you use it to convey you are LEO.

While not illegal, handcuffs are useless to the non LEO. Your objective is to flee or fight if you can not retreat safely. Putting someone in cuffs is counter to remaining safe. Once you can escape the threat that is what you should do.
    Wouldn't there be some question regarding what her physical appearance is and her over all demeanor to the idea of the utilization of physical restraining devices?
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 28th, 2010 at 06:54 PM.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Allegheny County)

"You will look like a big toolbag walking around with a full duty rig on"

second that...

I use a Wilderness Instrustor belt, with a double mag pouch on my weak side. I also have a "retention" knife on my weak side and a folder in my strong side front pocket.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I have a nice Gould & Goodrich duty holster for the Beretta which also fits the BHP perfectly. I have used it witha 2-1/2" belt and a G&G double mag pouch, but it becomes a lot of weight AND BULK. Too much for me, actually. For OC, I've now switched to lighter (Sigma) in a lighter (Fobus) on my standard belt, with a lighter (Fobus) mag-pouch. Or the S&W M39 in a high-ride Ross on the regular belt.

Now instead of the belt dragging down and falling off, I'm faced with the possibility of the belt dragging down my pants and hauling them off, too.

Besides, Suspenders appear far more "civilian" than a Sam Browne. You have to consider the fashion statement as a critical part of the carry.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by doc4020 View Post
    "You will look like a big toolbag walking around with a full duty rig on"

second that...

Could add a radio to the belt also

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    My OC set up is basically a serpa holster and pistol only. Extra mag is usually in pocket. I was wondering does anyone use a duty belt set up? Pistol, flashlight, pepper spray and the likes. Also can non leo legally carry a set of handcuffs? Would this be walking a fine line of impersonating a leo? Thanks.
    Don't forget your tac vest

I am not anti-OC, just anti-whacker OC. If you want to dress like a cop, become a cop.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast