Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face My Story: Concealed Weapons Permit in Virginia

I lived in PA for the first part of my life. I love firearms and our rights to own and use them. Unfortunately I was a little slow on getting my LTCF and had recently moved to Virginia.

Their forms are slightly different. I filled out their SP248 (url at bottom) vs our SP 4-127. I didn't need references or to tell them why I'm applying, however I needed to sign it in front of a clerk or notary. In Virginia new filers also have to show a formal certification of competence with firearms.
    Me being excited about getting my permit, went right over to my towns city hall where I asked where to submit the form. (I live in Falls Church, an independent city which is not in the FairFax county, but is on every other form you ever fill out...)
    They unfortunately pointed me to "any circuit court" and gave me the address to Alexandria's circuit court. After driving 20 minutes to pay $1 to park two blocks away from the courthouse and another quarter to rent a locker to stow your phone (no phones allowed in the whole building) I was promptly pointed back to FairFax circuit court and told that I "needed" to have a notary sign the document with me before I submitted it. (Despite on the bottom of the page saying Resident applications in person can use the County Clerk.) This service was an extra $2 at Alexandria. Thankfully when I made it to FairFax Circuit Court (the closest parking was their $2 an hour garage literally three quarters of a mile away) I was greeted by nice security personnel who loved the fact that I was coming in for my CWP. There were conflicting signs everywhere, however they were quick to point in the intended directions. Eventually I got upstairs where a clerk pointed out that my application would be rejected since I needed to write "None" for scars and tattoos rather than leave it blank. I had made it to the counter and handed over everything they required, dual copies of my certification, dual copies of all the forms I'm submitting, a self-addressed envelope prestamped for them, photo ID, etc. then the clerk double stamped, signed, had me sign, had her boss sign and I was on my merry way after a couple hours of driving (forgot my wallet the first time to Alexandria...) and some miscommunications, (They didn't take Discover for the CWP application fee, nor for the parking fee, I paid cash. In fact the parking garage had two credit-card only kiosks and STILL paid a guy to sit behind a window taking cash instead of getting kiosks that took cash to pay for your parking ticket) I left knowing within 30-45 days my envelope would come back with a nice little freedom card I'd need to get renewed five years from now.

Fun Facts:
    Virginia training tells you that signs carry the force of law and perpetrate you can lose your permit! (Despite the law saying they don't and it's just trespassing if you stay when they ask you to leave) ยง 18.2-308
    Virginia recognizes all states permits now in a legislative deal that places state police doing background checks at gun shows if private sellers decide to consult them. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.014
    Virginia non-resident CWPs are a pain, $100, fingerprints, notaries, just remember, we reciprocate now!
    If you don't have a CWP there are a lot of funny letters to and from judges describing the spirit of the law on what containers are acceptable to transport your firearms in. (It's incredibly gun friendly)
    You can bring your firearm to your place of worship given a "good and sufficient reason" (or pay a $100 fine).

Financials:
    PA $25 application fee
    free parking
    free storage (not required, just don't use your phone at the counter)
    About 10 minutes of driving
    1 page of printing

VA $20 certification (I got off easy, you could take almost any class or training you wanted though. Mine was an hour about the basics, I've been shooting the majority of my life and own firearms, looking forward to one day getting real defensive training.)
    $50 application fee
    $1 parking
    $0.25 cell phone locker
    $2 parking
    About 2 hours of driving
    About 12 pages of printing

Expanded Rights*? Priceless.

http://www.bedfordcountypa.org/uploa...y_Firearms.pdf
    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/...rmit-sp248.pdf

*Recognized Privileges?

Note from the Author:
    Thank you very much, I'd love to hear any stories you guys have about getting your concealed licenses. I just wanted to tell you all about my experience and that even though I'm in Virginia, this forum is informative and a great read! Remember just like your favorite religious text, read the laws for yourself! Anyone can poorly cite or misunderstand the law, even if you're right be respectful. It's better to educate our peers and fellow citizens from outside the courtroom than in temporary holding cells!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My Story: Concealed Weapons Permit in Virginia

I got a non-resident VA permit in 5 easy steps:

1). Requested packet online.
    2). Received packet in mail.
    3). Followed instructions in packet.
    4). Sent packet back in mail.
    5). Received permit in mail.

It was pretty easy (;

(Allegheny County)

You've never paid to park in Pittsburgh.
    It would cost more than the LTCF.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Pa LTCF has been $20 for at least 5 years.

Went to renew mine. Held the door for a guy in the elevator. Walked into the sheriffs office, held door behind me so same guy could follow me in. Filled out paperwork, took seat. Clerk calls "next". Guy jumps up and runs into camera room in front of me.

Yep, i called him a dick in front of everyone.

Permit process itself was easy, free parking next to courthouse, 20 bucks in and out in 15 though it should have been 10.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    20 bucks in and out in 15 though it should have been 10.
    George Michael?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    Went to renew mine. Held the door for a guy in the elevator. Walked into the sheriffs office, held door behind me so same guy could follow me in. Filled out paperwork, took seat. Clerk calls "next". Guy jumps up and runs into camera room in front of me.

Yep, i called him a dick in front of everyone.

Permit process itself was easy, free parking next to courthouse, 20 bucks in and out in 15 though it should have been 10.
    No way would it go down like that in Philly.....except maybe for the courtesy incident.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    George Michael?

You are REALLY hung up on this George Michael/"homo" thing.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You are REALLY hung up on this George Michael/"homo" thing.
    Not really. Just making fun of George Michael (;

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    No way would it go down like that in Philly.....except maybe for the courtesy incident.
    Never had a negative oc encounter around home either...i like not living in the city.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast