Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Anyone carry with a weapon-mounted light?

I have your standard, run-of-the-mill gen3 G19 with a Surefire X300 on it. I got a great deal on the SF so I couldn't say no, otherwise, it would prolly have a Streamlight. Anyway, moving on. For a while I would keep the light separate from the pistol and only mount it to function test now and then but not quite a year ago I purchased a used G26 as a little brother to the 19. With the weight advantage of the 26, it is changing into my primary CCW but I would still like to have the option of the 19 with the light mounted. FWIW, I also carry a Fenix in my back pocket so I wouldn't be without a light either way. My question is do you think having the SF mounted is added and unnecessary weight even if it is a not all the time kinda thing? I carry OWB and have found a hybrid holster for a G19 with a mounted light and figure I could always keep said holster, gun and light combo in my glove box as a go-to on the road if need be. What say you guys?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone carry with a weapon-mounted light?

I carry a Beretta PX4 compact 9mm with a TLR-3 in a Bravo Concealment BCA Kydex holster OWB all day without noticing the weight . I have several orginal Beltman belts with the added stiffener in them. I'm planning on getting another Bravo BCA for my M&P .40 that i just mounted another TLR-3 onto.

I say if you are comfortable carry the Glock with the light .....better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it .

JMHO...
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

My pistola has the Super Swat 5000 tac light on it and it doubles as great flash light when I'm sitting around a campfire song spooky liberal stories.

(Franklin County)

My personal opinion, I don't see a reason for a light on a concealed carry firearm. To each their own though. That said, I see great value for a light on a nightstand gun.
    IMO a light is used to search for and ID a target, I can't think of a self defense situation in a public venue that would require I search for the bad guy, or a time that I wouldn't know where the bad guy is.
    On the other hand, it is another tool in the toolbox, I just think there are more valuable tools to spend money on for a carry gun to have, like night sights, laser or different holsters or lots of practice ammo..

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    My personal opinion, I don't see a reason for a light on a concealed carry firearm. To each their own though. That said, I see great value for a light on a nightstand gun.
    IMO a light is used to search for and ID a target, I can't think of a self defense situation in a public venue that would require I search for the bad guy, or a time that I wouldn't know where the bad guy is.
    On the other hand, it is another tool in the toolbox, I just think there are more valuable tools to spend money on for a carry gun to have, like night sights, laser or different holsters or lots of practice ammo..
    I have carry firearms with lights , w/o lights , with lasers and with no add ons ....my feeling with the light is two fold , it's an advantge in low light SD situations but you also gain the added effect of the blinding / disorienting of the light in the perps face ...

Is all a personal preference but each situation or enviroment will influence the kit you choose to carry.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Delaware County)

I don't carry a mounted light. For me I don't see the practicality in it. I do however carry a flashlight whenever I leave the house. My flashlight can be used as a weapon in a pinch.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

I don't use a weapon mounted light, but I always have a flashlight on me.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I used to put night sights on my carry guns and pondered a flashlight mounted to a gun. I have the mounted flashlights, but don't carry them.

My reason is that in todays world, it's almost never dark. Streetlights everywhere. Illuminated signs everywhere. The glow from the city 30 miles away etc. Even most public buildings have emergency lighting. So I skip the light on a firearm and just carry one in my pocket.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Warren County)

Yes my pitchfork has a torch on it!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I don't use a weapon mounted light, but I always have a flashlight on me.
    ^^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^^^