Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default J&A Nine or other 9mm under $350?

Walking through the gun show today I saw a few tables selling these for about $170. Anyone ever try these out? My friend that went with me is looking for a 9mm and doesn't want to spend over $350, preferably less. He'd like it to be a compact the size of a Glock 19 (but doesn't want to spend that much). First time I ever saw these guns. They also had J&A .380 and I believe 25 acp, with each being a little smaller with the decrease in caliber. Didn't handle any but I'm going back tomorrow so I'll be sure to ask to see one up close.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: J&A Nine or other 9mm under $350?

These firearms do not have a good rep.
    Sometimes called the original 'Sat. Nite Specials'. They were originally built by Jennings.
    Not the best metals were used during manufacture.
    IMO I'd stay away from them.

(Chester County)

If I were looking for a 9mm under $350, I think I'd be getting the S&W sigma. It isnt a target pistol, but it's certainly serviceable. $50 rebate from S&W makes it a pretty good price. I see them all the time in local stores, but you could order on line too.

my $.02

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13283

(York County)

I bought a KelTec PF9 for $249 from Backwoods Outfitters yesterday at the York gun show. 7-round mag. Its alot smaller than the Glock 19 but if you're stuck on the price you may want to look at it. I already own a 19 and the PF9 will be a backup pistol and summer carry pistol. However, my wife already has eyes on the KelTec as HER gun

(Indiana County)

Hi-Point C-9, $149.00 Lifetime warantee, regardless of owner. Ugly. Heavy. Disassembly for cleaning? Not necessary; manufacturer doesn't recommend it - send it to them after 1,500-2,000 rounds, they'll do it for free.

It works.

(Adams County)

In my experience, you get what you pay for. If his limit is $350, then he should be ready to pay that for a decent piece. I would also tell him not to buy on impulse. Find something he's interested in and research it before buying. That being said, I've heard that KelTecs are a good deal for the money, but I've never fired one. I looked at them, but I didn't like the trigger pull.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Erie County)

(Luzerne County)

You can get a Bersa Thunder UC pro for around 350. I have one and am very impressed with the reliability and performance. Never experienced a failure with it.

(Bucks County)

I'll sell you a Sigma with (4) 16 rd mags for $350.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

(Lancaster County)

Please avoid that gun. Seriously.

I'm no gun snob, I can appreciate the value of an inexpensive weapon, but those are just death traps. Do you want to spend $170 on something that will last for 6 months -1 year (if you're lucky), or $300-$400 on something that will last a lifetime?

Someone else mentioned a Bersa Thunder UC9, that's an excellent choice. If you don't mind a crappy trigger or DA only try a Kel-Tec or a S&W sigma.

If you're open to different sizes, look for used Taurus PT92's or 99's. There are also a ton of older used Ruger and S&W DA/SA 9mm pistols floating around out there for around $300.

If he really wants to keep the price low, consider something in 9x18 makarov.
    You can order Polish p-64's online for about $150. Sure they're cheap, and you should replace some springs (costs about $20 and any idiot can do it), but they're extremely concealable and are 1000 times better made than that "Jiminez Arms" garbage.

You can also grab Bulgarian Makarovs for @$250, newer Polish Vanad's for about the same. Or, if you don't mind a little bit of ugly (and you mustn't if you were considering a JA) grab a CZ 82 for around $220 give or take a few$. They're exceptionally accurate, well built, and very reliable Czech guns.

Take a look at the pistols on www.jgsales.com and www.aimsurplus.com

Some people will take a giant crap all over my recommending a military surplus pistol, but when the alternative is a JA, there's no question.

9x18 isn't as powerful a caliber as 9mm, but it'll do the job, and you'll be able to practice for less money using cheap russian ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast