Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Saiga AK with custom vented gas tube

Well, I got the conversion done awhile ago, but now have been drooling over the Tromix 12 guages. I was searching high and low for a gas tube cover that had a handguard on it (i.e. Tromix) but could NOT find one anywhere for the 7.62. While cleaning my Mossberg 500 (that has the ATI vented hanguard on it)....and I thought damn! I bet with a little work I could get one to fit the Saiga!

Off to Cabelas I went today to pick up a donor. Brought it home and went to work with a pair of tin snips, a dremel and a body shop hammer. Cut it down to size (leaving the screw mounting holes of course) and bent over the edges by the gas tube block. It's solid as a rock, but I will spot weld it in the spring & repaint. The factory forward handguard slipped right back on. I also put vents in the factory forearm, but I'm not so pleased with how it turned out. I'll pick another one up off ebay or gunbroker since they're only around $10 and re-do it. I also put a new picatiny rail on & bought a CAA folding grip (one of thicest ones out there IMO).

But, $20 later I finally got my vented gas tube cover! I think it looks damn good & should be very functional!

I have on order (and should have next week) a genuine Hungarian AMD muzzle brake & will get the barrel threaded for it next week as well.

So all together including the rifle and conversion, I only put out less than $550 total....not too bad in my book, since I have much more in my 10/22!
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Saiga AK with custom vented gas tube

that looks pretty good!...nothing like adding your own little custom touches!

(Philadelphia County)

I like it! Nice work Q.

(Bucks County)

Im impressed!

I would get rid of that Bipod and put a sling mount type on there though. Not only are those heavy (I have one) but mounted like that it could be killing your accuracy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Im impressed!

I would get rid of that Bipod and put a sling mount type on there though. Not only are those heavy (I have one) but mounted like that it could be killing your accuracy.

Yep, I hear you! It did in fact kill accuarcy at the range compared to just a sandbag rest....I was amazed at that!! The bipod is on the rail though and is a quick detach.

Thanks for the compliments guys.....I was really happy how it turned out. Should look pretty mean with the AMD brake on there!

(Allegheny County)

i mounted an old SKS vented hand guard tube on my S12 and it;s worked out great. fit perfectly and worked with the original handguard [which i like].
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Allegheny County)

It's hard to tell from the pictures but from my experience the ATi heat shields rust like a MF. If it's the black park look kind make sure you paint it. I had severe problems keeping mine from rusting and finally just dumped it all together.

Hate to see that thing transfer a bunch of rust to your nice rifle. I think you did a nice job. I have the same folding grip. I liked that one as well... but... stripped all mine back down to stock furniture. I just like them better that way.

I like that grip folded better than I like it deployed, kinda as a drop grip. So I just took it off.

(Chester County)

I think aim surplus or someone like that sells ak gas tubes that look like that. But good work on the custom job, looks good.

BTW, I have ruined two stock handguards so far trying to customize them, which always ended in utter failure. I'm hoping the new one I get at some point will be safe from my dremel.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Philadelphia County)

LOL, I've got a Saiga handguard that's currently teetering on the edge.
    If I stop now it will probably look great after a little spit and polish. But if I fire up the Dremel one more time I'm sure I'll screw it up.
    But sometimes ya gotta just say what the f---