Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Help a New IDPA shooter in Wilkes Barre

Hi guys,

I plan to shoot IDPA in Wilkes Barre (WBRP) this coming Saturday, 08SEP07. I am a service rifle shooter and I would like to start another shooting discipline. I know absolutely nothing about IDPA, so any help would be appreciated.

A) How much is the fee to participate?

B) I plan to bring my XD-45 ACP. I understand this is an ESP class. How many rounds should I bring? 100?

C) I only have two magazines. Is this enough?

D) I plan to bring the usual shooting stuff I bring to service rifle, i.e. ear protection, and eye protection. I should probably bring clothing to conceal my pistol, huh? At least this is what I see on youtube.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should bring.

Thanks in advance.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Help a New IDPA shooter in Wilkes Barre

Hi,

I have shot a number of IDPA matches the Wilkes Barre Club and they put on a great match. Jerry and his folks are top notch, very friendly and encourage new shooters.

In terms of your questions, here are my thoughts:

--Your pistol will be considered ESP because of the type of action. It may also be considered CDP because of the caliber.
    --I would bring 200 rounds to the shoot. If you bring 100 you might have enough to finish the match but with 200 you will definitely have enough.
    --2 magazines are usually not enough for an IDPA shoot. There always seems to be one stage that requires 3 magazines. So if you can pick up another magazine great, if not take the 2 you have already
    --Cover garments are required in an IDPA match, but most clubs don’t enforce this with new shooters. The club would rather the shooter have a safe match. Some new shooters are not comfortable drawing from concealment.

The only other thing I would add is try to arrive a little early. When you register mention that you are a new shooter and they will have one of the experience SO staff give you a new shooter briefing.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks!
    Corey
    Glock Armorer
    IDPA
    USPSA

(Luzerne County)

Thanks for the reply, Corey. That was very helpful.

Hope to see you there.

(York County)

Talking Re: Help a New IDPA shooter in Wilkes Barre

Norwich -

Welcome to your newest addiction....

Couple of things to look over before you head out - every new shooter for IDPA should have a look at the best info on IDPA shooting for new folks -

http://nepaidpascores.net/misc/Welco...A_Shooting.pdf

The North East PA IDPA Scoring website (www.nepaidpascores.net) is the place to find IDPA matches in central and eastern Pennsylvania.

Your cover garment should be able to cover the holster with your arms extended in a "T" or "scarecrow" position. You can also cover up with nothing more than a T-shirt, but that really slows the draw down. A regular button shirt, vest or light jacket will work. Whatever you use, just make sure it's clear of the holster when you go to reholster.

As a SO, the hardest thing to get shooters (new or old) to do is slow down while holstering - most think it's some kind of race. Just be patient to the SO's commands to "unload and show clear - slide forward - hammer down - holster".

Enjoy it, and be safe - it's a blast!

(Lycoming County)

+1 on getting a third mag.

In addition to showing up a little early, be sure to identify yourself as a new shooter. IDPA folks are among the friendliest and most helpful in the shooting sports, love new folks and are enthusiastic about offering any advice, or pointers they can. All this really helps! Be sure you inform each RSO before toeing the line aswell. They will give you a little extra time and more thorough exlpanation of the course of fire. Not because they think youre stupid (LOL), but because they too once had first time butterflies.

You wont believe how much fun youre gonna have!
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon