Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Coach Gun Identity

Can anyone id the coach gun I purchased today at the gunshow ? I posted on the shotgun sight a problem/question I have too if you can help ! The shotgun has a 18 1/4" barrel, I can make out barely the word "triomphe" I think ? The problem I am having is I was told it was a 20 ga - but the shells slip right over the ejector and seat in the barrel - maybe a 16 ga ? maybe I bought wrong 20 ga shells ? Seller told me gun is just over 100 years old.
    Any help id'ing or figuring out my problen would be apprectiated
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Default Re: Coach Gun Identity

i dont know about it being over a 100 years old i think it would be damascus barrels, from the pic they dont look like they are. from the pic it looks almost like a fox/stevens but i could be wrong, but if it is my guess is sombody might have switched your barrels out because it was most likely a hunting gun.
    what kind of stock is on it ? from the picture it looks like it drops off, does it have a high comb on the stock?
    what kind of for grip is on it ? can it be removed try pulling down on the front of it. it should have some numbers or words stamped into the lug where it hinges to the receiver.......
    Last edited by partsman; February 28th, 2010 at 01:57 AM.

(York County)

if the shells wiggle around in the chamber, it ain't a 20. 20 was not common in the time that your gun was made, nor were what we regard as standard chamber lengths. most guns from that period are cut for 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" chambers.

shooting a standard star crimped shell in such chambers will result in an unfolding of the crimp into the forcing cone, increasing pressures unacceptably. B&PUSA offers reduced length and velocity shells that i use in such guns. i also handload brass cased black powder shells. i am a box lock guy, having only 4 or 5 back action shottys, so can't comment beyond that.

if you have a caliper, start measuring and see the page referenced:
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html

you will note that the difference between chamber base dimension is .744"-.698"= .046"

(Cumberland County)

Thanks guys. I went out and bought some 16 ga and they seat perfectly, so I am assuming at this point it is in fact a 16 ga.. A poster on the shotgun site thought the stock was upgraded and looked like a more expensive stock ? The thoughts from the other site is that it is Belgian, and not a domascus "twist" - not sure what that is, new to shotguns - lol. On top of the barrel it looks to say "triomphe" - more reason the guys say it is probably Belgian. They also suggested shooting only low pressure or black powder loaded shells, but no one seems to know where to get them ? Here is a couple more shots - any other info. would be greatly appreciated, and thanks ! The seller says it is 1896, but then again, he thought it was a 20 ga - lol

(Cumberland County)

The barrells and the stock seem to be worn about the same, but it looks to me like the wood on the barrel is different color than the stock ??? After I purchased it at the gunshow for $ 200 cash, it got a lot of looks, and another dealer saw it and offered me $ 350 so really not sure. It has some writing down the top of the barrels between the barrels, but I can't make it out - might be a long "signature" or name or something, can't see any other markings other than some faded rings around the ends of the barrels where you load ? A couple more shots :

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Thanks guys. I went out and bought some 16 ga and they seat perfectly, so I am assuming at this point it is in fact a 16 ga.. A poster on the shotgun site thought the stock was upgraded and looked like a more expensive stock ? The thoughts from the other site is that it is Belgian, and not a domascus "twist" - not sure what that is, new to shotguns - lol. On top of the barrel it looks to say "triomphe" - more reason the guys say it is probably Belgian. They also suggested shooting only low pressure or black powder loaded shells, but no one seems to know where to get them ? Here is a couple more shots - any other info. would be greatly appreciated, and thanks ! The seller says it is 1896, but then again, he thought it was a 20 ga - lol
    I am going to agree with the low pressure or black powder rounds. Older guns can not take the pressures of modern ammo. The gun may go boom if fed the wrong ammo.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

stevens 235 "rabit ears" maybe?
    Last edited by ar33c9; February 1st, 2011 at 02:51 PM.