Novice to shotguns here but had a question, will try to use right terms - lol. I bouth a 20 ga 18 14" double barrel triggered shotgun today at gunshow. Seller says it is from 1896 andit looked novel and I was looking for a triggered shotgun. I had no idea what shells to buy so I just got some winchester
2 3/4 8 shot. When I tried to put a couple shells in, the slipped right over the little double helf circle "ejector piece" i am guessing it is called, and seated right into the barrel, then you couldn' close the barrels down. If I carefully placed the shells on the ridge of the ejector, I coud get the barrel to close but obviously not right. When the sells are in the gun, there is play all around the shell. My question and I know it will be hard w/o seeing the gun, but could it just be wear on the ejectore, or could the gun be a 16 ga or something ? ( definitly not a 12 ga, and not sure if 16 ga was around 100 years ago ). Just a little baffled. The gun has no markings of guage, dealer says it is european, it has a hunting dog in brush on both sides on plates behind the triggers, a bird on each side, and in front of the bird what looks be a "sliced pie" like figure. Any thoughts ?