Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Cool Procedure for purchasing Handgun in Pa

Greetings all, Steve686 here. I'm sorry I didn't get back to answer the Posts that were sent to me, but I was in the hospital from having Back Surgery and I couldn't get to my PC, BUT anyway, here is my question? Do you need to have a permit to purchase a handgun from say your local "Gun Shop"? I just recently moved here from NJ and I'm ready to make my 1st Handgun purchase here in Pa. I know that in NJ you needed to get a purchase permit. Is the same procedure necesary here in Pa.? Or how/what should I do to purchase? Any help would be helpful, as NJ has completely screwed up my mind regarding my rights to bear arms!!!!
    Steve686

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Procedure for purchasing Handgun in Pa

1. Go to gunstore; bring PA DL.
    2. Store employee will give you paperwork to fill out; do so.
    3. Store employee does the rest.
    4. Pay $$ and walk out with gun.

takes about 20-30min or so including filling out the forms from saying i'll take it, to him saying thanks come again.. take your drivers license, and credit card.. theres no waiting period either

(Venango County)

Except now you gotta wait till Wednesday or so, cause they shut the system down for upgrades, but after that, it's simple....now carrying it loaded is a different story, you need a permit to carry it loaded in the car, or philly, and of course there's the usual off limits places.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Lehigh County)

Welcome to America, Steve 686.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Centre County)

Is the process the same for active duty military stationed in PA who do not have a PA driver's license?

//UPDATE BELOW//

Xring's response below is spot on, although I have had a dealer argue with me and tell me I was wrong. That was frustrating so here is the closest I can find to a 'reference' that supports short of bringing in a copy of PA's illusive laws.

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/lib/p...s/2004_Dec.pdf -- See page 3 on Military Sales

If the individual is acquiring a firearm in the State where their permanent duty station is located but the residence is not at that location, under section B of the ATF 4473 form, question 18a entitled “Type of Identification”, the Transfer or (Seller) should list the buyer’s military identification card and official orders showing where the permanent duty station is located if the buyer has a driver’s license from another State.When Pennsylvania Firearm Dealers are selling hand-guns to military personnel, remember that at least one of the following circumstances must apply:
    ·The individual is a resident of Pennsylvania.
    ·The individual is currently stationed in Pennsylvania and has confirmed this by providing a copy of military orders establishing proof of where the individual is stationed.
    ·The individual is originally from Pennsylvania,retains residency in this state, and is currently active in the military.

Under all of the these circumstances the individual must provide one or more types of government issued documentation which together will establish all of the required information such as: photograph of the holder,name, residence address and permanent duty station location if applicable, date of birth, and signature.
    Last edited by RCN; November 18th, 2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: New Information

(Centre County)

RCN,
    Yes it is, as an active duty military member, where you are stationed is considered your state of residency. The dealer will have to do things a bit different though, they will have to speak directly to one of the operators to give them your info. Other than that no difference; pick your gun, fill out the forms, complete the background check, if good, pay for your purchase, walk out the door, have fun. If check comes back denied the dealer will give you a form to fill out and send in. It is possible that someone out there with the same name has done something that would preclude the purchase of a gun. The form is to clarify who you are etc., and the PSP will do the checks to make certain. If reversed they will let you know. If not, I believe they will tell you what made it that you can't purchase.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve686 View Post
    Greetings all, Steve686 here. I'm sorry I didn't get back to answer the Posts that were sent to me, but I was in the hospital from having Back Surgery and I couldn't get to my PC, BUT anyway, here is my question? Do you need to have a permit to purchase a handgun from say your local "Gun Shop"? I just recently moved here from NJ and I'm ready to make my 1st Handgun purchase here in Pa. I know that in NJ you needed to get a purchase permit. Is the same procedure necesary here in Pa.? Or how/what should I do to purchase? Any help would be helpful, as NJ has completely screwed up my mind regarding my rights to bear arms!!!!
    Steve686
    Forget what you've learned about purchasing guns in the nazi regime of NJ. Pa is much more friendly to its residents in that regard.

You walk in fill out the knucklehead paper work, they call it in to the state police, when approved (about 15 minutes later) you drop the green and walk out the door with your new toy. Its a simple as that.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    You walk in fill out the knucklehead paper work, they call it in to the state police, when approved (about 15 minutes later) you drop the green and walk out the door with your new toy. Its a simple as that.
    The one thing on the paperwork that trips me up is where they ask for address (plus zip code) and phone number of employer. I don't always remember my job's exact address and zip code off the top of my head. Best to write all that down before you hit the shop.

Can you purchase any firearm in PA if you are: a non-resident of PA, but are from one of the states where PA has reciprocity for concealed carry permits?

I am a resident of Colorado, where PA has reciprocity. Furthermore, I am a AF reserve member, with a current military ID, but I am not on active duty.

I spend about half the month in PA for business, but I do not want to give up my Colorado residency in order to purchase a firearm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast