Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default 160 gr. 38 bullets in 9mm?

Can 160gr. 38 bullets be loaded in 9mm cases? Will pressure go up? Can the bullet be seated deep enough such that same loaded ammo has same OAL as 147 gr.?

(Perry County)

Default Re: 160 gr. 38 bullets in 9mm?

This is an interesting question, one I don't know the answer to. Which 160gr are you asking about? I see Speer made a 1/2 jacked SWC, and many 158 gr bullets would be 160 if more lead were in the alloy mix. I for one would be interested in your results. Were I trying this I'd first cycle some dummy rounds through my piece, checking to see how long they can be and still function through the magazine & gun. Then start with very light loads and see if you can get the slide to cycle and not have pressure signs.

This is just a guess, but I think a 158gr lrn might just work, not sure why you would want to do this but an interesting question.

(Perry County)

This did get my interest so I ran a few tests. I had 158 gr LRNs and sure enough they actually weighed 159.8 grs so close enough to 160 for Gov't work.
    So far I have only tested to see how long these bullets could be seated and still chamber in my CZ75. The mag was not an issue as the OAL was much shorter than the 1.169.

I found I could not load rounds of 1.130, as they would not chamber, the bullets were being jammed into the grooves (could be throat, as i couldn't definitely see grooves on the lead). I was able to pull the brass out with the extractor and then push the bullet out with a rod. So 1.130 was too long. 1.125 would seat, but when ejecting the round one could feel the pull of the bullet being tight in the bore, this is also too long as a tight bullet would cause excessive pressure. 1.115' seemed to function fine, the rounds fed through the mag cycled well through the gun with no perceptible pull on extraction.

So it appears the my CZ75 can take 160 gr LRN bullets loaded to 1.115". Now this is somewhat shorter than the 1.169 Lyman lists as Max overall length. The very round, as opposed to pointed, nose is the culprit. It might be possible to find another bullet that would feed better, however, it might be a trade off with case capacity loss??

I haven't tried to actually charge these cases and fire in my gun, and not sure I will. However, if necessary I believe that nominal 158 gr LRN would function, although the powder charge would have to be very small and the loss of velocity might be a bad trade off.

I suspect my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll try a few to see how they shoot??? I have 150 gr LRN with a perceptibly "pointer" ogive, these would probably be better heavy weight 9mm bullets, may have to try these to??

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    ...not sure why you would want to do this but an interesting question.
    Thinking about loading these to shoot out of a suppresses Uzi (10" barrel) and want to get max. energy while staying subsonic.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Can 160gr. 38 bullets be loaded in 9mm cases? Will pressure go up? Can the bullet be seated deep enough such that same loaded ammo has same OAL as 147 gr.?
    38 special bullets are .357 - .358" in diameter, whereas 9mm bullets are .355" in diameter. At the very least, you're assured to raise pressure without even taking into account the weight of the bullet.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Blair County)

I have loaded DEWC, 158 gr with no problems when shot out of a Ruger Semi handgun. Not very acurate but fed and functioned fine. Same load as used for 124 Gr. 9mm bullets.
    Steve

(Perry County)

MMH;
    Ok, now it makes sense. I also have 150 gr LRN that are what I currently use for IDPA matches in my K frames. Ill try them as they have a narrower nose and should be able to be loaded longer, thus leaving more room in the case for powder and all that hot gas.

I don't believe lead .357" bullets will be much of a pressure problem as lead is both slippery and compressible compared to gilding metal. Of course there is no data I know of so if anyone is going to try this my advise has to be do not do it there is DANGER.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    38 special bullets are .357 - .358" in diameter, whereas 9mm bullets are .355" in diameter. At the very least, you're assured to raise pressure without even taking into account the weight of the bullet.
    The problem is pressure. The bullet will be seated deeper into the casing and that will be the start of possible pressure problems. As max384 said, the bullet diameter is larger and will add addition pressure. My advice would be to resize lead to proper size, which for 9mm lead is .356.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff