Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best budget multi-use optic for 20 inch AR?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a good all around optic for a flat top 20 inch AR. I'm thinking something with variable power 1-?x since I want to compete with it. I know both eyes open run and gun is best at about 1x, but i want to be able to shoot accurately out to maybe 100-250 yards. The kicker is, 2 conditions... I'm on a budget (so no trijicon whatnots for me) and i can only have one optic for competition (can't change mid match, and cant slap a tiny red dot next to a scope).

your advice is needed!

thanks,
    Steviesterno

(Monroe County)

Default Re: best budget multi-use optic for 20 inch AR?

I searched for the same thing for an AK I wanted to scope. Their are very few options that will not run you hundreds of dollars and many other reasonable ones that are 1.5x magnification and up. I have tried the 1.5 and up but nothings as quick as 1X.

The only scope I could find meeting these requirements was the Bushnell Banner series 1-4x20.
    http://www.blazingbasinsupply.com/pr...copes-BS711432

It says it's a shotgun scope but has held upto the recoil of my AK nicely. you may want to look around the web for a better price and to see the reticle. I got mine for 70 dollars shipped and rings with it so their are better deals out their. The reticle is your classic + but where the crosshairs meet is a circle with a finer + in it.
    I actually like this. I find that on 1X magnification that circle is perfect for quick shots at the 25 or 50 yard line but if I want more reach I can turn up the magnification and focus in the middle of the circle and have a perfect set of crosshairs for more precise shot placement (I say "more precise" because it is an AK after all).
    Hope this helps

(Monroe County)

Check out the Vortex Strikefire. It is very Aimpoint-esque, a 1X red dot scope and is of very good construction and under $150. The nice thing about the Vortex though is it comes with a screw on 2X doubler in the box. If you are doing someone and want some magnification, screw on the doubler. Want a 1x dot scope, leave it off. I have to admit, I put mine on an SBR and haven't shot past 100 yards, so I haven't even tried the doubler, but others have said it works fine.

AJ

(Lawrence County)

I used a Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5x5 for years in 3 gun comp. It worked very well.

Another option is to get any cheaper variable with a lit retical. You can light the retical and shoot with both eyes open just like a red dot up close.

Above 100 yards a decent variable will mop the floor with a red dot when on the clock (if you're used to using a scope). Under 100 yards is where the 1x red dots shine.

LycanAR'sdon'tbreakscopesoftenthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Have open sights on my AR . . . . scope is on the .308

I have a mount with a Centerpoint 4-16x44 from wal-mart on it, less than $100 for scope and mounts.... it works better than the one below

QR NcStar 3-9xsomething that came with the gun when I bought it.... never used it
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Chester County)

Something has me wanting to try an illuminated 1-4x scope like this: http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-T...ope-P9251.aspx

Nikon just came out w/ an AR line The .223 and they have one that is 1X4 that looks good but is not illuminated. Check out the new mini infomercial.

(Berks County)

Not knowing what $$$ range your budget is, I still remember Dad telling me, "....when it comes to tools, buy once, cry once, so save up".

One of the very best true tacticals in design, ergonomics, and function has been the Burris XTR 1-4. After looking at a lot of scopes in my reasoning it surpassed both the Leupold CQ/T, and MK 4 1.5-5.

@ 1.5x with both eyes open I was maxed out and liked the 1x to 1.5x range better on the Burris. It looked like it was stronger construction in 30mm, target was definately sharper, and had a better functioning reticle. Surprised that it was $599 last year and was illuminated.

Wife & I have a deal, I don't complain about what she spends for the kitchen, and wine, and she won't about my guns and beer. A keeper she is.

(Beaver County)

Primary Arms offer a lower cost ($120) 1-4 similar to the Burris. http://www.primaryarms.com/product.s...5&categoryId=2 It gets good reviews over at ar15.com. It might fit your needs.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 919 View Post
    Primary Arms offer a lower cost ($120) 1-4 similar to the Burris. http://www.primaryarms.com/product.s...5&categoryId=2 It gets good reviews over at ar15.com. It might fit your needs.
    I've got one of those on an SBR AR10. It's held up to the recoil so far, and when compared to a friend's Millet DMS, it appears to be the same scope with a different reticle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast