Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millett scopes

(Westmoreland County)

Default Millett scopes

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them.
    Thinking about getting one.Tactical Rifle Scope or the Buck Gold

I would be using it on a AR rifle

Default Re: Millett scopes

i've got an lrs i think it is on my ar-50, it's a decent scope for the money

http://www.snipercentral.com/bushtact.htm I've got one of those on an accuracy AR setup i've got and i'm very happy with it and you can't beat the price

(Northampton County)

I have the first generation LRS on one of my rifles. My only complaint is that it doesn't have come-up marks on the turrets. The 2nd gen does, though.

I have a TRS on one of my rifles as well. Both scopes have functioned well, maintain zero and have decent glass. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong.

I mean, yeah - I'd love to have a Nightforce or Leupold, but you can build a pretty sweet scoped rifle with a bi-pod, sling, hard case, and a few hundred rounds of match ammo for the price of one scope Nightforce or Leupold scope.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    I have the first generation LRS on one of my rifles. My only complaint is that it doesn't have come-up marks on the turrets. The 2nd gen does, though.

I have a TRS on one of my rifles as well. Both scopes have functioned well, maintain zero and have decent glass. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong.

I mean, yeah - I'd love to have a Nightforce or Leupold, but you can build a pretty sweet scoped rifle with a bi-pod, sling, hard case, and a few hundred rounds of match ammo for the price of one scope Nightforce or Leupold scope.
    I think that you are mistaken here Skullz. I have a first generation Millett LRS that I ordered preproduction, I know for a fact that I got in on the first or second shipment, and mine DOES have the come up marks. Mine did NOT come from Bushnell, I purchased this scope LONG before Millett was bought out by Bushnell (over a year before). I believe that what you purchased was a Buck Gold scope that has similar specs. They have a 56mm objective and everything, but they do not have the verticle has the verticle come ups on the turrets, and they have a 30mm tube. The original LRS scopes have and still do have 35mm main body tubes. This is a picture of the first generation that were actually marked Millett LRS, and they still also said Buck Gold on the box. The others were merely a Buckgold with similar specs. As you can see from pictures in that thread, there ARE come-up hash marks. http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/217...t-lrs-1-a.html .

There were Buckgold scopes that were NOT LRS-1's, but they still did come in 6-25x, and had a 56mm objective, but a 30mm main body tube. They did NOT have the turret locks on the windage and elevation, and they did NOT have the has marks on the windage and elevation. They usually dialed in 1/8 moa, instead of the 1/4 MOA that the LRS uses. The Buck gold uses mil-dot reticle, while the LRS uses a Generation II mil-dot, half mil hash reticle. This exact topic has been discussed and recognized over a year and a half ago in this thread. http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/232...se-page-3.html. I understand that because they physically have similar appearances how someone might say they have a "Generation I LRS", but that is not the case. It is probably the case that they used this scopes design and re-engineered parts of it, changed internals, reticles, added some bells & whistles ect, to get the LRS; it's still not an LRS. You will notice that even today, they still sell both of these scopes, and they are different; one is not an LRS generation I, etc.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/millett-...s-25-x-56.html <<Buckgold
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/millett-...long-rang.html << Generation II LRS w/ illuminated reticle.

I ordered a pre-production LRS 8 months before it was ever produced, so I KNOW that I have a Generation I LRS. There is only 1 other generation of LRS scopes, and those have come from Bushnell since they bought out Millett. There are options like illuminated reticles, and .1 mil adjusting turrets. There have only been 2 generations of LRS, one from Millett and one from Bushnell. I could be wrong, if it's a 35mm tube with turret locks, Gen II mil-dot reticle, but no windage ticks, then you may have a prototype; it would be new to me anyway.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; February 27th, 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Ok Rudy, sorry that I got so far off topic with the LRS, which you probably aren't interested in. From what I've heard, the TRS scopes are nice, and decent for the money, but not necessarily the best. Early in their production (when they were NOT owned by Bushnell) there were a few quality control issues. A few were dropping dead and just chasing zero, and I heard a few problems about using a 2 piece scope body. Millett changed to using one piece scope bodies, and they replaced with brand new scopes, the ones that went to chasing zero. This seemed like an isolated problem that was more like "growing pains" with a new product, I haven't heard much about this anymore and don't think it's a problem. If you'll look around at some of the threads that I already linked, there is talk about the TRS and what people think about it. Mel did a review on Snipercentral over the TRS as well, it's how I became familiar with Millett in the first place. You can check that out here >> http://www.snipercentral.com/milletttrs.htm .

Overall they seem to be decent scopes for the money, although I haven't looked through one yet. In the same price range there are quite a few other options though that are comparable. Part of it just depends on what features and look you want to the scope. Hope that helps.

(Bucks County)

I bought and installed a Millett DMS on an AR:

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/

...but I haven't shot it yet, so I can't say comment. But, re: TRS vs DMS, my thought was that 4x magnification was about all I could realistically use on a 16" AR carbine. The 4x - 16X of the TRS seemed like a lot of magnification for a round which will be petering out by 150 yds.

When I asked around on the forums, as the OP is doing now, I got a lot of "excellent buy for the money" comments which I why I went with that brand. I was looking for a scope whose price/quality was in rapport with the mid-tier AR I was mounting it on.

Either way, you'll probably need scope mounts which extend forward of the end of the rail.
    Last edited by dgg9; February 27th, 2010 at 03:40 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the information so far.

I see natchez has this one on sale but it looks like it is the older model

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...odID=MIBK30737

And midway has this one on sale

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=740823

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post

...but I haven't shot it yet, so I can't say comment. But, re: TRS vs DMS, my thought was that 4x magnification was about all I could realistically use on a 16" AR carbine. The 4x - 16X of the TRS seemed like a lot of magnification for a round which will be petering out by 150 yds.

When I asked around on the forums, as the OP is doing now, I got a lot of "excellent buy for the money" which I why I went with that brand. I was looking for a scope whose price/quality was in rapport with the mid-tier AR I was mounting it on.
    I was thinking about that one also. Just to many choices out there. But thats a good thing also

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post

When I asked around on the forums, as the OP is doing now, I got a lot of "excellent buy for the money" comments which I why I went with that brand. I was looking for a scope whose price/quality was in rapport with the mid-tier AR I was mounting it on.

Either way, you'll probably need scope mounts which extend forward of the end of the rail.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a round that is petering out at 150 yards. The .223 is EASILY a 300 yard round, and will effectively kill large game and human beings at that distance. That does not mean that you or some people can shoot that distance, but it doesn't mean the round is "petering out". Why would the military train to shoot longer distances reliably with .223 if it wasn't effective to that range? Maybe you need to see what a good shooter can do with the .223. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9NkQldeu0 . This isn't the norm, and I'm not saying that it's really a long range caliber, but saying it's "petering out" or "done" at 150 yards is a BIG understatement.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a round that is petering out at 150 yards. The .223 is EASILY a 300 yard round, and will effectively kill large game and human beings at that distance.
    I disagree with the latter statement. It can kill at that distance, but certainly not effectively nor reliably. For a 16" barrel, you lose the crucial fragmentation effect much beyond 100 - 120 yds (depending on ammo). You can certainly get hits at 300 yds, but the terminal ballistics are not impressive.

"Petering out" means exactly that -- the primary mode of incapacitation identified with this round has run out by 150 yds. From that distance forward, you're relying on second tier effects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast