Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Poor college students first 1911. Need Help cleaning it up!

I stopped in Eagle arms today on my way home for spring break from college in Philly and saw this Llam 1911 in 9mm for $200. I asked if they would take a trade plus cash for my Cobra .380 that was my carry when weapon when at school. Much to my surprise they gave me $100 for my Cobra and I spent $111 on my 1911 OTD.

I'm extremely happy with the gun and understand that it is a old beat up imported 1911 clone. But it is a step up from a Cobra and it also takes cheaper ammo. So before I get flamed by the snobs I just want to put that out there.

So Im on here looking for some help on cleaning her up. She has very minimal tarnishing on the upper slide and the barrel where it has been exposed is very gently miscolored. Does anyone have any tips for bringing her back to tip top shape? I was thinking some emory cloth and a good oiling. But is that ok for the outside of the barrel?

1911 n00B here guys : )

My little Italian delite with her at the range today.

What do you think? Worth $111?

If it makes a difference she is stamped with:

Llama CAL 9mmParabellum
    Gabilondo Y CIA Vitoria ESPANA
    Imported by Stoeger
    Last edited by Zet70; February 27th, 2010 at 07:13 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Poor college students first 1911. Need Help cleaning it up!

Well depending on what kind of tarnish is on the gun this is what I do when I have gunk on the guns.

Use regular bore cleaner w/ patches and clean the gun like you would a normal gun. Dry it with dry patches and then oil it and lil extra where it looks like it needs it. After the oil is well dried take one of those yellow hoppes clothes and try and buff out any excess shit.

You could get it reblued but that will cost more than its worth. I think you realize that its a beater gun so to speak and you have to make the best of it but what I suggest is taking any money you were going to spend on cosmetics and put it into new parts that it might need and target ammo. People ask me all the time should I buy a 200 dollar laser for my glock and tell them NO buy a case of ammo and learn to shoot it better, practice, practice,practice, practice, practice. .380 is a lot different than the 9 mike mike round IMO. So get the gun to look the best by conventional means and get it running the best you can until you can trade up again.e

(Centre County)

I agree with Micky here. I know that your all excited and all as with anyone with new toy, but fact remains that it's $200 gun.
    I'd perform basic clean up, make sure nothing is out of whack, and then shoot it. And if gun turned out to be a keeper, then may be you can think about refinishing.
    Or try to blue it on your own.

Congrats on new gun tho
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Nice buy for $200. In your shoes, all I would do is to clean it. Emery cloth? Not even on a beater! Think sand paper! I would detail strip it, use mineral spirits and soak it. Then I would clean an oil every part in there.

If you really can't stand the barrel, I would gently try some 0000 steel wool using oil as a lubricant. I bet that the grips would clean up nicely with Birchwood Casey wood refinisher, once they get stripped.

The next thing would be to take some 230 g FMJ to the range and see how it shoots. I would bet that it shoots the fmj just fine. I no very little about Llamas but I doubt that they are at the top of the food chain.
    Last edited by Grumpa72; February 27th, 2010 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    So I'm on here looking for some help on cleaning her up. She has very minimal tarnishing on the upper slide and the barrel where it has been exposed is very gently miscolored. Does anyone have any tips for bringing her back to tip top shape? I was thinking some emory cloth and a good oiling. But is that ok for the outside of the barrel?
    I think it's a nice find

What I would do. I'd replace the springs in it with new ones numerich should have them.

I'd break it down to the frame and just clean it up with some CLP. I use lint free rags for cleaning that they sell in the auto section of wal-mart. I'd use some rust remover if I found any and just use a green scrubber pad like for dishes.

I wouldn't refinish it at all, it adds character
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Westmoreland County)

Two words for you...Weapon Shield! I've personally used it to remove light rust and tarnish from mags, bolts and barrels (not mine, but demos at shows) and the shit works good!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Lycoming County)

I think you made a good buy if it's functional, which it probably is.
    1911's in 9mm are a hoot to shoot.
    I agree, a full detail strip is in order. Clean it up with non chlorine brake cleaner, paying careful attention to that external extractor and the firing pin areas. You can polish up all the parts with a green scrubbie pad, don't touch the hammer/sear interface though. Then give it a good shot of CLP and let it soak a while, wipe it dry and lightly oil all the pins and put it together. Winchester White Box 115fmj is the best place to start for ammo. Shoot away!
    A great resource for your new pistol is the m1911.org site.
    Best of luck!
    Last edited by dewalt-2; February 27th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
    My Best, Walt

I've had good luck with CLP and 0000 steel wool. Keep in mind that while this "looks" like a 1911, it is not a "clone" - thatis, parts will not, in most cases, interchange. That being said, for what you paid, it was a heck of a deal. Shoot it, enjoy it and tell anyone that asks: The appearence just adds character. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    Nice buy for $200. In your shoes, all I would do is to clean it. Emery cloth? Not even on a beater! Think sand paper! I would detail strip it, use mineral spirits and soak it. Then I would clean an oil every part in there.

If you really can't stand the barrel, I would gently try some 0000 steel wool using oil as a lubricant. I bet that the grips would clean up nicely with Birchwood Casey wood refinisher, once they get stripped.

The next thing would be to take some 230 g FMJ to the range and see how it shoots. I would bet that it shoots the fmj just fine. I no very little about Llamas but I doubt that they are at the top of the food chain.
    I've never seen any 9mm 230grain bullets

(York County)

just keep in mind that this is not exactly a 1911 clone. Very few mil-spec 1911 parts will work in the old llama pistols. so if anything breaks you will have a hard time finding anything to replace that part.

I also recommend the weapon shield. that stuff is great!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast