Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default How do you sell a Pistol at a gun show?

Besides the obvious like transfers and such I was wondering how do you let people know you have a pistol for sale? With a rifle you could just put a dowel rod down the barrel with a little flag. I was thinking about bringing a backpack and just pin a piece of paper to it saying what i have for sale. Any advice would help I plan on going to gun shows the next three weekends so I think i might have luck selling my pistol thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: How do you sell a Pistol at a gun show?

You would probably be better off posting an ad in the free classifieds on this forum. IMO.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lebanon County)

I have sold several at shows. Some of the more interactive friendly dealers or fellow gun showers will ask whats in the box. I always had better luck at the smaller tables. Just say hi when you walk up and that usually gets the ball rolling, too often I see people just look at the goods and move on right after without even looking at the person behind the table.
    IMO though these classifieds are often easier than a show sale and will probably get you some extra money. If you are looking for a trade you can check with all the dealers and see who will give you a good deal.

Damn now that I am thinking about all of this...I want to go to a show. The sad part is funds are low and I don't want to part with any I currently have (is that good or bad??)
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(York County)

dealers will rarely pay more than 60% of the actual current value. you are better off carrying it in a knapsack with a sign on the back and selling it to a private party. once you have an offer it will not be hard to find a dealer willing to do the transfer paperwork for $20. if you get offers from dealers higher than that, try another table. eric staub at stubby gear has done many transactions for walkers.

(Delaware County)

Thanks guys for your replies I had a few people ask to see it but no luck with the sale. The dealers were pretty rude some were nice but a couple I just wanted to say F*** Off The one Dealer I asked and he said you aint getting no where near what it is worth so i said fine how about a trade and he was acting like I was bothering him he was just blowing me off oh well his loss I guess.

(Monroe County)

Gun dealers are like the general population at large. Some are interested others are not, soem are nice while others are assholes. Hope you get it sold.

(Monroe County)

I've learned one thing in all my horsetrading when it comes to guns. When you make the decision to go into the business, whether full or part time, you end up doing it to make a profit and not just to enjoy the shooting sports any longer. With guns in general there isn't much money to be made. Most new guns don't bring much more then 10-20% profit which isn't a lot when you consider the overhead and headaches FFL's have to put up with. Used guns offer a chance for them to make a real profit, but only if the gun sells quickly, and that means a low price sells them best. Most dealers will offer you about 50% of what they plan to sell the gun for. If you're lucky, you may get a good one that gets up into the 60-70% range. If you have a run of the mill S&W revolver that these days might easily bring $400 to $500 on an online auction or something, you would be upset to sell it for less then that. Some dealers will pay $250, maybe $300 for that gun and sell it for $500 if they aren't in a hurry and want top dollar. Others will sell it before it even gets logged in by selling it for $350 because most of us would jump on a deal like that. But that leaves you taking about half what the gun is worth for him to make a profit.

As you stay around this game long enough, it doesn't take long to realize you won't get many guns in your collection at that rate. I have learned though that you just can't be offended. These guys have to make money to survive, and we need them. If you go into a deal with an FFL with the understanding he has to make a profit, then you have to work on those terms.

On the other hand, you could probably turn the same example gun here on the forum for maybe $400 pretty darn quick. The dealers still make $20 to $30 for doing the transfer and you get a more fair price. I recently wanted to sell off some stuff and listed 10 guns here. It took a couple months, but seven of them are gone already, and I think for fair prices for me and the buyers.

As a shooter/collector, you buy good guns used at good prices and you can often get your money back should you decide to sell them if you care for them and don't over pay when you buy. It really does pay to shop around and keep your eyes open for good deals on stuff you want. An FFL can't survive on just getting his money back. We have to give them a little every once in a while though to keep them around.

All the more reason, I don't think I will ever be able to do this gun thing for a living. I've never been a business man.

AJ