Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Close Call Tonight

So after I got home from work tonight I got the trusty snow blower out to clear some of these death flakes..

Got done, shut the garage door and turned off the light. Went out to grab a quick bite to eat and came back. Driving up the hill to my house I noticed the garage lights were back on. I quick asked myself if it was possible that I had forgot to shut the light off, but no.. I had not forgotten.

So I park my car near the end of my driveway down the hill so I can get out tomorrow and grab my wawa bag. Hand on G21SF IWB.

Get out of the car & listen to my surroundings, scan what is going on around me. As you all may imagine my heart is racing pretty good at this point. See and hear nothing at all. Walk up to my garage and the door is open with snowblower gone.

Then I hear steps coming from behind me(very faint since the snow makes things so damn quiet) I am half the way to pulling out my glock when I see who it is with relief. My neighbor does normally borrow our snow blower but he was supposed to be out of town for another week stuck in TN or WI or something.

Nothing happended beyond that worth mentioning but damn are people fucking stupid sometimes. During the last storm I was talking to him about CC and going to the range together, etc. You would think that he would know better than to approach me at night like that.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Close Call Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by svltrack View Post
    ... As you all may imagine my heart is racing pretty good at this point. See and hear nothing at all. Walk up to my garage and the door is open with snowblower gone.

Then I hear steps coming from behind me...
    No harm, no foul.

You were situational aware and that's a good thing.

Now, imagine some podunk schlep, dweeb who was in a similar situation and unprepared but it was the real thing...

Ya done good, sleep tight.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by svltrack View Post
    Then I hear steps coming from behind me(very faint since the snow makes things so damn quiet) I am half the way to pulling out my glock when I see who it is with relief. My neighbor does normally borrow our snow blower but he was supposed to be out of town for another week stuck in TN or WI or something.
    It's very nice of you to let your neighbor borrow your snowblower.... but you might want to create a sign (that he keeps) that he can hang on the door when he does so.... just so you know it was your neighbor that took it......

Glad everything turned out OK.... for both of you....

ID

Honey, you know better than to walk up behind me like that...
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Lebanon County)

My neighbor used to sneak along the side of the house when I'd come home, then turn the corner real fast with his arms drawn out..... I told him that'll be about enough of that.
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Cambria County)

I came home one day to find my front door unlocked. I slowly walked in and heard someone moving around in the next room, my hand went for my pistol instantly, as my dad came around the corner. He was up there looking for something that he wanted to borrow.

Those that don't carry a firearm, really don't give it much thought. They just assume that your going to know it is them, and that our ESPN will let us know when it is a good guy or bad guy ahead of time.

Good job on being alert. On not running away scared. On not overreacting. It is stuff like this that is good for us. I teaches us a lot about ourselves and what we will most likely do when things do go badly.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Bucks County)

Interesting story, and stupid of anyone to walk up behind anyone else without announcing themselves, but let's not forget the 4 rules:

1. All guns are always loaded!
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!1
    4. Always be sure of your target!

In my mind, combining #2 and #4 means don't point your gun at anyone, let alone shoot them, until you're absolutely certain that person is a threat and that you are prepared to take their life.
    Last edited by rikilii; March 2nd, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Chester County)

Thanks for comments on this. I live in yuppe-ville and there is next to no crime here. Of all the possible situations for a true test of reaction and decision making this is probably the best type to have come first.

I suspect a lot of novices rack their brain about all the possible threats they may encounter, where the greatest threat is overeacting and causing a horrible accident.

You know he did not make it easy on me either, wearing his giant parka jacket and hat straight out of Eastern Mountain Sports.

(Delaware County)

In my worthless and inexperienced opinion, you did an excellent and commendable job with this. You used restraint, patience, and situational awareness, and understood the situation before you took action, and everything turned out OK where, with another actor in your place, someone may have been injured or killed.

I am impressed. Rep is on the way.