Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel Tec PF9

Default Kel Tec PF9

Hi All,

Any one own or owned either a Kel Tec PF9 or P-11? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

thanx,
    jrm

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Kel Tec PF9

my brother owned one, and only recently parte with it, and not because he wanted to.

the only drawback thsat i've seen is the recoil. it's a featherlight gun, that shoots 9mm, so it kicks like Bruce Lee. but, it's crazy accurate, and super reliable. the only ammo it was picky with was 147g. Winchesters. it ate up anything else.

some people have had nightmares with theirs, and the first run of them were problematic. they corrected most of the problems, though. if you do have an earlier model, you can send it back for corrections, at no cost.

that's the other thing about Keltec that's great: their customer service. it's top notch. when my brother got his, he'd had it for only a short time, and the slide developed severe rusting and pitting, for no good reason. he called them up, and told him to ship it back. apparently, some of the slides weren't blued properly or something. they sent him a whole new slide, with better sights, and it never had a problem with rust again. all free of charge.

it really is a good gun; he was able to get groups under 2" at at least 25 yards out, consistently. that's more than enough for self defense.

(Allegheny County)

Yep we just did this exact conversation a week ago...

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/90...e-opinion.html

I know the search sucks but... a miniscule amount of effort should be exerted before starting a new thread to find a similar one.

(Bucks County)

I bought one when they first came out and love it. It does have some recoil since it is such a light gun but it is great. Small enough I keep on my ankle and front pocket! Paid 285 for mine.

(Montgomery County)

the only drawback thsat i've seen is the recoil. it's a featherlight gun, that shoots 9mm, so it kicks like Bruce Lee

My brother owns one and carries it.

The pro is its light/flat, so its easy to carry concealed. But as stated above- the recoil is "snappy" (high muzzle rise) which I find annoying.

I carry a Glock 30- and in comparision the heavier weight keeps the recoil and rise down to a better agree. JMO

Thanx for your reply. How does the Glock 30 compare in size? (no need to discuss price)

(Lancaster County)

G30 looks like a big fat pig next to the PF9.

(Allegheny County)

The biggest selling point is how slim it is... and it's probably one of the most "pocketable" 9mm pistols there is because of that, esp in its price range.

It's not the best made gun, not the prettiest, and workmanship leaves a lot to desire for, but it shoots... and shoots... and shoots. Pretty reliable for the price tag. I haven't had any malfunctions with mine, but man... like the others have said, it KICKS. The trigger isn't match-grade smooth, and the recoil is VERY snappy and sharp - not a pleasant gun to shoot a lot from. But considering what it was designed for, none of these really matter too much. (aside from the fact that you should practice a lot with your carry firearm, which you hand will not enjoy with this little gun)

(Philadelphia County)

My Dad has a Kel Tec PF9. It's certainly not the prettiest or most high-quality pistol but it appears to be reliable. I don't recall my Dad ever having trouble with it. It has one heck of a kick and it'll kill your hand if you shoot it a lot at the range. It's a lot slimmer than the Glock 26 I carry as my CCW and almost half the price.

I purchased the PF9 because I got tired of EDC'ing (sorry if you aren't familiar with the term, it means 'every day carrying') the USP .40 C I used to own. I wanted something adequate enough to stop someone, but light and slim enough to not get noticed easily and not be uncomfortable or a PITA to carry. To this day, I still refer to it as my "carry gun for when I don't want to carry a gun."
    I wouldn't ever purchase it as your only pistol. It's not the most comfortable to shoot, but it's not bad. The recoil honestly, IMO, isn't much worse than a polymer framed (glock, USP compact, sig p250, etc.) pistol in .40sw. So it's not terrible.
    The only thing I HATE is the trigger. It's smooth, that's not the problem. It's not THAT heavy, which isn't an issue either. The problem for me is the long pull and the long reset. It's VERY hard to get immediate follow-up shots with this pistol, 1. because of recoil, and 2. (primarily) because of the crappy reset and pull length of the trigger.
    Other than that, once I "broke mine in;" I haven't had any trouble with it at the range. I love it, but I normally carry my Sig 228 these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast