Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Please help with my first NFA purchase (suppressor)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    I missed this post, if your chief of police doesn't have the problem with signing other than the liability factor. I would demonstrate there is none, with an internet search the info is out there, the one that comes to mind if I recall the details correctly is a police officer in Ohio murdered a drug dealer with an M-11. Family took the police chief to court and was ruled there was no liability or no way of knowing that by the signing a form 4 would have been known in advance a crime.

This is also one of the rare cases where anyone was murdered using a registered NFA device.

I would do the research / prove the no liabilty factor to police chief vs getting into a trust deal, but to each their own, bad legal trust advice can cost lots more if you get the wrong one.

Also offer the chief a chance to shoot a few rounds after it comes in, a little freindly persuasion couldn't hurt either.

an option is you can also get a local sitting judge to sign the form 4, rare but its another way if you know a judge that would be willing.

By the way you will like your TAC 65 if that is what you end up getting.
    I thought about trying to convince the CLEO that there was no liability, but I already talked to him on the phone several times and had a meeting in person about it. If I bother him any more about it he will probably take it as harrassment. Besides, there are other advantages to forming a trust. I like not having to send in my fingerprints and passport photo to the ATF. IMO they have no right to have that information anyway. You are right that an invalid trust can lead to a lot of legal problems, which is why I found a lawyer who specializes in gun trusts. His name is Joshua Prince, and I think he might be a member of this forum. My appointment is tomorrow, and I will post an update with how it goes.

As for the suppressor itself, I decided to go with the TAC65. It was the ability to take apart for cleaning that had me sold. The tool to take it apart is expensive but its just a one time cost. All together with the suppressor, tax stamp, lawyer fees, the disassembly tool, and barrel threading I am spending $995! Most of that money is just because of political BS but thats what it takes. It kills me to think I could've gotten a new AR for that price and had a couple hundred bucks to spare. Oh well, thats just the world of NFA!
    Last edited by bac0nfat; March 4th, 2010 at 09:02 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I found a lawyer who specializes in gun trusts. His name is Joshua Prince, and I think he might be a member of this forum. My appointment is tomorrow, and I will post an update with how it goes.
    Josh is a smart cookie... Prince Law formed my LLC for me and are helping me to get my shop up and running soon. They are super-duper guys to deal with. They have several locations and many very talented guys working for them.

You are in good hands.

(Chester County)

Any updates? Rough cost to have the attorney set up the trust?
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Schuylkill County)

Creating a trust with Quicken is very easy. If you can read, you can do it. Thousands of others have done it, and they are legal despite what some lawyers "may" say. Also, here is a pic of my Outback II disassembled. Also easy to do. Gemtech will do it for you now.

Jeremy

my OB2 doesn't come apart, is yours a new model?
    FJB

(Schuylkill County)

Mine is an '08 model. They are all assembled with sometype of thread lock. I just put it in a toaster oven @350* for about an hour. I made a holder out a a block of wood to put in a vice to hold it and just turned off the rear endcap. I made a spanner to fit in the notches in the baffles to twist them free. If you send an OBII back to Gemtech for cleaning, they will not glue it if you request them not to.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by J Krammes View Post
    Mine is an '08 model. They are all assembled with sometype of thread lock. I just put it in a toaster oven @350* for about an hour. I made a holder out a a block of wood to put in a vice to hold it and just turned off the rear endcap. I made a spanner to fit in the notches in the baffles to twist them free. If you send an OBII back to Gemtech for cleaning, they will not glue it if you request them not to.

Jeremy
    mine doesnt have any holes or holes for spanner, its just flat all around.
    FJB

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    mine doesnt have any holes or holes for spanner, its just flat all around.
    No holes in the end caps. I just use my hands to turn off the end cap. The spanner is for the baffles. I am going to mill some gripping grooves in the end cap eventually.

BTW, I love your sig line...

Jeremy

(Bucks County)

Well the trust is finished! Just got it notarized so it's all official. $400 for the trust and $18 for the notary (it had to be notarized in three seperate places). I called Claytons (the class 3 dealer) yesterday to get the status of the suppressor, and he said it hasn't come in yet. So I called Tactical Innovations directly and they said that the transfer process of transferring the suppressor to the dealer usaually takes about 3-4 weeks. Does anyone know what this is about? I thought a class three dealer could just order the item and have it shipped right away. Its been about a month now since I placed the order so it should come in any day now. Also, I have my buckmark cut down, threaded and ready to go for the can! Eventually I plan to get a Tactical Innovations threaded barrel for my 10/22 as well, does anyone have any experience with those? Thanks for the replies.

(Armstrong County)

It sounds like your dealer had to order the can. It is transfered to him from the manufacture on a Form3 thru the ATF. Then you begin the process of your Form4.
    Last edited by Nate7667; March 30th, 2010 at 04:35 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast