Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Does your pistol scratch or mark-up easily? Do you care if it does?

Looked the PPS over carefully the other day and found an observable surface scratch in the shroud by the muzzle.

3 or 4 applications of cleaning/drying/blue & buffing made it go away but I sure would like the finish to be a little tougher than that.

I keep the pistol in its holster (smooth high grade nylon)

I have no idea what cause the scratches - annoying!

I guess that guns will get "marked up" and need to be less "Monkish" about it.

How carefully do you concern yourself with your pistol's appearance and how does your pistol hold up with use?

I'll bet this is NOT a problem for you stainless guys!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Does your pistol scratch or mark-up easily? Do you care if it does?

my Sig and Hk don't mark up all that well, although the HK finish is a lot thinner than the Sig. I am also very anal and careful with them because I like to keep them purrrrrrrdy!

I find that a wipe down with a silicone cloth gets rid of all the marks that I could put in them.

(Monroe County)

My first handgun was an XD9 service, and it held up very well even after a few terrifying drops. There were a few small nicks and scratches on it, and to be honest first I was a little upset about it. After all, it was my baby . After a while I kind of started to like it, kind of like a badge of honor. It was my carry gun and I trusted it with my life. Kind of like a special bond, representing the things we've been through together.

Now would I intentionally scratch my new gun? Hell no! But I won't cry over spilled milk. If it's really that bad you can refinish it.

I keep it cleaned after every range session and I try to wipe it down pretty often either way. It's a carry gun, not a safe queen. It doesn't need to look pretty, it needs to function and save lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

my glocks show holster wear marks. of course, i bought them used with a bunch of holster wear already on them. but i have definitely added a good bit.

it doesn't bother me in the least. the entire black coating could wear away for all i care (though i guess i do kinda like the gun being blacker than silver just from an aesthetic point of view).

but that is because the tennifer process (which is what protects glocks from rust, etc.) alters the metal itself...and the black coating is just for looks. if the coating were what was actually protecting the gun from rusting, etc. then i would be concerned about it.
    F*S=k

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Looked the PPS over carefully the other day and found an observable surface scratch in the shroud by the muzzle.

3 or 4 applications of cleaning/drying/blue & buffing made it go away but I sure would like the finish to be a little tougher than that.

I keep the pistol in its holster (smooth high grade nylon)

I have no idea what cause the scratches - annoying!

I guess that guns will get "marked up" and need to be less "Monkish" about it.

How carefully do you concern yourself with your pistol's appearance and how does your pistol hold up with use?

I'll bet this is NOT a problem for you stainless guys!

no, but then I really dont care..I dont have safe queens or even bother to buy really "nice" guns..Im gonna use them so they will tend to get dinged up a bit...to me a Police trade in Glock is just as good as a brand new NIB one...so id save the $$ and get the trade in one...same deal with rifles..the Remington 700 and Savage accutrigger rifles are both great but one is substantially less than the other..I would take the Savage because id be sacred of marring up something expensive...I guess simply my answer is no even though I dont try to mar mine up if they do get a bit dinged im ok with it.

(Franklin County)

My 220 Elite seems to like to wear on the top of the slide going into the leather holster.

Is there any way to speed up breaking the holster in or keeping the guns finish from wearing off?

(Berks County)

Kind of like a new pair of shoes.. Once it gets one, the rest don't matter. Not to say I get careless after that but in relation to the "new shoes" thing you get the point.

(Allegheny County)

This is the ONE reason i hate blued guns, the finish comes off wayyyy to easily, and idk why but after im done handling my guns they seem to rust (i wipe them down with a silicon cloth and oil after use now, in a temp/humidity controlled room)
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    My 220 Elite seems to like to wear on the top of the slide going into the leather holster.

Is there any way to speed up breaking the holster in or keeping the guns finish from wearing off?
    it looks like wear but its not, wipe it down with a silicone cloth and see what happens, if your sig is wearing from that holster thats very surprising to me, ive never had any holster wear on any of my sigs or hk's....or anything else for that matter from leather.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    and idk why but after im done handling my guns they seem to rust
    that's because they aren't glocks.

littleredhadtodoitbutinallseriousnesstheyreallywou ldnotrustiftheywereglockstoyota
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast