Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mounting a Lee pro auto disk powder measure

Just curious... i have an antique Parker press and i was wondering how i mount the Lee measure. Is it by itself or will the http://www.factorysales.com/html/xca...g/powhan1.html

Riser or Charging Die be the appropriate thing to have?
    Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: Mounting a Lee pro auto disk powder measure

Is your press single stage? If so, you can run it as is without the riser. With Lee dies, just unscrew the hex head on the powder through expander die, and replace with the powder measure. It'll screw right in. I haven't tried it in anything but Lee dies, so I won't be much help there.

You didn't mention the caliber(s) you'll be working with. If you're just doing handgun cartridges, you won't need the "Rifle Charging Die".

I'll add that you may want the double disk kit just to give you a little more adjustment with your loads. You may not end up needing it, but if you don't have it... ;-D
    Last edited by Don T.; February 25th, 2010 at 06:45 PM.

I just got it ordered from lee (the DD kit)

i have rcbs dies in a single stage. I was wondering what that riser is for...

i guess what i want to do it de-prime and resize and prime all my brass, then put on the powder measure (in the press) and fill all my brass, then "unscrew" that and seat the bullets...will the riser deal allow me to do that?

thanks a lot, i'm not finding the info i need on their website so asking you guys is probably my best shot.

thanks

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by blysccr View Post
    Just curious... i have an antique Parker press and i was wondering how i mount the Lee measure. Is it by itself or will the http://www.factorysales.com/html/xca...g/powhan1.html

Riser or Charging Die be the appropriate thing to have?
    Thanks
    The "riser" is just an extension, allowing the powder measur to be mounted about 1" higher above the press.

You want the "charging die" to mount into the 7/8x14 threads on the press, with the measure on top of that, and to charge the powder in each case.

Actually, the "swivel adapter" is a real handy item, which allows for much easier mounting and dismounting of the powder measure from the die/press. You don't have to spin the measure around, just unscrew the knurled knob. Very handy when swithcing from die to die or turret to turret on a progressive press, where each caliber's dies are set on an individual turret, and turrets are swapped to change caliber.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

If you're running a single stage press, it would probably be easier to use this http://www.factorysales.com/html/xca...g/powhan2.html

Just put all the cases into a block and dispense powder into each. Using the auto disk you'll have to remove an empty case from the block, put it into the shell holder, move the ram up, move the ram down, take the case off, put it back into the block, repeat..... That's a lot of work in comparison.

My previous powder scale was based on that same idea. I know it's old, but i'd get up to a 3 gram variation per dispense....so i'ma try something new

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Yep, that's right. If you are charging rifle cases, that will work. Are you intending to recharge the case immediately after priming, while it is still in the press? That would be a very efficient way to do things.

Although, you would then be handling a case full of powder (without a bullet to close the case) not once, but twice. Once removing it from the press after riming and charging, setting it in a loading block and then second, picking it up to move it to the pres for the bullet seating/crimping process. That would increase the chances of spillage and winding up with a case with less than desired charge. Care is required.

For one-at-a-time rifle relaoding, I use a powder measure mounted on a stand on the bench, where I can charge the case immediately before setting it in the ram and inserting and crimping the bullet.

What are you reloading?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

I kinda am stuck with what I got since I got the measure for a gift, and want to utilize what i have the best way i can.

right now, 22-250 and hopefully by august some 9 or .40