Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gun Laws are Ridiculous

I know you all know that. But man... why don't they just make a law that says you can carry anywhere except for one inch on either side of each odd-numbered mile-marker on any highway. There... you can carry at 99.9999% of all locations, but good luck working out the logistics of doing it!

OK, I'm done. I've just had enough.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Gun Laws are Ridiculous

I agree with the spirit, if not the grammar, of your post.

(Allegheny County)

I feel the same way. Especially the school zone B.S.. It makes life difficult when you have to pick up the kids, yet your LTCF is no good there. You have to risk jail time just picking them up if your already out and about. This needs overturned, Got to stop now, my blood pressure is about to blow my eye balls out.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I feel the same way. Especially the school zone B.S.. It makes life difficult when you have to pick up the kids, yet your LTCF is no good there. You have to risk jail time just picking them up if your already out and about. This needs overturned, Got to stop now, my blood pressure is about to blow my eye balls out.
    not true. you're perfectly legal to pick up your kids, if you have a valid LTCF. i would just avoid walking into a school; even that rule is under scrutiny. i used to pick up my kid from school all the time, open carrying. it's legal.

the school zone law only applies if you don't have a valid license. in that cse, you can't be within 1,000' of a school.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    I know you all know that. But man... why don't they just make a law that says you can carry anywhere except for one inch on either side of each odd-numbered mile-marker on any highway. There... you can carry at 99.9999% of all locations, but good luck working out the logistics of doing it!

OK, I'm done. I've just had enough.

Are you thinking of anything specific?

There really aren't that many places that you can't legally carry (as you've already alluded to), but "working out the logistics" shouldn't be that difficult.

Unless you are getting your info from people who say you can't carry in a bar.

Or a school zone.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    not true. you're perfectly legal to pick up your kids, if you have a valid LTCF. i would just avoid walking into a school; even that rule is under scrutiny. i used to pick up my kid from school all the time, open carrying. it's legal.

the school zone law only applies if you don't have a valid license. in that cse, you can't be within 1,000' of a school.
    I dont know how I missed that. Im going to go back over the law. Obviously I must have read into the statute something that wasn't there. My eye's do tend to glaze over while reading them. Thanks for the correction.

(Venango County)

That's a good example.

That's what we'll have if every city can have their own laws. It's what we do have if you want to travel across the U.S.

Why is it, when it was thought forest fires were pandemic, we had a Smokey the Bear campaign that taught about responsible ways to build and put-out fires? We did not attempt to eradicate fires except for Firemen.

"Only firemen can build fires."

"Only you can prevent forest fires", was the actual slogan.

"Only you can prevent crimes."
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

Jahwarrior72, This was my point of reference I based my original post on. Has the language been changed? My apologies to the Original Poster, I dont intend to hijack the thread I just need to be on the right side of the law on this one.

§912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is pos*sessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose. (Added by L.1980, Act 167(1), eff. 12/15/80.)

(Allegheny County)

Jahwarrior72, This was my point of reference I based my original post on. Has the language been changed? My apologies to the Original Poster, I dont intend to hijack the thread I just need to be on the right side of the law on this one.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is pos*sessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose. (Added by L.1980, Act 167(1), eff. 12/15/80.)
    you answered your own question
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lackawanna County)

the wording hasn't changed. i was speaking of the "school zone" law, which forbids anyone from being within 1,000' of a school; PA law overrides federal law, in that anyone with a valid PA LTCF can stand right next to a school, and be within the law.

also, possession of a firearm for self defense by may be interpreted as "lawful purpose" under section (C) of the statute.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast