Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Combative Study Group in Pittsburgh.

Hello all,

I am interested in forming a Combative Study Group in Pittsburgh. No masters or anything like that. Just a few of us studying and training together to ensure we can rip someone to shreds if we have to.

I have been thinking we get together once or twice a week and work on unarmed and armed combatives (depending on location and various things, Blue guns,air soft and dummy knives).

I just want this to be a gathering of some people with a common interest and using some common sense. I figure we do some drills and then some free spars. One person having some time off to watch a fight and make sure no one goes too hard.

For a location I have no where in mind. But as I said I am new to Pittsburgh so I imagine allot of you may have better ideas than me. Around me a few halls are for rent so that may be an option though it could be too pricey for us.

I am personally training and studying allot of Fairbairn's Get Tough, and have in the past done everything from combative training to armored assailant to karate.

This is similar to something we did back home. If anyone is interested then maybe we can work together and figure out what we need to know.

In the past I have seen similar things get ruined by egos and such, I don't want to be a boss :P ! I think we are all intelligent enough to just work together and help each other acquire new skills.

Thanks for your time guys

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Combative Study Group in Pittsburgh.

You project seems like a good idea.

But, I'm afraid you are going to run into a few roadblocks. The biggest one is finding a place that will let you hold your activities. If you're lucky enough to find a place that will permit these activities, I'm very sure they are going to require your group to have liability insurance. This means you'll have to pay for it yourself or charge participants. You'll also definitely want to have each participant sign a waiver. You'll also need to purchase protective equipment or make sure people bring some. I'm not trying to squash your idea, I'm just bringing to light the (unfortunate) reality of it.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

Might want to look into this section to make sure you will not violate any laws

§5515. Prohibiting of Paramilitary Training.
    (a) Definitions.—As used in this section the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    “Civil disorder.” Any public disturbance involving acts of violence by assemblages of three or more persons, which causes an immediate danger of or results in damage or injury to the property or person of any other individual.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Might want to look into this section to make sure you will not violate any laws

§5515. Prohibiting of Paramilitary Training.
    (a) Definitions.—As used in this section the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    “Civil disorder.” Any public disturbance involving acts of violence by assemblages of three or more persons, which causes an immediate danger of or results in damage or injury to the property or person of any other individual.
    I saw some laws regarding that, I don't think that applys to what I wish to organise. At the end of the day it is about self defence and studying a variety of system and bring knowledge to the table. All people will sign a waiver saying that they have no intentions to violate any laws or cause any trouble. I figure that should cover that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You project seems like a good idea.

But, I'm afraid you are going to run into a few roadblocks. The biggest one is finding a place that will let you hold your activities.

This means you'll have to pay for it yourself or charge participants. You'll also definitely want to have each participant sign a waiver. You'll also need to purchase protective equipment or make sure people bring some. I'm not trying to squash your idea, I'm just bringing to light the (unfortunate) reality of it.
    I have been considering a lot of those things.

For a place to hold this I think most halls will allow us to do martial arts training, We can always explain what we do. We would probably start off doing mainly hand to hand combative, Just to get to know each other better and the owners of the hall. So that should not be as much an issue to find a place, I also thought that if everyone signed a waiver that may prevent us from requiring the need for liability insurance, Though I am not sure there.

The cost of the hall would be split amongst us, We could do that for insurance also.

With regards to protective equipment all we really need to begin is a kick shield (I was gonna make one, its just a big pad.) to practice some strikes on hard and each other. We won't be hitting full power or anything for a while. If people have gloves/head guards and such then we can bring them and use them but I don't think equipment is needed much except for a kick shield and maybe a dummy knife to try some disarms.

I really appreciate everyone's input, As I said I am not envisioning this as being a thing that I run, I think we should run it. I have very little training with firearms, I would love for more experienced people to bring that to us, I would love to organize some instructors to come to us.

Thanks for reading this guys, And please keep ideas and opinions coming, Even the negative reality's. I appreciate them allot!

A group did this same thing about 20 yrs ago now, in a local municipality gym. Basically owned by the boro/ thus by the people. We put in a request for a time slot to use facility and we met at a designated time and cross trained several martial arts styles. Some good training was had. Might start by trying a boro that has a gymnasium or open facility that can be scheduled for activities. I've seen class rooms, churches and similar places used to train in. All you need is a willing facility and a few people to use it. If there is a fee, I'm sure it could be easily covered by a group with a small "donation".
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nlcrsn View Post
    A group did this same thing about 20 yrs ago now, in a local municipality gym. Basically owned by the boro/ thus by the people. We put in a request for a time slot to use facility and we met at a designated time and cross trained several martial arts styles. Some good training was had. Might start by trying a boro that has a gymnasium or open facility that can be scheduled for activities. I've seen class rooms, churches and similar places used to train in. All you need is a willing facility and a few people to use it. If there is a fee, I'm sure it could be easily covered by a group with a small "donation".
    Exactly what I am thinking of doing! It's cool to know that this was done a long time ago, Sorta inspiring. By my way of looking at it if we get at least 5 or so people we can figure something out, Even if it means meeting in a park...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOC View Post
    Exactly what I am thinking of doing! It's cool to know that this was done a long time ago, Sorta inspiring. By my way of looking at it if we get at least 5 or so people we can figure something out, Even if it means meeting in a park...
    Parks can be sketchy.

I use to have a MA school (10 years ago). I decided on a nice summer morning to take a class outside to Boyce Park. We were there about 15 minutes when a county police car showed up. The officer came over and asked what we were doing here. I explained we were a legitimate school enjoying the outdoors (we were in uniform). He asked a few more questions and said as long as we didn't spar (make contact with each other), we could continue.

Now a friend of mine had a school in Brentwood. During the summer we would practice at Brentwood Park on Sat mornings. They had no issue with us training in street clothes and allowed sparring. I'm not sure how my associate got permission from the park.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Parks can be sketchy.

I use to have a MA school (10 years ago). I decided on a nice summer morning to take a class outside to Boyce Park. We were there about 15 minutes when a county police car showed up. The officer came over and asked what we were doing here. I explained we were a legitimate school enjoying the outdoors (we were in uniform). He asked a few more questions and said as long as we didn't spar (make contact with each other), we could continue.

Now a friend of mine had a school in Brentwood. During the summer we would practice at Brentwood Park on Sat mornings. They had no issue with us training in street clothes and allowed sparring. I'm not sure how my associate got permission from the park.
    Thanks for the advice, I will have to look into Brentwood as a possibility. Allot of my thoughts are about trying to keep costs to a minimum, Especially these days.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like a great idea but the one thing that sticks out:

For any class/study group, you need someone with experience to teach or supervise the activities. If your practicing bad habits, you are ingraining bad habits into your mind. Someone has to know what to practice.

Other than that, I hope that everything works out well for your group.

Right now, I can't add anything that hasn't been addressed already.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Sounds like a great idea but the one thing that sticks out:

For any class/study group, you need someone with experience to teach or supervise the activities. If your practicing bad habits, you are ingraining bad habits into your mind. Someone has to know what to practice.

Other than that, I hope that everything works out well for your group.

Right now, I can't add anything that hasn't been addressed already.
    My hope would be that some of us would have some experience. I have experience in things myself, I would not consider myself an expert but I know enough to recognize bullshit. At the end of the day it is usually pretty common sense about what works and what does not.

If it was just myself with some people who have no experience in anything I would feel confident in us working on some drills and things that I could lead with regards to a hand to hand scenario, For other things it would be the priority to either get training and bring it back or to get trainers in.

My big thing on No Masters was that I don't want this to be an exercise in ego, I want us to be able to train together and learn together. After all we are all always learning.

Out of everyone who has posted and anyone who is just reading, Who would be interested in us getting together if I book a Hall and get all that squared away?

Thanks for your comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast