Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default I thought I might have to draw on someone at Target?!

I haven't been on the site in a while but I thought you might be interested in my story.

So today I stopped by the old Target in Springfield, Delco. I wanted to see what Blu Rays were on sale. As I was looking at the DVD's I hear this guy say, "I couldn't understand the other guy so could you tell me where the dictionaries are?" He didn't say excuse me which should have been my first clue. I look over at this 30ish white guy in a suit jacket, tie, slacks, and dress shirt then look at myself to see if I have my work ID on which sometimes get mistaken for a store clerks ID. I then look at him with a perplexed look. He says "I know you don't work here but I thought you could tell me." I point behind me and say that I think they are over by the big sign that says books. I look back at the DVD's and he says, "Over there?" I say yeah at the big sign. I again turn back to the DVD's and he is still staring at me so I look at him again. He extends his hand and says, "I'm Brother Thomas."

Now at this point I am not really on alert or anything. I'm actually thinking that maybe I can have a short discussion on religion and move on so I introduce myself and say, "oh you must be a Mornan." He is looking at me with this kind of intense look and says, "We are called Saints."

My alert level goes up so I say, "It takes a lot of courage to approach someone in public but I'm not really interested in talking. Besides I know a bit about the Morman Church and I'm not interested, but thanks anyway." He is still staring at me without blinking and says, "We are not the Morman Church we are the Church of Jesus Christ and how do you know about us?" I telll him that my dad was involved as a teenager because of his older brother etc but he cuts me off by saying, "It's not good to call people by their wrong names because it causes problems."

At this point I'm thinking of how I'm going to access my gun (summer gun Kel Tec 3AT) in my man purse (also know as a Maxpedition Jumbo Pack with a built in holster) and what my next move is. I was and am still convinced that this guy is psychotic and has heard some internal voice tell him to go talk to people about Jesus. Don't get me wrong I go to church every Sunday and I am a strong believer in Jesus but I am also a Principal at a school for high schoolers with behavioral, mental and emotion needs. I think I know when a person is under mental distress. I also know that most Morman's go out in pairs, are typically dressed in a black suit with a black tie and white shirt with an ID badge. This guy was not dressed like that and was not with a partner. I was thinking that he may get angry and pull a gun to start shooting the place up so my alert level goes into high gear.

My fight or flight response kicks in. I start to position my man purse for split second access to my gun as I stand up taller and talk in my school administator voice , look into his unblinking eyes and say to the guy, "Look, I already told you that I'm not interested and I don't want to talk. Thanks anyway but I'm done." He seemed to get the idea and slowly walks away.

I still think the guy is a threat so I find the Target Security and tell them about the guy. The security guard tells me, "Oh, he's not supposed to be in here" and walks off to find him. I still keep my bag at the ready because I was still expecting to hear gun shots or a commotion. I looked around a little then head home.

I truly believe that this dude was deranged and with the way he was staring at me I think he could be moved to act violently. He seemed angry and was creepy. Some people just give you that feeling. So if you are at the Target in Springfield watch out for Brother Thomas.

(Adams County)

Default Re: I thought I might have to draw on someone at Target?!

It sounds as if you had the right idea being alert/concerned, but other than being a little strange or goofy, I don't see how this guy was a threat. Definitely not worthy of lethal force. Glad you didn't shoot him, but good that you alerted security to let them deal with him.
    Last edited by jtwalker; February 24th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

(Allegheny County)

no need for a gun there, just one good swift kick to the nuts would have done it.
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Mormons are only one church out of VERY MANY whose members use the title "Brother" or "Sister". I knew a Jesuit priest in St. Louis in 1958 who was ready to fight if you didn't use that salutation with him. Many denominations.

"Friend" is one you don't hear that often, anymore.

There was an old Quaker who lived down around Pymouth, who was disturbed in his house one late night. Arming himself with his blunderbuss, he proceeded to interview the house-breaker. He said, "Friend, I would do thee no harm, for all of the world. But thee standest where I am about to shoot".

Have a good night, Brother.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 556slinger View Post
    no need for a gun there, just one good swift kick to the nuts would have done it.
    Naw, it practically BEGS for a gun, It was in a "TARGET", after all, wasn't it?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

If you think a religious whack job staring at you, is a threat enough to draw on, you need to put the gun away, and re-evaluate your life..........

(Philadelphia County)

If you got that "feeling", then there was probably something up with this guy. Back in cave man days, we got that feeling if there was a saber toothed tiger in the area. It kept us alive to the point where our species is still here. Today, it's Brother Thomas that we have to worry about. We have the fight or flight instinct for a reason and if your spidy senses were tingling ....listen to them. Good job.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Clinton County)

that reminds me of the time that some random woman wanted to lay hands on my newborn daughter at the time and pray over her. I said, " No thank you and she looked at me like I had just killed a kitten with a hammer."

Some weird ass people out there.

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like Brother Thomas opted for the rectal lobotomy at the indoctrination.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Berks County)

I'd say that you acted in an appropriate way, .45 Principal. Despite what some others may say, you simply put yourself in a position to act quickly if need be. You never know what kind of thoughts may be running through a persons head. It wouldn't be the first time that a religious nut job decided to harm the innocent.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast