Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NYC sucks so much.

So I had to call every state in between VA and NY to find out if I could bring my M1 garand to Long island. I literally had a NYC Sargent tell me that "We have different laws than Virginia because we dont support crime and why would you bring a gun to OUR state. And that I would have to speak to a lawyer in NYC for their laws not the police."

I also got "No you cant bring a gun out of your state, what do you think would happen if you brought a gun out of Virginia, obviously you will get arrested"

I eventually got a hold of a corporal in NYC who said just to have the rifle and the ammo seperate and locked and its just fine.

Sigh, I hate New York.

Default Re: NYC sucks so much.

your mistake was calling the police rather ten reading the laws yourself. cops don't know the laws

Quote Originally Posted by T3h H4t View Post
    So I had to call every state in between VA and NY to find out if I could bring my M1 garand to Long island. I literally had a NYC Sargent tell me that "We have different laws than Virginia because we dont support crime and why would you bring a gun to OUR state. And that I would have to speak to a lawyer in NYC for their laws not the police."

I also got "No you cant bring a gun out of your state, what do you think would happen if you brought a gun out of Virginia, obviously you will get arrested"

I eventually got a hold of a corporal in NYC who said just to have the rifle and the ammo seperate and locked and its just fine.

Sigh, I hate New York.
    Someone clarify-how is an M1 treated legally(long gun? handgun? different?). You can't bring a handgun TO NYC(unless you live there and have permits exc.); only THROUGH NYC per FOPA.
    To the OP-you may want to check further on this.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    your mistake was calling the police rather ten reading the laws yourself. cops don't know the laws
    what he said

(York County)

Wink Re: NYC sucks so much.

Start here.

Here are your main areas of concern:

Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

For City of New York:

Title 38 of the Rules of the City of New York, § 17-01. Assault Weapons Designated. (a) Pursuant to Subparagraph 7 of Paragraph a of Subdivision 16 of § 10-301 of the New York City Administrative Code, the following makes and models of weapons are determined to be particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes and are determined to be within the statutory definition of assault weapon as set forth in § 10‑301(16) of the New York City Administrative Code: (1) Models Calico M-900 carbine, Calico M-100 carbine manufactured by American Industries, (2) Models Lightning 25-22, AP-74 manufactured by AMT, (3) Model AR-180 manufactured by Armalite, (4) Model .223 SAC manufactured by Austrian Automatic Arms, (5) Models M-1-SA, 1927-A1-SA manufactured by Auto Ordinance, (6) Model Light 50 82-AL manufactured by Barrett Firearms, (7) Models AR70, BM 59 manufactured by Beretta, (8) Model Assault Rifle manufactured by Bushmaster Firearms, (9) Model SR-88 manufactured by Charter Firearms Industries, (10) Models AR-15 manufactured by Colt, (11) Models MAX-1, MAX-2, K1A1, K2, USAS-12 shotgun manufactured by Daewoo Industries, (12) Models C90, C100, C450 manufactured by DMAX Industries, (13) Model MK-IV carbine manufactured by ENCOM, (14) Models FN-FAL, FN-LAR, FN-FNC manufactured by Fabrique Nationale, (15) Model MAS 223 manufactured by FAMAS, (16) Models AT-9 carbine, AT-22 carbine manufactured by Feather Industries, (17) Models XC-450 AUTO OCARBINE, XC-220, XC-900 manufactured by Federal Engineering Corporation, (18) Models SPAS-12, LAW-12 pump auto shotguns manufactured by Franchi, (19) Model GC HIGH TECH carbine manufactured by Goncz Company, (20) Models HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, PSG-1, G3-SA manufactured by Heckler & Koch, (21) Models UZI-carbine, MINI-UZI carbine, GALIL-ARM, GALIL-AR, GALIL-SAR, GALIL-SNIPER manufactured by Israeli Military Industries, (22) Model PM-30 PARATROOPER manufactured by Iver Johnson, (23) Models AP-74, AP-84, AP-80, AP-85, SPECTRE AUTO carbine manufactured by Mitchell Arms, (24) Models of the Kalashnikov-type semiautomatic, including those manufactured by Norinco (China) and Hungarian Arms, (25) Models NDM-86 SNIPER RIFLE manufactured by Norinco, (26) Model M-14S manufactured by Polytech Industries, (27) Model MINI-14/5F manufactured by Ruger, (28) Models 57-AMT, PE-57, SG550SP, SG551SP manufactured by SIGArms, (29) Model L1A1A manufactured by Small Arms Factory, Australia, (30) Models BM-59, SAR-48, SAR-58, SAR-3, M-1A manufactured by Springfield Armory, (31) Model MK-6 manufactured by Sterling, (32) Model AUG-SA manufactured by Steyer Daimler-Pusch, (33) Models M-76-SA, M-78-SA manufactured by Valmet Corporation, and (34) Model NIGHTHAWK manufactured by Weaver Arms Corporation. Please look in the file library for more information on NYC gun laws.

Funny, I'm not seeing anything to support that officer's statements. Sounds like he's operating on feelings rather than LAW.

The Attorneys' General office in any state that you're traveling would probably be the best place to get answers for specific legal questions.
    Last edited by Don T.; February 24th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

(Lancaster County)

If that was an actual NYPD person telling you "We don't support crime and why would you bring a gun to OUR state" as a response to bringing your Garand, they deserve to be guillotined. Along with their superiors who agree with them.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; February 25th, 2010 at 02:08 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I agree New York needs Help!! If only we can throw the politicians out...sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    If that was an actual NYPD person telling you "We don't support crime and why would you bring a gun to OUR state" as a response to bringing your Garand, they deserve to be guillotined. Along with their superiors who agree with them.
    My jaw just dropped, I wish I had written down the guys name but he was from the "legal bureau"

The one about "what do you think would happen" I believe she was an operator for the NYC police.

Thankfully the gentleman I talked to out to Long Island was really nice, we even had a small political discussion about firearms in New York. He said basically that Bloomberg has just a vendetta against guns in NY and that lucky for him hes guarded by 16 million dollars in machine guns so he doesnt have to worry about his own protection. He said "I think they might fear the M1, thinking you might storm the beachs" to which I replied "yup I'm going to take Jones beach by force"

(Lehigh County)

I spent my life as a child in Brooklyn. I spent 18 years in NJ. Here is my take:

NYC, NJ, Bloomberg, and many of the cops, have a mindset that is warped. My lawyer recently had a friend go into the city, carrying concealed. He was not aware of NYC laws against that. In his travels in Manhattan, he was mugged by two thugs. He held them at gun point and hollared for the police. The police arrived, tackled him, and the two thugs ran off. He was charged with a serious crime, even though it was evident he was beat up. It may cost him thousands of dollars to try to stay out of jail.

These people, the legal system, and most of the police enforcing it rather define an honest person as a criminal, than let him have the ability to defend himself against a huge batch of street walking criminals.

NJ is the same way. Screwed Up. I hope they would all rot in hell.

(Jefferson County)

If Long Island is part of New York City, then you need a permit to possess a rifle there. Except for non-residents in transit who stay less than 24hrs and the gun stays locked up and unloaded. Also for a very few other situations.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/nyc.aspx

POSSESSION -- LONG GUNS

A permit issued by the Firearms Control Section of the Police Department's License Division is required to possess a rifle or shotgun in New York City. The applicant must submit 4 photos taken within 30 days of application, be fingerprinted, and submit 2 affidavits from persons setting forth his good character. The fee for a rifle and shotgun permit and renewal is $55. The permit is valid for 3 years and is subject to automatic renewal, upon sworn application, and without investigation, unless the Police Commissioner has reason to believe that the status of the applicant has changed since the previous application.

It is unlawful for a person to possess a rifle or shotgun unless he is the holder of a permit as well as a certificate of registration, issued by the Firearms Control Section of the Police Department's License Division for each rifle or shotgun. There is no fee for the certificate of registration; the board keeps a file of all current and past holders of permits and certificates of registration.

The following persons may not obtain a permit to possess a rifle or shotgun:

1. Persons under 18

2 . Convicted felons or those convicted of certain misdemeanors unless a certificate of good conduct has been obtained.

3. Persons not of good moral character.

4. Persons who have suffered any mental illness or been confined to any hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness.

5. Persons not now free from any mental disorders, defects or diseases that would impair the ability to safely posses or use a rifle or shotgun.

6. Persons for which just cause exists for the denial of the permit.

No later than 30 days from the submission of the application, unless the police commissioner determines more time is needed for an investigation and then it shall not exceed 60 days, the Commissioner shall issue the permit or shall notify the applicant of the denial of the application and the reason or reasons.

If an application for a permit is denied, the applicant can submit an appeal to the Police Department's License Division. A further appeal can be submitted to the Commanding Officer of the License Division.

Any person holding a valid license to carry a concealed weapon in accordance with the provisions of the New York Penal Law will be issued a shotgun or the rifle permit upon application and payment of the $55 fee.

The following persons may possess rifles and shotguns without a permit or certificate:

1. Persons under 18 when in the actual presence or under the direct supervision of an adult who possess a permit.

2. Persons in military service.

3. Peace officers.

4. Non-residents in transit.

5. Members of an accredited civilian rifle club who were given rifles obtained through the DCM.

6. Members of a rifle team representing an educational institution.

7. Persons transporting rifles and shotguns as merchandise.

8. Persons who possess antique rifles and shotguns, defined as those manufactured prior to 1894 and replicas which are not designed to fire fixed ammunition, or for which fixed ammunition is not commercially available.

9. Inheritance whether by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy, except that the person who receives or acquires said rifle or shotgun is subject to obtaining a permit as well as a certificate of registration. If the heir or legatee of the owner of such a rifle or shotgun does not qualify to possess the rifle or shotgun, the rifle or shotgun may be possessed by the heir or legatee for the purpose of sale for a period not exceeding 180 days or further limited period beyond the 180 days as may be approved by the commissioner, extensions in no event to exceed a total of 90 days.

Any New York City resident acquiring a rifle or shotgun outside the city shall make application for a permit and certificate of registration within 72 hours after bringing such weapon into the city. Pending the issuance of such permit and/or certificate the rifle or shotgun must be deposited at the nearest police precinct.

Non-residents in transit who are carrying rifles and shotguns with them are exempt from the permit and registration requirements provided they remain In New York City for only 24 hours and the rifles and shotguns are at all times unloaded and in a closed case, or in a locked automobile trunk.

Only a rifle or shotgun owner with a permit is allowed to possess ammunition suitable for the registered rifle or shotgun and is allowed to possess an ammunition feeding device for the registered rifle or shotgun, but not to exceed 5 rounds capacity.

CARRYING -- LONG GUNS

It is unlawful for a person to carry a rifle or shotgun on or about his person or in a vehicle without a permit and certificate of registration for such rifle or shotgun. A rifle or shotgun carried in a vehicle must be unloaded and not readily accessible. Rifles and shotguns carried in an automobile trunk need not be cased, but they must be unloaded.

It is unlawful to possess or carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in public. Unloaded shotguns or rifles carried or possessed in public must be completely enclosed or contained in a nontransparent carrying case.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast