Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Model 15 Dan Wesson .357

So I aquired an early 70's dan wesson .357 mag from an older co-worker who needed money for another project. This gun is absolutely perfect. There is not even the smallest scratch to be seen. Its an early model 15 that had the pork chop barrel shrouds, but the barrel nut is recessed. The pork chop shroud was redesigned to the current style when the model designation was changed to 15-2. I bought this gun because I thought I should have a .357 mag. I now question what its worth considering it is in like new condition. Depending on its value I may just throw it in the safe and buy another .357 to mess with. Can anyone help me out on the value? I didnt see any model 15's on gunbroker to get an idea of its value. All I saw were models 15-2's.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Model 15 Dan Wesson .357

Congrats on your new purchase. It's a great gun. Values on these guns stumps me too. I have one probably as nice as yours, paid $300. Great shooter too, smooth and accurate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Susquehanna County)

I have no idea personally. But, I'm sure if you take a look around gunbroker.com, gunsamerica and auctionarms.com you should be able to get a good estimate of its' value. All of the sites have search features so just type in your model and maker and you'll be off & running.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

I don't know when mine was made, but I paid $200 for the pistol, with 6" brl.
    Paid $200 for an 8" brl. and shroud......

(Luzerne County)

I would say $300 to $350 for it. I dont really stick to closely to what it is worth when I look for as new gun. It has more to do with how often I have seen one around. Do I have one? And do I want it? Then I look at the price tag. If it is more then I think it is worth to me I will pass and look at something else.

Do I need it never really comes into the picture.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lancaster County)

Its a shooter, not a safe queen. Have fun with it. They have a very low resale value.

(Indiana County)

Considering what Dan Wesson's sold for new compared to what they bring used, especially Monsoons, I would most definitely not say that they have a low resale value, not in todays market.

I bought a stainless 8" Monson .445 Super Mag in the early 90's for under $650 new in the box, I can guarantee that you will not find a used one like it for under $650 now, and probably more like $900+, NIB ones go for $1200+ all day. Pretty good resale value IMO.

The Palmer made guns gave the entire line a bad name due to early problems at that factory, but now the Monson guns are being appreciated for the fine shooters that they are. There are quite a few collectors starting to snatch up prime examples.

Anyhow, I would figure that an as new Mod 15 would be found for sale with about a $400-$425 asking price if it were in the original box with all papers and tools. Knock off about $50 easily if missing the box, ect...
    Average examples of the 15's are seen with asking prices of $300-$325, but seem to sell for $250-$275.
    I really don't think the pork chop shroud would add much if anything to the value as the popular opinion was that they were ugly.

So unless you have all the goodies that it came with, I would shoot it.
    Last edited by 39flathead; February 24th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Its a shooter, not a safe queen. Have fun with it. They have a very low resale value.
    I don't know about low resale value. I just gave close to $500.00 for a stainless 44mag.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Considering what Dan Wesson's sold for new compared to what they bring used, especially Monsoons, I would most definitely not say that they have a low resale value, not in todays market.

I bought a stainless 8" Monson .445 Super Mag in the early 90's for under $650 new in the box, I can guarantee that you will not find a used one like it for under $650 now, and probably more like $900+, NIB ones go for $1200+ all day. Pretty good resale value IMO.

The Palmer made guns gave the entire line a bad name due to early problems at that factory, but now the Monson guns are being appreciated for the fine shooters that they are. There are quite a few collectors starting to snatch up prime examples.

Anyhow, I would figure that an as new Mod 15 would be found for sale with about a $400-$425 asking price if it were in the original box with all papers and tools. Knock off about $50 easily if missing the box, ect...
    Average examples of the 15's are seen with asking prices of $300-$325, but seem to sell for $250-$275.
    I really don't think the pork chop shroud would add much if anything to the value as the popular opinion was that they were ugly.

So unless you have all the goodies that it came with, I would shoot it.

Very usefull information. I also think the pork chop shroud is ugly. I do have the original box which is also in amazingly good shape. No manual and no tool though. I need to get the tool because the barrel needs tightened. I'll take some pics this weekend and post. I'm not one for just sticking guns in my safe and not shooting them. I just didnt want to shoot it if it was worth $$$$$$. As soon as I get the tool and the snow melts I'll put some rounds through it.

(Berks County)

Here's some pics I took tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (291.7 KB, 13 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (335.8 KB, 19 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (370.9 KB, 18 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (356.4 KB, 19 views)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast