Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Tac Star Side Saddle For Mossberg 500

Picked up one of those Tac Star 6 shell side saddles for my mossberg 500.
    I've done some research and it seems like a quality item, and adds virtually no weight to the shotgun once attached. The shells you load onto it actually weigh more than the side saddle does. So, I tried giving it a quick install before heading to the range the other day, but only had about 30 minutes to do it. Either the directions are fucked up, or I magically forgot how to read.

The directions basically assume you will know what to do, and seem to skip key directions such as step 1: disassemble shotgun. Granted, step one is given, but they follow suit through the rest of the guide.
    Last edited by jcabin; February 24th, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Tac Star Side Saddle For Mossberg 500

I don't have one, but I remember someone posting that the shell holder had to be removed from the mounting bracket because it was on the wrong side. He then remounted the shell holder to the other side of the bracket before mounting it on the receiver. He figured it out because it was the model with the window for the serial number. Good luck!

(Blair County)

True story, you have to remove the "holder" part from the "base" and install the "base" first , then attach the "holder" to the base. At least from what I can remember from putting the one on my 590. PM me if ya need pics
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Monroe County)

J,

I had a side saddle on my old 870, they're great.

Why not go all out and convert it to 8rd if youre going to spend the money?

its only an extra 1.5" in barrel length, although those persuader muzzle brakes are bad ass!

(Westmoreland County)

I've put several hundred rounds downrange with a Tac Star SS on my 500, and it has never budged.

Are these the directions you received...

1. Open the action and lay the shotgun on its
    side with the ejection port facing up.
    2. Remove the 8/32 screw on the opposite
    side of the ejection port.
    3. Replace the screw that you just removed with
    the longer 8/32 screw and tighten.
    4. With the shotgun in the same position, use the supplied 10/32 screw with
    washer to push out pin, located just above the trigger. Leave the screw in the
    hole and turn the shotgun over.
    5. Remove 6 flathead screws from the SideSaddle® to expose the counter-bored
    hole in the mounting plate.
    6. Place the mounting plate on the receiver with the counter-bored hole on the
    8/32 screw and the tapped hole on the 10/32 screw. (Note that there are two
    counter-bored holes. The closest to the muzzle is for the 590DA model. The
    one closer to the butt stock is for the 500 and standard 590 models.) Lightly
    tighten the 10/32 screw. Do not overtighten. Overtightening may lock up the shotgun’s
    action. To remedy, simply loosen screw. Place the supplied nut on the 8/32
    screw and tighten.
    7. Replace the SideSaddle® shell holder onto the mounting plate and tighten
    screws.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    J,

I had a side saddle on my old 870, they're great.

Why not go all out and convert it to 8rd if youre going to spend the money?

its only an extra 1.5" in barrel length, although those persuader muzzle brakes are bad ass!
    I figured it out last night, thanks for the help guys. I didn't realize I had to remove the shell holder from the base plate, thanks for the info BrowningBoy.

Chem, I only have an 18.5 inch barrel. If I get the +1 extension the magazine will be flush with the barrel, giving me 6+1. I don't know if I like the look of the mag tube extending further out than the barrel, though the increased capacity would be nice. I might end up SBS'ing this one down the road and have myself a cheap NFA toy, then buying a 590 or something more combat oriented.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Franklin County)

Everyone has answered. You have to remove the saddle from the baseplate.

On my 870 however. I had to change the foregrip as it was to long and when you cycled it, it would come back and hit the shell holder.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I figured it out last night, thanks for the help guys. I didn't realize I had to remove the shell holder from the base plate, thanks for the info BrowningBoy.

Chem, I only have an 18.5 inch barrel. If I get the +1 extension the magazine will be flush with the barrel, giving me 6+1. I don't know if I like the look of the mag tube extending further out than the barrel, though the increased capacity would be nice. I might end up SBS'ing this one down the road and have myself a cheap NFA toy, then buying a 590 or something more combat oriented.
    sorry I didnt clarify, they make an 8shot mag tube that you would use with a 20" barrel, making the mag tube and barrel the exact same lenght, thats what I meant about an extra 1.5 inches, the barrel as opposed to the one you have now.

(York County)

I got one of these for my 590 and the only thing that threw me was the small nut that goes onto the screw on the other side of the ejection port was either the wrong size or not quite the right threading. So that was a little frustrating, having to track down a small enough nut, luckily I have some RC car/plane/helicopter stuff laying around or I was going to get bent that my new accesory wouldn't fit.

I'm not in love with the fact that the trigger group bolt sticks out about 1/8th past the plate, but other than those two things I have been happy with it. I appears to be a solid piece.
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; February 27th, 2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: spelling
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    I got one of these for my 590 and the only thing that threw me was the small nut that goes onto the screw on the other side of the ejection port was either the wrong size or not quite the right threading. So that was a little frustrating, having to track down a small enough nut, luckily I have some RC car/plane/helicopter stuff laying around or I was going to get bent that my new accesory wouldn't fit.

I'm not in love with the fact that the trigger group bolt sticks out about 1/8th past the plate, but other than those two things I have been happy with it. I appears to be a solid piece.

I like it. Super easy to install. I did have to get a shorter forend for it than the stock wood one (originally a regal slugster).

TacStar 6-shell side-saddle, Choate 02-02-06 short composite forend (does not interfere with the side-saddle), and the SpecOps stock, Mossberg OEM 20" cylinder bore with 3 interchangeable chokes.
    FNX-9 Two-tone