Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default new to handguns and need some help

I'm looking into buying a pistol and so far this is the lift of possibilities I've come up with:

H&K USP
    Wlather P99
    Sig 220 or 226
    Beretta 92fs
    Glock 22c
    S&W M&P 40
    Springfield XD series
    Kimber Crimson Carry series

Out of all of these I've only held and gotten to play with the P99 never shot it though. To be honest the only pistol I've shot is a Glock 17.

But what I'm looking for is some input from people that have owned or used any of the guns I listed. Tell me your stories and experiences with them. And give me some suggestions on guns I may like that I didn't list. I'm not to worried about what caliber I get.

Also I'm a fairly big guy (6'4" 270) so I need a gun that will have a large enough grip to fit my hand comfortably. Also I'm assuming my large build may make it easier for me to conceal the guns I've picked considering they're all the full size models.

I'm planning on using it mainly for concealed carry and home defense use. But I also would like to be able to do targets and maybe even competitions someday. And as far as maitenence goes I would be fairly comfortable with most anything I work as a mechanic so tinkering with things is in my nature.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; February 24th, 2010 at 12:42 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: new to handguns and need some help

The main question is what is the purpose? Target, concealed carry, open carry, home defense, competition?

(Allegheny County)

A lot of Walther types hang out here...

http://www.waltherforums.com/index.php

Lots of good stuff on the P99 there for you to read up on, if you like. I'm still trying to decide between the P99 compact and the PPS for my next handgun.

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 06:34 AM.

(Allegheny County)

First, pick up everything you can. I don't know what gun shops are in your area, but pick up and feel everything. See what is right for your size. My father had his heart set on a Sig stainless target. We got to the shop and he realized the gun was too big for his hand.

See if it points naturally.

Sometimes it's hard to do, but shoot them if you can.

And think about mechanics. If you're not someone who understands and does well with mechanics, go for something simple. If you are ok with machines, worry less and keep guns like the 1911 in the mix.

I'm sure it's a little premature, but take some classes. Make sure whatever you do get, you can use safely and efficiently.

Stop back with more questions.
    Welcome to PAFOA.

(Northumberland County)

Pick what fits in your hand the best , and what you think will feel more comfortable carrying all day and nite, everyone has different hand sizes. I picked the one that fits me the most and is slim for carry concealed IWB.

Picking what seems to fit should be the first cut. I've had a couple "no fits" turn out to be pretty good guns and a couple of fits turn out to be something I don't shoot well. Mostly, if it fits, it shoots well for me.

Do as much live fire with the models you really like as you can. You may find some that do very well for you.

I would also suggest that, as a new shooter, you look into getting a .22 pistol. Great, fun and inexpensive way to learn to shoot. I like Rugers, but any of them work reasonably well. Advantage arms has a pretty good kit to convert a Glock to .22.

(Bucks County)

all the guns you've listed are good guns but as a newbie to handguns my recommendation would be for you to purchase a gun with a manual safety. as others have stated shop around and try to handle all the firearms you're interested in purchasing because some guns will fit your hand better than others. if you can go to a range that rents the guns you're looking to purchase that would be your best bet to get a good feel for each gun.

so far as concealed carry is concerned the pistols you're looking at are all fullsize handguns and will be hard but not impossible to conceal. appropriate clothing and the corrrect holster can allow you to carry almost anything. any of the guns you mentioned are OK for HD and range use. last but not least as a beginner i would recommend you take a beginners firearms class.

(Warren County)

Smile Re: new to handguns and need some help

I've owned a P99AS in 40 cal and I currently use the PPS as my carry piece (9mm version). Both are very good guns, the P99AS has one of the smoothest trigger pulls of any gun I've ever shot. Haven't shot a Beretta since I retired out of the Air Foce, nice guns but a little heavy on the trigger pull. I've just picked up an XDM in 40 call that shoots really nicely. Can't go wrong with either of them in my opinion. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Malinki View Post
    A lot of Walther types hang out here...

http://www.waltherforums.com/index.php

Lots of good stuff on the P99 there for you to read up on, if you like. I'm still trying to decide between the P99 compact and the PPS for my next handgun.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Montgomery County)

Hi and welcome.
    All the major points have been covered - main purpose of the gun, fit in your hand, try them out first, learn all you can - so I'll just drop in my 3 favorite words: re vol ver

Good luck!

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast