Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default New to PA, Looking to Hunt/Shoot in Tioga County

I am new to Tioga. Living in Wellsboro/Mansfield at the moment.

I am searching for a place to hunt, and a good 500-1000 YARD gun range.

Currently I am a member of "Lambs Creek Sportsman's Club" They have a 250 Yard range, but I think I am outgrowing it. Been using my .22 there most of the time.

I am also interested in finding somewhere to White Tail hunt this Fall.

If we get enough people from this area, we should get together and do something. Anyone who wants to come play gets to shoot my .50bmg and/or my .338 Norma semi autos.... Or my .22lr, your choice :P

(Tioga County)

Default Re: New to PA, Looking to Hunt/Shoot in Tioga County

You should come over to Elkland and see our range here. It's set up for 300 yards and altough the building is under remodeling (when the weather gets nice) we have 6 outside cement benches and if you become a member you'll have access to 6 inside benches as well. Dues are $15 a year running from Oct. 1 to Sept.31. We usually have a chicken barbeque at the end of Sept. so you can have a good feed and renew your membership at the same time. On Friday nights they have a .22 shoot with one week being sporters and the next week heavies. Maybe we can hookup and I can show you around.

(Tioga County)

That sounds great!

I was just there last week. I ran up to "Ackley & Sons" To get my new Savage 116FCSSS .270 Accustock/Accutrigger/Stainless Steel.... Nice gun. A bit expensive, but you got to love the technology factory guns have these days.

The .22 shoot sounds fun, I haven't taken the Ruger 10/22 out of the safe for quite a while.

One question. do they allow the use of .50 BMG or .338 Excalibur? They won't let us use them here due to the fact that they puch holes through the aluminum alloy plates they have at 200 and 250 yards.

(Tioga County)

As range officer and after talking to the president about this we don't see a problem with you shooting what you want as long as that you're aware the the New York/Pa. line is about 40 yards behind the 300 yard target butt. If you plan on shooting during the day before 2:00 p.m. just let me know and most likely I can meet you there and show you around a little bit.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    As range officer and after talking to the president about this we don't see a problem with you shooting what you want as long as that you're aware the the New York/Pa. line is about 40 yards behind the 300 yard target butt. If you plan on shooting during the day before 2:00 p.m. just let me know and most likely I can meet you there and show you around a little bit.
    Sounds good! I plan to go to Ackley & Sons next weekend to pick up a pistol. I will email you soon.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    . . . the the New York/Pa. line is about 40 yards behind the 300 yard target butt.
    It there a law prohibiting shoot across state borders? Could it be considered an act of war between sovereign states?

(Tioga County)

With NY you can never tell. I was just letting the OP know that we are that close to the border. This way if they are wandering around at the target butt they will know that if they're carrying any handguns not to be wandering to far past the butts.

(Montgomery County)

Anyone coyote hunting up their? I hear in Blossburg, Arnot area coyotes are a problem...eating the doe. Any truth to this?

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaNovice-hunter View Post
    Anyone coyote hunting up their? I hear in Blossburg, Arnot area coyotes are a problem...eating the doe. Any truth to this?
    I live in bloss, and we 4x4 alot around here. I personally have seen one about two weeks ago on our night out. And i had a bear in my back yard 10/15/10!! I live in town...

(Tioga County)

Just last week I was sighting in a new rifle and while making adjustments to the scope I watched a bobcat run across the range at about 225 yards. It didn't waste any time getting across there either. Others have seen coyotes and bear on the range also.