Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: What should I get as my new carry piece?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smith & Wesson M&P - 40S&W Compact

17 18.09%
  • Smith & Wesson M&P - 9mm Compact

21 22.34%
  • Ruger SR9 Compact

13 13.83%
  • Glock 26

31 32.98%
  • Glock 27

15 15.96%
  • Taurus Mil Pro PT111

4 4.26%
  • Taurus Mil Pro PT140

4 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need idea's for a new carry piece...

My choice would be the M&P9c. I have 2 M&Ps in my carry battery, and full-size 9 and a compact 9. Both have been flawless, with excellent ergonomics and good capacity for the size. With the compact, I can also run the full-sized magazines in a pinch.

Personally, I don't think .40 offers you much of an improvement over 9mm with respect to terminal ballistics. You gain more recoil, more expensive ammo and lower capacity.

Glocks would be another good choice, but I am not a fan of their ergonomics. The finger grooves don't work for me, and the whole gun seems blockier. If they work for you, go for it.

I think the Ruger SR9c is too new, and Ruger has had some issues with their products lately. I'd rather not be a beta tester for a gun I may depend on to save my life.

As for the Taurus products, I'd steer away from them. They have a less-than-stellar reputation for quality and customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    First off, I wanna thank everyone for their input! I really appreciate it.

I have a question for all the people who have voted for, and own, the M&P9c or M&P40c. What is the difference between the "Internal Lock" & "Magazine Lock"? I've heard that the Mag Lock won't let you fire the gun if there is a round in the chamber. True or false? And, I've heard that the Internal Lock has something to do with the trigger. True or false? Which one do you prefer?

Thanks in advance.
    I prefer no locks of any kind in my firearms, and that's how my M&Ps are set up. I'm not a fan of adding complexity for the false sense of "safety". All my guns are stored in a safe when they are not in use, so a lock would be redundant. The Internal lock is activated/deactivated by a key. Here is what it looks like from the outside:http://img509.imageshack.us/i/mplockdetailsd7.jpg/

I can see the virtue of a mag safety in certain contexts, like police work (I suspect that mag safeties may even be mandated by certain law enforcement agencies). There have been documented incidents where the mag safety likely saved a police officer's life. I'm not a LEO, and I don't daily interact at close quarters with violent felons, so I don't think it applies as much to me.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Need idea's for a new carry piece...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    I believe the M&P's are like that but not sure.
    Not all M&Ps have the magazine disconnect, they have models in all calibers and sizes with and without it. I have an M&P9 full size that does NOT have the magazine disconnect. IMHO, it's not a feature, it's a paranoid "safety mechanism" to appease some state's laws, and some police depts. that see guns more as a unfortunate necessity than a valuable tool.

This is a pic of my M&P9 full-size, and you can see that my gun does not have the magazine disconnect, as there's a warning on the slide which says "CAUTION: CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED":

It's not on your list, but I will always recommend the piece I carry almost every day, which is the Kahr MK9. Solid, can shoot +p out of it all day, small enough to carry in a front jeans pocket, and IMHO the best out-of-box trigger pull of any DAO pistol I've ever shot. See my pics thread for more info, if you're interested:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/166...-kahr-mk9.html
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567