Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag

Over the next year i am gonna be saving up for a new Turkey gun i just got into turkey hunting although i have been hunting for like nine years or so since i was twelve. so i am not new to shotguns or hunting but am thinking about a Mossberg 835 the ulti mag grand slam turkey series. any opinions? its a 20 inch barrel and 3 1/2 in chamber.

I want a regular straight grip and a barrel of 24 or 20 inches any other suggestions maybe i like the price a feel of the mossberg, but i am up for any other suggestions?

(Blair County)

Default Re: Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag

I owned one for five or so years, I really tried to like it but could not. Safety failed to work after the first year could not slide forward or back, just locked up. Had it fixed twice. Camo finish took a beating was primarily beige when I sold it. Porting is really hard on your ears, remember that.

If you are going to kill a few turkeys a year it will probably be ok. Day in day out waterfowling, canoe paddling, hammering, laying in mud or snow, I'd pass. Mine took an ass kicking for what I did with it.

I prefer used Browning 10 gauges these days with looooong bbl's. Built for the rigors of waterfowling and long distance turkeys. Used are bringing 350 to 400 bucks in good shape. I'm not a fan of Remington at all, however I would look at the 870 special purpose over the Mossy.

Good luck and remember your owl hooter.
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post
    I owned one for five or so years, I really tried to like it but could not. Safety failed to work after the first year could not slide forward or back, just locked up. Had it fixed twice. Camo finish took a beating was primarily beige when I sold it. Porting is really hard on your ears, remember that.

If you are going to kill a few turkeys a year it will probably be ok. Day in day out waterfowling, canoe paddling, hammering, laying in mud or snow, I'd pass. Mine took an ass kicking for what I did with it.

I prefer used Browning 10 gauges these days with looooong bbl's. Built for the rigors of waterfowling and long distance turkeys. Used are bringing 350 to 400 bucks in good shape. I'm not a fan of Remington at all, however I would look at the 870 special purpose over the Mossy.

Good luck and remember your owl hooter.
    i would go 10 guage i just dont think for only turkey and maybe do some small game i do not do waterfowl but if i did i would use my stoeger i will keep the browning in mind. do they make a Nice Turkey model?

(Venango County)

I like mine, it patterns pretty good at range,
    Barrel is a bit short for other types of shooting, IE skeet, trap, and other bird hunting, it doesn't swing very well, but the back boring, porting, and EXTRA full choke make it a pretty hard hitting turkey gun

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Berks County)

I had an 835 for about 10 years and found it to be very reliable and flawless gun and I wish I still had it. I would not hesitate to own another 835, it was a very fine possesion.

Today, I would probably choose a 535 for it's abbility to also shoot 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 and I'm sure I would be satisfied. I've only found the need to contact Mossberg once but could not believe how good their suport was.

(Lancaster County)

I had one for a season and the one thing I can say with 100% certainty is OUCH! 3 1/2 inch turkey loads HURT LIKE HELL.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Westmoreland County)

Ive had mine for about 5 years and never had a problem with it.

(Schuylkill County)

I just bought a used one about a year ago, so I can't really say exactly. I always use my 870 for trap, and my 20ga for small game... so I haven't used it a lot. I mainly got it for turkey and for an extra gun for when I take a buddy trap shooting and they happen to not have one. I may use it a little more this year, I don't know... I'm thinking about selling it... but if I do, I will probably then regret I don't have it anymore lol

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    I had an 835 for about 10 years and found it to be very reliable and flawless gun and I wish I still had it. I would not hesitate to own another 835, it was a very fine possesion.
    Want to buy mine???

III%

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post

Today, I would probably choose a 535 for it's abbility to also shoot 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 and I'm sure I would be satisfied. I've only found the need to contact Mossberg once but could not believe how good their suport was.
    Huh? My owner's manual said 2 3/4 to 3 1/2.....

ETA..Boy they have changed the 835 mine was like the second year they made them, just a cheapo camo job, not a name brand, I think it only has a 20" barrel, the new ones are 24.....biggest bitch I have is my eyes suck, so I bought a 1.5 to 4 power scope for turkeys, and when I looked at getting a Slug Barrel, it has an extended tang over the receiver to mount the scope to, which is better for accuracy for the slugss, but means removing the scope and mounts from the receiver when installing it.....
    Last edited by markheck1; February 24th, 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Delaware County)

I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Grand Slam Turkey Series 20" bbl with X-Factor ported choke tube. Mine is in the Mossy-Oak New Break Up pattern. The fiber optic sights are great. The 20" barrel really takes away from the weight that 835s are known for. Mine patterns very well and I have taken several turkeys with it. I would have to say that the recoil is definately not as bad as everyone says from the 3.5" turkey loads. It is however very loud. If you have handled one then you already know that you want this shotgun. If you haven't then I am telling you that you want this shotgun. Also you can buy a 28" standard barrel quite cheap if you look around the net for a used one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast