Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default is .22 mag a worthy round

Just out of curiosity, is .22 mag a worthy round for carrying in a small package. I am talking about a NAA mini revolver in .22 mag. now i carry my glock 19 90% of the time. But there is that other 10% where it is tough. I have been questioning the idea of a gun the size of a long pocket knife. and the caliber im looking at is .22 mag....is that round not worth my time?

not to mention it looks like a fun gun!

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: is .22 mag a worthy round

you are gonna get a metric ton of stuff told to you about this but i know a few guys who carry the NAA in 22 mag and am actually considering one myself.

here is my opinion and it is just that my opinion so take at as you want i am no expert.

yes it is a worthy round my experience is seeing my buddy and his dad shoot a ground hog with one with hollow points at like three feet after it had been wounded with a 22 lr. It blew the head apart this was enough for me. I find it worthy also remember this if you can't carry your glock and your are carrying no gun the 22 mag is much better option than no firearm at all?

As for the particular gun like i said i have actually shot like four of them a lot and they are very reliable not so accurate after about a foot but good enough for close and you can always use it to fight your way to another gun.

so thats what i think just an opinion like i said i am no expert i would really like to see other opinions.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: is .22 mag a worthy round

A gunshot is going to hurt regardless of the caliber. A few well placed .22 mag shots to the face/chest area can definately be life threatening

(Northumberland County)

Granted my experience with the .22 mag is only with rifles, but it's sort of an unnecessary round IMO. It does offer more power than the typical .22 LR, but at a significant cost. Cheap ammo runs $8+ for 50 rounds, while the better stuff easily hits $12 a box. Especially since some of the faster 22 LRs are moving at nearly the same speed, I'd say avoid the 22 mag and get 1) a 22 LR and good ammo if you want a rimfire or 2) a centerfire pistol. That's just my take though.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Yes, it is a "worthy" round. As the other posters said, it is significant. But for just a slight more bulk, and probably no more weight, you may do well to consider the Ketec P3AT or the Ruger LCP. You can put some really spiffy JHP's in those and deliver far more accuracy as well.

Just my .02

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

I saw online tests with ballistic gel and was surprised at the power of this round. Penetrated 14" and started tumbling after 2 or 3"

I have the NAA mini revolver with holster/grip. Posted a review. (see the sticky under gun pictures)

Accuracy is also surprising. I was making 2.5" groups at 5yds pretty consistently. The problem is the sights, it was shooting very low.
    I ground down the front sight and it's now very close to point of aim.

It may not be the perfect defense choice but at least I always have it with me. And the "bang" will definitely get your attention.
    Last edited by RickD; February 22nd, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Granted my experience with the .22 mag is only with rifles, but it's sort of an unnecessary round IMO. It does offer more power than the typical .22 LR, but at a significant cost. Cheap ammo runs $8+ for 50 rounds, while the better stuff easily hits $12 a box. Especially since some of the faster 22 LRs are moving at nearly the same speed, I'd say avoid the 22 mag and get 1) a 22 LR and good ammo if you want a rimfire or 2) a centerfire pistol. That's just my take though.
    I was thinking about this as well...and I go fishing alot and have been well within striking distance of 2 copperheads over the years. Scared the death out of me those things are so small! Anyways i figure if I did get a NAA in .22lr walmart always sells snake/bird shot for it in that caliber which is great. You may have sold me on the .22 lr. In a SD situation this would only be a belly gun anyways. And of course a NAA could have its fun days at the range

In such a small package the extra velocity of the magnum is well worth it over standard 22lr.

36 gr CCI mini mags average around 700 fps, out of the 1 1/8"barrel, whereas 30 gr CCI maxi mag +Vs run around 1050fps.

I have an 1 1/8" barreled NAA in 22 mag. It has accompanied me on many days.
    Last edited by Lucas; February 22nd, 2010 at 10:40 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    In such a small package the extra velocity of the magnum is well worth it over standard 22lr.

36 gr CCI mini mags average around 700 fps, out of the 1 1/8"barrel, whereas 30 gr CCI maxi mag +Vs run around 1050fps.

I have an 1 1/8" barreled NAA in 22 mag. It has accompanied me on many days.
    Lucas does yours have just the solid wood grips or the plastic holster? How is it to shoot?

The gun isn't bad to shoot at all. Short range as to be expected from such a small package without real sights. "Recoil" is really nonexistent, the muzzle tries to flip, but there is no real power behind it. I've shot "minute of pie plate" at 10 feet, but haven't ever really tried to see just how accurate it is.

I carry mine as a BUG or when even the p3at feels like too much. It rides in a small leather holster I made, rather crudely, with a belt clip. works good IWB, or tucked in a boot.
    Last edited by Lucas; February 23rd, 2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast