Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Anyone a member of the Dormont- Mt Lebo gun club?

I did a search for this club and it only brought up 4 threads, and from what I read it was only mentioned in those threads. I didn't read any where it said someone was/is a member. Anyways, I am going to the new member meeting Thursday Feb 25 and just wondered if any else here is a memeber or has anything good or bad to say about the club.

I have looked at the coroapolis sportsmen club and the library gun club, but this one seems to be the best for me and my daughter (she shoots bow).

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anyone a member of the Dormont- Mt Lebo gun club?

I'm a member.

Good:
    - Nice ranges
    - Has indoor range
    - Can sign in people as many times as you want and with no fee
    - Can sign in more than one person at a time
    - Never has been overly crowded
    - Rifle ranges go out to 200 yards
    - It's close enough that I can go there and shoot during my lunch break

Bad:
    - Can't run the range hot
    - Can't shoot from the holster
    - Can't use steel targets
    - Can only move and shoot at the "plinking" range
    - Rifle ranges go out to 200 yards

For general shooting it's a GREAT range. If your trying to practice dynamic or defensive style shooting, it's not that great.
    Last edited by mojo; February 23rd, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added one more good thing
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

I'm not a member there but I do shoot matches there. The range facilities are very nice. I'll add two bads though

1. The indoor range is open only for matches
    2. During the summer months the outdoor range is only open one Saturday a month.
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    I'm not a member there but I do shoot matches there. The range facilities are very nice. I'll add two bads though

1. The indoor range is open only for matches
    2. During the summer months the outdoor range is only open one Saturday a month.
    Thought I should clear a few things up.

1. It's open to the membership Wed. from like noon to 3 pm, and for 3 hours on Sunday.
    2. Not sure where this one came from, unless it is starting this year. There are 3 outdoor ranges (1 pistol, 2 rifles). I know that I've been there a number of times on Saturday and didn't have any problems.

I know one Sunday a month they do CMP, so one of the rifle ranges are closed until around 2pm. I can promise you that if the range was closed every Saturday expect for one a month, I would not be member.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Dormont Mt Lebo Website

From the Calender on the website starting in May. 1st Saturday is NRA High Power match all upper ranges closed, third Saturday is work day all ranges closed, and 4th Saturday is Pistol and Cowboy Silhouette all upper ranges closed. It was the same way last year May through September.

Also from the website under the page Range Rules, section G, item 1:

"The indoor range is not available for individual use. It is for scheduled club activities and always under the control of an on-site range officer

Mojo, please don't think I am knocking the club. I enjoy it very much and think it is a fine club and the members I know are upstanding as well. I considered joining and may yet but those items gave me pause.
    Last edited by 41 Redhawk; February 23rd, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

I emailed them a couple years ago and the response I got was that I could join and maybe change the minds of some of the "elders" into allowing what the responder referred to as "holster play".

The "holster play" remark referenced my presentations from a holster to practice self defense drills.
    Evidently it is a nice place to "plink" but they will have nothing to do with any type of training atmosphere. I didn't even get to asking if there were mag limits.

Damn shame too as it's not too far from me.

27hand

(Washington County)

Thanks for responding guys. I will be mostly using the ranges for general shooting, sighting in before hunting season and just to get out there and relax at the range.

Also, my Uncle was a memeber for years and years until he passed a few years back. It's where he took me for my hunters safety course back in '84.

Hope to get to know you mojo and even you too 41 redhawk.
    Last edited by fragmag; February 23rd, 2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: My spelling stinks!

GLad you posted this. I was actually thinking about posting a similar thread. my father was a member there and took me when i was little. my wife and i recently moved further south and the range i currently go to is further then this one. I was planning to become a member closer to summer because the range i am currently a member at expires in june. plus this range is pretty relaxed compared to my current one

i hesitate to put the name of my current club because i dont want to bad mouth them. do i need sponsorship at Dormont-lebo club? or do i just have to attend a members meet?

any help is appriciated.

OP, if you have any questions about my current range i'd be open to a pm.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    Dormont Mt Lebo Website

From the Calender on the website starting in May. 1st Saturday is NRA High Power match all upper ranges closed, third Saturday is work day all ranges closed, and 4th Saturday is Pistol and Cowboy Silhouette all upper ranges closed. It was the same way last year May through September.

Also from the website under the page Range Rules, section G, item 1:

"The indoor range is not available for individual use. It is for scheduled club activities and always under the control of an on-site range officer

Mojo, please don't think I am knocking the club. I enjoy it very much and think it is a fine club and the members I know are upstanding as well. I considered joining and may yet but those items gave me pause.
    You kind of correct on the indoor ... it's not just open for general use. If you look on the calendar on Wed. and Sun you will notice 12:30pm Open Pistol and 12:30 - 3:00 Indoor Pistol. That is open pistol to any member to shoot any pistol caliber gun. I shoot indoor during my lunch break at work .

Also notice that on March 18th, it's the final day for open pistol in the indoor range until like November.

I don't thin that your knocking the club at all. I just want to make sure that the correct info is out there.

I must be missing where the other stuff is about Saturday. I didn't see it. If the ranges are closed all day for every Saturday except for one, I'm going to be very upset. I do know that one work party days, they usually open up the ranges around 2:30pm.

I might have to make a few phone calls. Thanks for the heads up if it's true.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
    i hesitate to put the name of my current club because i dont want to bad mouth them. do i need sponsorship at Dormont-lebo club? or do i just have to attend a members meet?
    The form says you need it but you really don't. Go to the membership meeting and just ask someone there to sign it for you and they will. Just ask nice and talk to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast