Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Does Delco sheriff still want to call your boss?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    I renewed mine last month. No calls to my place of work. Neither of the references I listed called me to tell me they got a call, but that doesn't mean that the sheriffs office didn't call them either.

In the past, they would ask your references if they knew you and if they would be uncomfortable with you carrying a firearm.
    I'm OK with the references getting asked that question, but in today's work climate, especially asking the "carrying a firearm" question to a HR rep or supervisor in a big corp, could cost someone a job.

They should know better. If its done in spite, to hassle applicants, Sheriff McGinn needs to be replaced next election.

I think this has been discussed before, but wouldn't the sheriff disclosing to references that a person is applying for a LTCF violate this part of the UFA (found here)?

(i) Confidentiality.-- All information provided by the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant, including, but not limited to, the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant's name or identity, furnished by a potential purchaser or transferee under this section or any applicant for a license to carry a firearm as provided by section 6109 shall be confidential and not subject to public disclosure.

In addition to any other sanction or penalty imposed by this chapter, any person, licensed dealer, State or local governmental agency or department that violates this subsection shall be liable in civil damages in the amount of $1,000 per occurrence or three times the actual damages incurred as a result of the violation, whichever is greater, as well as reasonable attorney fees.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; September 2nd, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I think this has been discussed before, but wouldn't the sheriff disclosing to references that a person is applying for a LTCF violate this part of the UFA (found here)?
    Well that settles it, I'm getting my LTCF. If I get fired because the sheriff disclosed to my employer that I applied for a permit to carry, I can always sue.

Quote Originally Posted by theyoungone View Post
    Well that settles it, I'm getting my LTCF. If I get fired because the sheriff disclosed to my employer that I applied for a permit to carry, I can always sue.
    You wouldn't even need to be fired... if you find out that he told your employer that you're applying for a LTCF or gun permit or whatever that sheriff calls it ( )...he has violated the law...in my non-lawyer type opinion.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    You wouldn't even need to be fired... if you find out that he told your employer that you're applying for a LTCF or gun permit or whatever that sheriff calls it ( )...he has violated the law...in my non-lawyer type opinion.
    Tell that to the sheriff, I know for a fact he told my boss the first time I applied and time I renewed.

(Delaware County)

Unfortunately Sheriff McGinn was elected just last year. However he will not be reelected if this attitude and borderline illegal activity continues. McGinn is a Republican, he should be pro RKBA.

If your a Delco resident and are registered Republican, I would call your the delco republican party office to complain.

http://www.delcogop.org/contactus.html

Both McGinn and his Democrat challenger have no law enforcement experience. They are career politicians, that could easily be replaced come next election with a independent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12