Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Montgomery County)

Default Colt wheel gun guys

Why are the colt python and annaconda so expensive?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Colt wheel gun guys

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Why are the colt python and annaconda so expensive?

The python is a hand built, fitted revolver, plus it's a Colt. They are the Rolex of revolvers. The anacondas I'm not sure why, but probably because they are Colts.

(Chester County)

They are not made anymore, but are still desirable. They are well made quality weapons. In the 1980's the Python was a status symbol in the law enforcement community. The same holds true for the Anaconda. In that it is a quality weapon that in not made anymore. Supply and demand.

(Allegheny County)

The guns are timeless classics in limited supply. Heck, Python triggers are a work of art by themselves.

(Blair County)

Colt made real nice revolvers, and they arent available any longer. I wish I still had my King Cobra. never seen or felt a trigger like that again.

(Perry County)

As a S&W fan let me look at this with cold, unemotional logic. Supply and demand. The Colts are not made anymore, they are of a bygone era, that many look back on as in many ways better than our current one. The Colts were old designs (the S&Ws are to) built to standards that one rarely sees today. The finish and bluing could be truly spectacular. Therefore many people want them, and these tend to be people old and financially secure enough to pay for what they want. As mentioned above they aren't made anymore. So we have a significant, well heeled demand chasing a dwindling supply, prices will rise.

If youi are one of those people that can't be happy without this memento of a cherished past, by all means buy one or more. However, if you want a fine revolver, to shoot, hunt, compete in IDPA, ICORE, etc. get a Smith. It was harder to find a competent Smith for the Colts back in the day, it is getting even harder. Parts are even more difficult, and the Colts are not the most robust design. All of this means nothing to the person who wants one because of any number of nostalgic reasons. Similarly I just had to get a Triumph TR6 because I had wanted one for 40 years, what a disappointing car.

The Colt v S&W thing will always be a point of contention and it is a sad thing that Colt revolvers are not being made but that is definitely not because they were inferior. I have owned a lot of each of them and still do.

I like S&W revolvers and I shoot them a lot. As much as I do like S&W they are not up to the level of Colt. Even custom action jobs on Smiths don't get them shooting as smooth as a Python. I have had several model 29 variants (and still do), as well as 19's, 66's, 686's and 57's. I liked them all but not as much as a Python which I have also owned several.

The Anaconda is every bit as good as any 29 but not as smooth as a Python.

I have never had any issue with any of them except for my first model 19 which would come loose with heavy loads.

For you Ruger guys, I will also say that I have owned a Redhawk, a Super Redhawk and a GP100, all of which have been sold. They were ok but sorry that's as far as I am willing to go. I do love the Ruger .22 MK pistols though.

It is funny that this discussion even went off course to 1911's and AR Rifles, which seemed to get better comments than the Python which is strange to me. I have had a couple of Gold Cups and Gov't models which were all fine but with the huge number of companies now making 1911's and customizing them I don't see then as that special any more. And Colt AR rifles have never been impressive in any way. I had an FFL in the 1980's and was buying a lot of AR's for people and there were a lot of competitors putting out better shooters just as there are today. Colt AR's would be fairly low on my list these days.

This is my current stock of revolvers, and I like each for various reasons..
    Last edited by vjb.knife; June 22nd, 2010 at 11:22 PM.