Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Safe to carry one in chamber on Double Action Decocked?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 98.61%
  • No

1 1.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    meanbeangreen Guest

Smile CCW SELECTION HELP PLEASE!!

Well it's been some time but I have the gun buying itch again. I am currently looking for a compact handgun that would be good for concealed carry. I currently carry, when I do, a PPK/S, which I even being a huge fan of this gun do believe it to be a little underpowered.

I've been doing loads of research and frequent trips to the local shops fondling different options. After all this research, I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.

-Walther P99C/SW99C
    -SW M&PC
    -XD Sub

My problem with selecting this firearm has been when I started this search, I knew I wanted a sub-compact with a manual safety, however after actually embarking on this search I realized how few "major round calibers" actually have an external safety. Before I begin to ask this next question, I am well aware of the 4 golden rules of gun safety as I am not a novice, just as I understand that "the best safety is the one in between the ears." However, I still feel slightly uncomfortable carrying IWB with one in the chamber without any kind of safety (such as the Walther). I've read some good stuff on this forum as to what others think, but would again like to raise this debate under the context of these 3 firearms.

I am leaning towards the Walther as
    1. I'm a walther fan
    2. The ergos are phenomenal
    3. I actually prefer the mag release
    4. It's good enough for James Bond
    5. It has the AS trigger which functions essentially like a DA/SA gun like my PPK/S or my Model 19 .357

My big question is. Is carrying Double Action De-cocked Safe? Is this thing going to go off if, God Forbid, an errant piece of clothing hits the trigger?

The SW M&P has the thumb safety option which elimanates the need for my worry about the light trigger pull, and it carries 2 more rounds in either .40 or 9. However it's mostly a rip-off design of the Walther combined with their ill-fated sigma series. It's not bad but not my 1st choice.

The XD has a lot of nice features, grip safety and trigger safety like glock. But again, with such a light trigger pull any gun that has a saf-t-trigger to me isn't that safe. Anything touches the trigger including clothing renders that safety worthless and as I brought up to my friend, who carries the XD iwb, at any given moment his grip safety is probably off/compressed.

Well to boil down what I'd like to know

-Is the Walther a good gun for CC
    -Is a Double Action pull safe enough without any safeties
    -And finally with out raising too much of a debate, 9mm or .40, I'm leaning towards the 9 because in a sub-compact controlability with a .40 is an issue and modern 9 ammo is essentially as good as .40. It is only 1mm difference and you get more rounds, and is more readily available when the Zombie Apocalypse comes.

P.S. I suppose I also consider the Glock 26/27 although I've never been swept up in Glock Fever, plus with the Glock you really have foregone any safety. Super light pull and only saf-t-trigger.

Default Re: CCW SELECTION HELP PLEASE!!

Call me psychic, but I believe your poll will end up with well over 95% of the people saying "Yes."
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(York County)

In a DA/SA, the trigger pull in DA mode is both heavier and longer than the second shot will be. No problems, I do it all the time. If it's in a holster, the trigger will be covered anyway!

(Monroe County)

The gun will definitely be safe to carry chambered, question is are you safe to carry the gun?

Is Walther a good CCW weapon?
    Only you can answer this. Are you able to make accurate hits quickly with it and conceal it in a manner that you will always carry it? If yes then it sounds like a perfect gun.

9mm or 40?
    It's all up to you. I personally go with a 9mm because I make the most accurate and fastest follow up shots with it. It's ammo is cheap allowing me more practice than if I shot a .45 or .40 and am confident with modern Law Enforcement line of hollow points that if I place my shot right then their will be no worries. Love my 1911 but for a defensive handgun 9mm is fine for me.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; February 22nd, 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling

(Allegheny County)

I started carrying with a Sigma, and found the 7lb trigger pull comforting because I worried about the lack of a mechanical safety as well. Since then I went to an M&P, which is a truly sweet carry piece, and no longer worry in the slightest about the lack of manual safety.

I'm actually thinking about switching to a 1911, but ironically I'm more nervous about carrying that in condition 1 than I am carrying my M&P with one in the pipe.

(Westmoreland County)

You're not a novice, so you know the pistol isn't going to discharge on it's own. Feeling slightly uncomfortable while carrying IWB with one in the chamber is not an issue of safety, you just don't feel comfortable doing that just yet. You will get used to it. Practice carrying it without a round chambered. You will feel confident in no time.

I prefer 9mm over .40. For me, rapid follow-up shots with a 9mm are slightly quicker and more accurate than with a .40.

You are a Walther fan, and are familiar with that platform, so I would go Walther if I were you.

Hokkmike Guest

Consider the Walther PPS!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Call me psychic, but I believe your poll will end up with well over 95% of the people saying "Yes."
    so...you are assuming 5% of the respondents are going to be morons?
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    so...you are assuming 5% of the respondents are going to be morons?
    Yes sir! And compared to the rest of the internet I'm giving the people here at PAFOA a lot of credit .
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Bucks County)

I like the G27 for CCing. I like the fact that the G27 gives you so many options with it. You can covert the G27 to fire 9mm or 357sig fairly cheap and the gun is very accurate. Remember if you go with the 9mm you can't convert up but if you go with the 40 you can convert down.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast