Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: SHTF rifle options:

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • AK is all you need, begin stockpile phase!

103 45.37%
  • Get something bigger but don't break the bank, maybe a Mosin and a couple spam cans.

13 5.73%
  • You need precision: .308 bolt or similar and good glass.

21 9.25%
  • Get a proper fucking battle rifle already!! Garand, FAL, M14, etc. Make it sturdy and semi.

90 39.65%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: SHTF rifle poll.......... again.

Always carry two... Of anything you remotely think you'll need.

This includes:
    -Rifles [Assault or otherwise]
    -Pistols
    -Canteens [Full]
    -MRE's or some type of food
    -Full mags for each gun
    -Radios/Walkies-Talkies/Two-way anythings and spare batteries

And a First Aid kit, Spare parts for your weapons [Bolts/Firing pins/Trigger groups], and a flashlight. If you really want to get sneaky... Get a $100 Night-vision Mono instead of the light.

My personal load-out is:
    -Bushmaster M-4 5.56 for general Zombie/Thug/Pest control.
    -Browning A-bolt 300 Win. Mag. with precision handloads [Lots of 'em] for some serious ballistic armor-piercing hate.
    -H&K USP .45 Full-size with more handloads for when they're TOO DAMN CLOSE.
    -Colt Trooper Mk. 3 .38/.357 for accurate squirrel suppression.
    Last edited by A_Wrench; September 8th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
    Political Correctness is the idea that you can pick up a Turd by the Clean End.

(Lycoming County)

Not to be rude but where do all the people that are bugging out bugging out too ? Do you think all the people in rural PA are going to welcome you with open arms and say " come hunt on my land and have some of my food and bullets " ?
    Especially when every suburbanite with a 12ga and every city dweller with a Glock pours out of dodge with only a small supply of food there is going to be problems. Those people are sadly probably going to be the ones who get shot at 500 yards by some good old boy with a 30-06.
    Just saying .
    'Well, he shoulda armed himself,''~ Clint Eastwood Unforgiven

(Lehigh County)

I would go for a full size battle rifle (I'd love to get my hands on a scout/squad M1A). The way I look at it with a rifle like that you can cover medium to medium/long range, the .308 round would be suitable for 50 yds to 700 (I say fifty because using iron sights at short range on the M1A isn't really ideal). If you really needed to clear houses or buildings you could use a sidearm as long as your very comfortable and proficient. I understand clearing a house with a pistol would not be ideal but neither would carrying a 5.11 brand hitch on your ass with 15 guns of all calibers. Get a good pack, extra ammo and extra magazines, and most importantly your attitude to survive. (And kick some serious ass if need be!)

All that stuff aside, by far the most important aspect is to think ahead and prepare to carry out your essential everyday activities without the modern luxuries we are used to. How are you going to get water and food for yourself and family. The BI vs BO debate, if BO where are you going? Do you have enough fuel to get there and are you SURE there is clean water, food and a place to put everyone up. Thanks for reading my opinion.
    Last edited by cpoth; September 10th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Not an AK fan. But, for your purposes, sounds fine. Is there a spot on the frame to put a scope-mount and some glass in that? Maybe invest in that instead of another gun for whatever longer-range shots you may ever need. I am a shotgun fan, but, again, your fine with the AK I'm sure -- it is a great, albeit big, pistol.

A coupla extra mags and a few hundred rounds that you always leave in inventory and you're set. Don't overdo it -- if its more than you can carry its probably too much.

Food, clothing, shelter, money?

Al

(Lehigh County)

I have a question for those of you who selected a .308 bolt with good glass.

Why the hell would you pick that in a SHTF situation? I don't know how else to ask that.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789