Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: SHTF rifle options:

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • AK is all you need, begin stockpile phase!

103 45.37%
  • Get something bigger but don't break the bank, maybe a Mosin and a couple spam cans.

13 5.73%
  • You need precision: .308 bolt or similar and good glass.

21 9.25%
  • Get a proper fucking battle rifle already!! Garand, FAL, M14, etc. Make it sturdy and semi.

90 39.65%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: SHTF rifle poll.......... again.

There are plenty of folks that use the AK as their primary weapon system. I don't see an issue with using an AK...makes sense to have more than one as well...you know the whole "two is one and one is none" theory.

My biggest concern about using x39 ammo is that if/when this country does not allow any imported ammo into the country. That is going to put a big hurt on AK owners. Big reason is that there are only a handful of US companies that make x39 and guess what...it's brass cased and not steel cased. The x39 brass cased ammo is pretty darn expensive. If you do plan to use your AKs as your primary...load up on some serious ammo.

I compare and think of the x39 as a 30-30 in terms of stopping power and range. The x29 will do more damage to a vehicle compared to a 55gr 223/5.56 projectile.

I think a factor to consider is...if you have friends...what weapon platform are they going to be using? You really don't want to be the odd man out. Say you have AK and the rest of your friends have AR15. You are screwed mag and ammo wise if you need to re-supply.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I compare and think of the x39 as a 30-30 in terms of stopping power and range. The x29 will do more damage to a vehicle compared to a 55gr 223/5.56 projectile.
    That is ENTIRELY dependent on bullet type. You can get a .224 bullet in a Barnes X............

Kind of like the .45 ACP vs. 9mm debate. Sectional density plays a role and when you factor in civilian hunting ammo.....things can change rapidly.

Lycanbutit'salwaysaapersonalchoicethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

FAL 308. anyday

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    There are plenty of folks that use the AK as their primary weapon system. I don't see an issue with using an AK...makes sense to have more than one as well...you know the whole "two is one and one is none" theory.

My biggest concern about using x39 ammo is that if/when this country does not allow any imported ammo into the country. That is going to put a big hurt on AK owners. Big reason is that there are only a handful of US companies that make x39 and guess what...it's brass cased and not steel cased. The x39 brass cased ammo is pretty darn expensive. If you do plan to use your AKs as your primary...load up on some serious ammo.

I think a factor to consider is...if you have friends...what weapon platform are they going to be using? You really don't want to be the odd man out. Say you have AK and the rest of your friends have AR15. You are screwed mag and ammo wise if you need to re-supply.
    Stock piling ammo makes sense if you plan on holing up in your home and live in a place where that is feasible. Unfortunately access to fresh water and food, while also being a place easily defended or out of the way enough to not be found... eliminates 90% of our homes. The reality is that you won't be able to carry that much around, and even the most capable vehicles are not going to last very long on destroyed roads and no real ability to service them. It won't be long before you are walking. And you can't exactly carry 10k rounds of 7.62x39 on your back. Which means you'll probably have to scavenge what you can. Making domestic caliber weapons much more desirable.

IMO this is the only down side of the AK.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Too many variables IMO.

I would still take a good 12g pump for sheer versatility if one long arm were the only option.
    +111111111111 Pump 12 guage for the win. It's a wildly effective gun in close quarters can you can accurately engage targets up to and beyond 75 yards with slugs. Of course, this will generally require using a stock. Pistol grips are pretty much close quarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lancaster County)

The AK, at least in my opinion, is the perfect rifle for SHTF. If I were only able to have a single gun, it would be an AK-47, chambered in 7.62x39.

It is a proven combat weapon. It's reliability is second to none. Ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful at the moment, making it easy to stockpile.
    The caliber is capable of taking down deer, the capacity makes it capable of defending against any attacking large animal as well. Clearly, it is an effective bad guy stopper as well. It is also highly regarded for penetration capability through vehicles, cinderblocks, and walls.

As for questions of accuracy...give me a break already. If you can't hit a man sized target, or a deer sized target at 200 yards with an AK using iron sights--with at least some consistency-- then either the sights aren't zeroed in properly, or you can't shoot. No amount of optics or high tech weaponry will help you in that case. Out in the SHTF world, it's unlikely that you will be firing at anything more than 200-250 yards away. You just aren't going to see it.

There are other great uses for an AK as well. You can use it to hammer in tent stakes very effectively. A sharpened bayonet makes a good hunting/cooking/general cutting stuff knife. It's mags are also effective hammers in many situations. It's bayonet is also a wire cutter.

Most repairs can be made with minimal tools, and it's cleaning supplies are carried in and on the gun itself. These are important factors when discussing surviving on foot.

5.56 is great for long distance accuracy, but you'll need a 20" barrel to keep up velocity and acheive effective fragmentation. So the 5.56 AK is pointless. The AR-15 platform is a more precision design, and thus requires more maintenance. This could prove difficult when traveling in a true SHTF situation. The caliber leaves a lot to be desired when discussing stopping power and penetration as well. It would also not be advisable to use your AR15 as a hammer.

.308 is an excellent caliber. Stopping power is certainly assured, and it can be used to take down larger animals at longer distances. You will however sacrifice magazine capacity as compared to 7.62x39 in most cases. This is very important when discussing on-foot travel. Your storage will be limited to possibly a few magazines in a pouch. Do you want 4 magazines with 20 rounds in them, or 4 magazines with 30 or 40 rounds in them?

Guns chambered in this round will also be much larger and heavier in most cases than an AK. They are also a good bit more obscure. You will be far more likely to find parts and magazines for AK's (and AR's for that matter) than you will for FAL's, CETME's etc.

7.62x54r is just plain bad ass. However, the cartridge is relatively obscure. Resupply will be nearly impossible during SHTF. The only semi auto guns in this caliber are also very large and heavy--not good for on foot survival. They also never feature greater than a 10 round capacity.

While the AK may not cover all the bases, it certainly covers more than anything else out there. At least in my humble opinion. In a true SHTF situation, particularly if you end up on foot, you're not going to drag around your entire gun collection. You're going to pick the most "all-purpose" weapon you've got and stash as much ammo as you can for it. That's going to be your AK.

As for the ammo availability question, my suggestion is have a plan. I don't care what gun you carry, if you don't have a disaster/get out of dodge plan, you're screwed. Know the places you might go and store at least a case of ammo in those places in advance. You aren't going to carry 10k rounds on your back, but you could theoretically carry 150-210 on your person, in the gun and in mags quite effectively. If you plan well, that can easily get you from point A to point B where you will have a resupply waiting.

(Schuylkill County)

Close quarters - Benelli M4 with buckshot
    Medium range - AR15
    Distance - M14/M1A
    III%

(Monroe County)

I voted .308 precision rifle. Not that it will cost a lot of money. I'm looking into the new Marlin xs line myself which is a great rifle for the money.

I have two AK's and while they are great for a man size upper torso to three hundred yards and a usable hunting option out to a hundred yards or so (depending if scoped which can extend it's range) they are not a precision shooter.

I think a scoped bolt action rounds out your bases nicely but I also don't look at the possibility of having to take my arsenal and everything else I will ever need with me. It's my castle and if your gonna kill me it will be their.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd get a plumber to see what is causing the leak from the 2nd floor bathroom.

Al

(Lehigh County)

I voted for the bolt gun. Since you already have the AKs.

If you want common calibers and or need to scavenge for ammo, you could get a bolt gun in .223. With a decent scope and some practice you should have no problems hitting man sized targets at 5-600 yds.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast