Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default So I figured out why my aim was off today...

At the range today, I noticed I was hitting to the left of where I was aiming. Now, I am a total noob to firearms, so it took me a few hours to figure out that the rear sight on my P85 is set for right windage!

DAMMIT!

And I don't have the right size allen key to adjust it.

DAMMIT X2!

Bah humbug.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: So I figured out why my aim was off today...

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    At the range today, I noticed I was hitting to the left of where I was aiming. Now, I am a total noob to firearms, so it took me a few hours to figure out that the rear sight on my P85 is set for right windage!

DAMMIT!

And I don't have the right size allen key to adjust it.

DAMMIT X2!

Bah humbug.
    You move the rear sight the direction you want the impact to go. So if you are shooting left and the rear sight has "right windage" applied. It sounds like you need to move the rear sight to the right more. However, I'd bench the pistol (the best you can) and shoot at a target at about 7 yards, make sure you pull the trigger real slow. If it still shoots to the left, have another person shoot it, if they shoot to the left too, then its the gun and not you, proceed to adjust the sights. If the other person shoots on the money, then its most likely your shooting technique is causing the issue.
    Last edited by Hawk; February 22nd, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You move the rear sight the direction you want the impact to go. So if you are shooting left and the rear sight has "right windage" applied. It sounds like you need to move the rear sight to the right more. However, I'd bench the pistol (the best you can) and shoot at a target at about 7 yards, make sure you pull the trigger real slow. If it still shoots to the left, have another person shoot it, if they shoot to the left too, then its the gun and not you, proceed to adjust the sights. If the other person shoots on the money, then its most likely your shooting technique is causing the issue.
    Truth.^

Had a friend with a sigma who had a similar problem, but was shooting low and to the right. I could tell it was his technique (because of the heavy long pull on the sigma) so I kept making repeated suggestions to squeeze and not pull...which he didn't head and he declared the sights were off "or something"

Throwing fresh paper up and showing proper (or as proper as I can do..I'm no expert) technique had him going "ohhh, like that..."

(Philadelphia County)

I bet you the problem is somewhere between the butt of the grip and the ground just under your shoes.

Since you are an admitted noob, don't be too quickly on blaming the gun. Have an experienced shooter try out your gun. Try shooting someone else's gun, especially if they have a P85 or something similar.

Al

(Delaware County)

It may very well be me - in fact, it most likely is - all I am saying is that when inspecting the gun last night, I noticed that the rear sight is ever so slightly to the left of center. This might explain why the holes in the target were mostly on the left half.

Don't worry, I suck and I know it.