This morning, our local paper ran a front-page story on the potential effect of the new Federal State park law on Valley Forge National Park.

http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2...0007659947.txt

Here are the most noteworthy exceprts:

"And starting Monday, visitors to Valley Forge can emulate those soldiers in more ways than just standing around in a cold, snowy field. As they walk its trails and visit its monuments, tourists will be allowed to carry guns — handguns, rifles, shotguns and AK-47s."

and the punchline:

"And what if they encountered a visitor on the park trail carrying a gun?

"I'd leave," said Skarbowski.

"I'd be like, honey, we're going now," Keefer echoed. "It would make me think I was out in redneck country."

I spoke to a Park ranger this morning to get his perspective. He confirmed that the new Federal law only means that PA state law will be in effect in the park. This means that open carry is allowed and concealed carry requires proper licensing.

He also indicated that some local groups will exercise their right to carry openly starting Monday. As a gun owner and CCW licensee, I think that is a terrible idea and urge anyone who has plans to do so to reconsider. We fight very hard to keep our right to bear arms legal and recognized. Flaunting this right in the face of people who do not agree only reinforces their negative opinion of gun owners and is counterproductive.

I hope these groups and individuals will recognize that this only hurts our cause and galvanizes anti-gun advocates and those on the fence. Enjoy your newly recognized right to carry concealed on park grounds but, PLEASE, don't strap your AR-15 to your back for a stroll in the park.

Molon Labe.