Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Teaching Teens - Safety - Target - Practical - Tactical

I have safety trained, taught, supervised, and coached a few youth shooters
    including family members and ohana.

I have never taught anyone under 21 that I have not known for years and years. I have overseen ranges where there were young shooters I did not know, but I did not teach them.

How besides the young persons interest, the parents views on maturity and appropriateness, and personal surface observations can we evaluate which young people (from ages 7, 8, - 12, 13 - 15,16 - 17,18) that we have not known for years, should be taught which shooting skills??

A friend suggested that the martial arts have dealt with this problem adequately. I see vast differences between traditional schools and children's fun, or MMA training schools, so I don't know how true this is or where to start. Maybe someone can explain, my friend cannot do it in words.

Another friend said that their paintball and airsoft experience and things like Columbine indicate that no one can tell what will happen after a young person is initially evaluated and trained because they change and turn their backs on upbringing and training.

If you were going to do more than coach just a very few young people that you have known for years, how would you decide what you would and would not teach them on an individual basis?

Thanks

and

Aloha

Default Re: Teaching Teens - Safety - Target - Practical - Tactical

The skill set I teach everyone I have ever taught is simple. Safety. With few exceptions....including adults, if someone has never fired a gun I start with an unloaded bb gun. They must also be able to recite the Four Rules BEFORE going to the range. Just watch how they handle the bb gun. Then we load the bb gun and fire off a few dozen. You'll know better quickly if their ready for a firearm. I don't care at all if they hit the target, I watch like a hawk for safety. As I see it, everything else branches off from that. I hardly watch the target...I'm focused on technique at the bench. I know if their high, low, side to side from the barrel. I do correct those before they fire. I want a straight line towards the target. After they prove they can properly aim....and properly put the gun down(open action, mag removed, downrange, visual check) I begin helping with targeting skills. That is when I watch the target and make aimming recommendations.

As for maturity, what did they do with the bb gun? Did I have to repeatedly correct safety rules? Are they "playing" with the gun? Are they talking about shooting people, animals or objects not identified as a target? Big red flags in those.

In the case of my youngest, and as for shooting, most talanted daughter we began as stated above only more intense. Lots of bb time in the woods with several types and powers. Then indoor range time. Then outdoors. All the while I harped on safety. As she showed good skills we aquired a 10/22 for her and scoped it. Then a .410. She loves the .32 S&W Long revolver now. I feel I could put her on the line and leave her alone now. But I don't. She is still just a child (12) and firearm responsibility is still on me. But I have yet to need to correct her safety. I give pointers for aimming, stances, grip, etc. She also aced her F.I.R.S.T. basic pistol course at ClassicPistol, even outdid her mother. And everyone else in the class.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; February 21st, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Along these lines, are there any "Eddy Eagle" type training materials posted online?

Is this something worth posting as a download available from PAFOA?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Along these lines, are there any "Eddy Eagle" type training materials posted online?

Is this something worth posting as a download available from PAFOA?

You may find the following to be useful ...

http://www.nssf.org/requestForms/safetyDVD.cfm

The National Shooting Sports Foundation offers a free Firearms Safety Education DVD, broken into 3 segments:

-- a K thru 6th grade segment, hosted by McGruff the Crime Dog (15 min.)
    -- a 6th thru 9th grade segment (12 min.)
    -- a third segment, for older "General" audiences (13 min.)

The first two segments each have 3 free pdf files in support of the video material specific to that segment :

-- Teacher's / Instructor's Guide with Q & A and talking points
    -- Brochure on the presentation of that segment
    (geared towards Educators but useful to "pre-sell" the presentation to parents, and for parents to use afterwards to reinforce the key points)
    -- Safety Pledge "Certificate"
    (DVD and the Safety Pledge reinforce the same basic rules as the NRA's Eddie Eagle program: "Stop! Don't touch. Leave the area immediately. Find an adult.")

You do not need to be an instructor / educator / teacher to request the free DVD or use any of the associated support materials.
    Anyone can request the DVD at no charge.
    For example, you could obtain the DVD even if you only intend on using it in support of your own educational processes with your own children.

(NSSF also offers other materials at minimal cost ($1 each) for members: http://nssf.org/lit/ )

Viewer responses to the interactive materials and Q & A can aid you in assessing the viewer's "maturity / responsibility" level so that you could then proceed to hands on training with a fascimile of a firearm, airsoft gun, air rifle, youth sized 22 LR firearms, etc ... as appropriate.

One of my experiences: I had two of my nieces (at the time ages 7 & 12) view the videos. We discussed the content both during (DVD paused) and after the segments.
    (The 7 year old had me copy the "McGruff" piece for her to watch over and over, 'cause "McGruff sounds funny and he's cool!".)
    After a couple of weekends reinforcing the basics via airsoft guns, we then spent a day at my rural second home where they each had to shoulder and be 110% responsible for a 22 rifle apiece (unloaded / bolt removed) for several hours during a leisurely hike of my property, reinforcing such items as always keeping the muzzle in a safe direction, what to do when you approach a fence / obstacle, etc ... then a picnic lunch, an afternoon of plinking at bullseye targets, then lastly just for fun shooting at ketchup packets & balloons stapled to cardboard.

We've repeated this day many times since, but the first day spent together shooting will forever be one of my fondest memories.

... hope this helps ...
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; August 20th, 2010 at 01:38 AM.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Cambria County)

I often teach new shooters, both privately and in a class. For minors I require a parent to be present. The parent must be involved for a yougnster to shoot, otherwise there will be not be proper supervision after the lesson.
    NRA Training Counselor
    CRSO Wooster Mt State Range, CT
    Last edited by Rodolfo Fierro; August 24th, 2010 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
    You may find the following to be useful ...

http://www.nssf.org/requestForms/safetyDVD.cfm

We've repeated this day many times since, but the first day spent together shooting will forever be one of my fondest memories.

... hope this helps ...
    Thanks much, I've sent in a request.

Thank you very much for the link! We homeschool, and I was looking for information in order to teach my oldest (11) and possibly some of her younger siblings gun safety.