Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SKS prices

(Philadelphia County)

Default SKS prices

Why is it that the AR's and AK's have come back down in price, but it seems the SKS's have not?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: SKS prices

While I haven't really paid too much attention to AR and AK prices, I'll guess that SKS's not coming down has more to do with the fact that there are only "X" amount of them left for import.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

I agree with s.bass, a matter of supply and demand.
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

Oh ok, that makes complete sense!

(Monroe County)

As the previous poster states . . . the reason for the SKS prices not going down is that there is only a fixed, or perhaps diminishing number of SKS carbines in existence in North America. Another factor is that many good original SKS carbines are ruined by the Bubba community in various home garage abortions in efforts to make the guns more "tactical". (whatever that's suppose to mean?) There is also an SKS collectible aspect to consider.

On the other hand, dealers are offering blow-out sale prices now on very good AK rifles. Seems that during the Kenyan Presidential election hysteria of 2008-2009, everybody and their sister was putting together Kalashnikov rifles from foreign surplus parts kits. There are currently some excellent deals to be had.

Meanwhile, the market is also flooded with punched out plastic and aluminum AR rifles. At the Wind Gap show yesterday there was a lot of AR based rifles for sale. At least a couple of dealers had AR carbines in the box new for $429. Spotted at least one tag with a mark down price of $399 for a brand new generic brand AR15 shorty.

At the show yesterday, there were a few Yugo SKS and one Romanian carbine. The Yugos were well used and priced over $400 with ratty Romy at something like $360.

Paid $300 each late last year for two as-new Yugo SKS carbines still some cosmoline. In 2009, I paid the same for a 1950 Russian SKS in very good condition. Recently, the SKS carbines encountered on the private market have either been beaters, missing parts or some sort of botched tactical upgrade. Unlike ARs and AKs, reasonably priced original SKS carbines seem to be getting harder to find.

(Philadelphia County)

How do I tell the difference between a good SKS and a cheap one?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
    <snip>

Meanwhile, the market is also flooded with punched out plastic and aluminum AR rifles. At the Wind Gap show yesterday there was a lot of AR based rifles for sale. At least a couple of dealers had AR carbines in the box new for $429. Spotted at least one tag with a mark down price of $399 for a brand new generic brand AR15 shorty.

<snip>
    You're shiiting, right?

They must've been S&W M&P-15/.22's or Umarex "Colts" - I couldn't imagine a .556 AR for under $600.00. Shiit, highest-end airsoft M4rgeries are often seen at $300.00 for a KWA, CA or TM.

If so - WTF, I could kick a baby for missing that show! Shiit...
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Chester County)

Spend your money however you like, but I'll never understand today's SKS prices: SKSes priced at 75% of AK price. When SKS was $150 it was a great bargain. I sold my only SKS last year. The only advantage is that an "average" SKS is a little more accurate than a "average/surplus/used" Romy or stamped receiver Yugo AK. SKS & AK are simple, rugged, dependable and half the cost of a bargain AR-15. In today's market, my advice is spend an extra $100 and get an AK. Unless you love the SKS. Again *freedom* spend your money however you like.

(Monroe County)

They must've been S&W M&P-15/.22's or Umarex "Colts" - I couldn't imagine a .556 AR for under $600.00. Shiit, highest-end airsoft M4rgeries are often seen at $300.00 for a KWA, CA or TM.

Really . . . The Wind Gap, PA show is still going on as I type this. If you want one, bop on down there and fetch a .223 AR carbine or two new in the box for $430 each or less. Like I said, there was one AR shorty carbine on top of a about five others in their boxes marked $399. These were some off brand with a name like "Nemo & Scmonk" stamped on the side. Asked the one dealer if they were real ARs or replicas or bb guns? Being the expected sociopath gun show dealer, the guy snarled back at me that it was real. He then pointed at some AR .223 mags saying "that's what it uses". With that he turned his back while mumbling something under his breath. Great sales technique! Maybe if somebody were to buy two or three of the things, they can be had for less. The market is flooded with this stuff and dollars are getting scarcer with each passing day.

The $600 plus prices for Joe Blow generic ARs are set by people who paid through the nose during the post election hysteria last year and are trying to re-coup a lousy investment. Brand names like Colt or high end ARs are naturally holding their value better, but buyers with fat bank rolls just aren't around much anymore.

Had a Colt heavy barrel AR match rifle (so-called) in it's box that I sold last spring to an acquaintance. Thing had been sitting in a closest unfired. Dumped it for $800 which I what paid a few years ago. Had a hard time selling it even then and entertaining tentative swaps just to get rid of it.

Expect as the next wave of recession / depression rolls in, within the next few months, prices could fall further on not only firearms but most other "durable" goods.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; February 21st, 2010 at 01:40 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
    As the previous poster states . . . the reason for the SKS prices not going down is that there is only a fixed, or perhaps diminishing number of SKS carbines in existence

I knew there was a reason that I sold off 2 AK's and my AR, other that to generate some cash, and kept my 10 SKS's. And people called me crazy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast